• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traffic stop, tried a few things for the benfit of all

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Personally, and I think this is always a personal matter, I wouldn't have informed the officer that I was exercising a constitutional right. I know guns can be dangerous in certain situations, but you and I know the firearm was safer for everybody where it was in the car, untouched. If every time I heard of an individual telling an officer he was armed turned out to be uneventful and beneficial for the carrier, I might consider informing. But there is definitely an element of uncertainty with police officers (as with all people). You don't know if the officer will be a strong proponent of firearms or if he will freak out or if he will call for backup and keep you sitting around for ten minutes longer than he should have. For me I think the negatives outweigh the positives, so I won't be informing any officers if and when I get pulled over while armed.

Rich B

This is precisely why I do not inform and why I recommend others do not.

Officers and non-LEOs alike should always assume everyone is armed. The fact that they are armed should change nothing in the manner in which you deal with them.

Tosta Dojen

He instructed me to slowly remove the pistol from the door panel using 2 fingers on the grip and hand it to him. I did this

There is no way on earth that I would ever, ever do what this officer instructed you to do. I've heard about a man who was in exactly this situation, except that unbeknownst to either him or the officer, a second officer had stopped to see if his help was needed. He was just walking up behind the vehicle when he saw the motorist open his glove box and pull out a gun. That officer opened fire and killed the motorist for complying with the first officer's orders.

If I'm being confronted by an officer who thinks I might be a threat, I do not want to put a gun in my hand. If the officer's not an idiot, he shouldn't want that to happen either. If he really wants my gun, he'll have to take it himself, because I'm not touching it.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I got a ticket in the same place ... they just sit there.

Did he give you an actual speeding ticket or a ticket for violating a traffic control device.

I would ask that the ticket be replaced with an information (see CT Practice Rule 36-11) before you plead.

I won my speeding case ....

Oh, and telling a cop you have a gun? Not a smart move. Its best if they don't know. What if you would have needed it?

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

Snipped
I've heard about a man who was in exactly this situation, except that unbeknownst to either him or the officer, a second officer had stopped to see if his help was needed. He was just walking up behind the vehicle when he saw the motorist open his glove box and pull out a gun. That officer opened fire and killed the motorist for complying with the first officer's orders.

Cite, please.

Gunslinger

Hi all,

This will be lengthy I apologize for that I will do my best to stay concise. I was pulled over for the first time today while carrying. For some reason, when I knew it was clear I would be stopped (I was doing 80 on route 9, just south of Middletown which is a 65 zone) I decided I would not tuck my Ruger LCP on my waistband as I usually do when I think I am about to be pulled over. I know that there is no law saying the pistol has to be on my person while in my car, but I also know that some in the genereal public, and some police officers misunderstand this. Therefore, I left it in the door panel where it was resting.

Secondly, although I know there is not a duty to report to the officer that you are armed, I chose to report this to the state police officer by handing him my permit with the rest of my paperwork. I wanted to get the reaction of the officer in what I feel is a situation that would put him at ease, and see how he reacted to my legal carry. I am a young, clean cut male, age 30. I drive a 2011 model sedan, that is not flashy and is extremely non-descript. I have matching addresses on my drivers license and pistol permit, both in Farmington. I also have a clean driving record and criminal record. I was extremely respectful and calm with the officer, as was my passenger, my co-worker who is a clean cut woman in her mid-40's. We were both wearing our matching work uniforms (We are fitness trainers).

On the first issue, the pistol not being on my person directly, the officer did not question it at all. He did however, choose to disarm me. He instructed me to slowly remove the pistol from the door panel using 2 fingers on the grip and hand it to him. I did this, informing him the Ruger was hot, and does not have a safety. I did not protest this to him (though I believe it was unneeded) because I was certainly breaking the law (speeding) so his stop of me was legitmate, and for research purposes, I offered my permit. He asked if there were any other weapons in the car, to which I truthfully responded there were not. He then he informed me he stopped me for doing 80 in a 65 and said he would return shortly. Though not particularly flowery or friendly, the officer was straightforward and courteous.

After 5 minutes I saw the officer replace his pen up on his visor after he finished writing the ticket. I expected his return anytime, but another 10 minutes passed while he would intermittently talk on his radio, and fiddle with his hat. Suddenly, another cruiser pulled up lights on. I began to worry thinking they would remove me from the car. If I failed to mention it before all of my paperwork is in order and there should have been no issues.

The next part I found annoying, a waste of my and the states time and money. The second officer stopped his crusier, exchanged a few words with the original officer, and they both approached with the ticket envelope and the new officer had his hand on his weapon. The call for back up to return a safed, secured weapon seemed totally unneeded. Also the hand on the gun also made me feel like a criminal, not a person legally carrying.

The original officer explained the usual things about how to pay the ticket, etc. He then informed me my cleared and locked back weapon, magazine, and loose round were in the envelope with the ticket. (I love how small the LCP is). He then told me to have a nice day, (not in the cocky snide way) and to be careful entering traffic.

So there is a little field research on what can happen if you declare you are carrying. I have read stories for other states where the officer says "good for you, you should be" or "if you don't touch yours I won't touch mine" or something to that extent. In my one and only experience, it was a hassle and annoyance, that made me late for a meeting. However, I must say I was treated respectfully by the officers, even though their little backup show seemed to be a bit overkill.

I welcome comments, questions, criticisms, etc.
Well, as you live in a gulag, about as well as could be expected.