Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Range. Stafford, Virginia.

The Range. Stafford, Virginia.

This is a rant, but I want to let people know what they're in for if they decide to go shooting here.

There's this one place called "The Range" in Stafford, Virginia. I cannot begin to describe how rude the owner is. He's the only employee there and can't say a single sentence without belittling you in some way. The last time my friend and I went, we were inquiring how we should pay, and he said "just give me your ******* card". When I asked for a receipt, I was greeted with a "it doesn't ******* matter anyways". That was the last time we will ever go there, we spent 400 bucks all together within a month there and were looking for a regular place to shoot every week.

It is the only range in the area, I hope someone else opens up nearby so we can have a place to shoot.

“The Range”, where men are men and the easily offended stay home.

Paul never bought into the politically correct BS and he can be a little “rough around the edges”.
    Once you get to know him you’ll understand that it’s his brand of humor.
    Last edited by coondog22554; 02-03-2012 at 08:23 AM.
    USAF Retired
    Certified Glock Armorer
    -------------
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. --- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot2A View Post
    This is a rant, but I want to let people know what they're in for if they decide to go shooting here.

There's this one place called "The Range" in Stafford, Virginia. I cannot begin to describe how rude the owner is. He's the only employee there and can't say a single sentence without belittling you in some way. The last time my friend and I went, we were inquiring how we should pay, and he said "just give me your ******* card". When I asked for a receipt, I was greeted with a "it doesn't ******* matter anyways". That was the last time we will ever go there, we spent 400 bucks all together within a month there and were looking for a regular place to shoot every week.

It is the only range in the area, I hope someone else opens up nearby so we can have a place to shoot.
    I understand what you are saying. If you are going to get shafted at least he should use some K-Y jelly. You are not the first person who have the same feelings. Stopped there one time and heard the same type of comments. I just turned around and left.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot2A View Post
    Izaak Walton League

Izaak Walton League of America Inc
    2729 Garrisonville Road
    Stafford, Virginia 22556-3412

I haven't personally been there but I know a couple casual shooters in your area who are members. Believe they have a 25-yard pistol range and a 100-yard rifle range. One of the guys told me there's a major upgrade of the covered pistol range planned this spring. (Outdoor only)
    Daily carry: SIG P229 .40 S&W

Quote Originally Posted by coondog22554 View Post

Paul never bought into the politically correct BS and he can be a little “rough around the edges”.
    I think it's fine to interact that way with somebody you know on a personal level, but with brand new customers who are spending money it is an insane way to act.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    I understand what you are saying. If you are going to get shafted at least he should use some K-Y jelly. You are not the first person who have the same feelings. Stopped there one time and heard the same type of comments. I just turned around and left.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he was having a bad day, but the next two times were no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Izaak Walton League

Izaak Walton League of America Inc
    2729 Garrisonville Road
    Stafford, Virginia 22556-3412

I haven't personally been there but I know a couple casual shooters in your area who are members. Believe they have a 25-yard pistol range and a 100-yard rifle range. One of the guys told me there's a major upgrade of the covered pistol range planned this spring. (Outdoor only)
    Thank you for that. I will certainly be giving it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by coondog22554 View Post

I totally agree. Paul's just yanking your chain to see if he can ruffle your feathers. Yank his back. Ask him where the cappuccino machine is...

I read this post and thought to myself "I wonder if Ron Hess moved away from Norfolk?"
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

I noticed at one of the ranges I go to that they are like that. After I went a few times I realized the guy is like that with everyone. Doesn't bother me as long as I knkow everyone is getting the same type of service. I just verbally smack him the same way he smacks me. He seems to like it.

2 years late to the party, but I have a question about The Range.

I stopped by a couple of weeks ago, and there was a large sign on the door that stated that all firearms must be unloaded before entering. I've never heard of such a posting at a range & was wondering what others had seen before. I am fully onboard with keeping firearms unloaded until they are in use (like if I were carrying one in my shooting bag), but I was open-carrying my Dan Wesson .357, and I consider that 'in use.' The wording on the sign didn't seem to be offering me the option to keep my self-defense weapon loaded, and I'm not keen on that. The place was slammed with customers, so I didn't ask, but wanted to see if I could get a little feedback on what others thought, perhaps even those who have shot there.
    Last edited by Joe G.; 02-04-2014 at 09:00 AM.

my couple a cents..

Most ranges are also gun shops. If the gun is in the holster, and you aren't touching it except at the actual firing line, most won't say anything. The sign is for the bozos that come in with their gun on their hip, and want to buy/try a new holster, and such...I've seen a manager send a guy out to unload his gun in the parking lot, among a half a dozen others in the shop, all open carrying..
    The Second Amendment is in place
    in case the politicians ignore the others

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

"Cold Ranges" are becoming the norm, and I'm actually OK with it. Not everyone in there is Carlos Hathcock or Eldon Carl. After you've been swept a dozen times by new AND seasoned firearm owners, you might feel the same way. Not everyone in there is knowledgable of the firearm they are handling. Or they simply don't think. That's not limited to new shooters. Some of the scariest handlers I've been around are long time owners and are a tragedy waiting to happen. Not everyone is as you....unique, the epitome of firearm safety, the text book example of firearm handling at the range. The majority is the opposite. I've been a Range Safety Officer since '98. I'd like to extend the time I do that as long as I can. A Cold Range goes a long way towards making that happen.

Same guy that is perfectly safe and capable carrying a defensive weapon, effective and competent to defend against attack can just as easily put a round through your gut or head at a range while he tries to figure out how to eject the round in his carry gun or the one he borrowed, to load up with target ammo. Yes. I know. All hot weapons should be pointed downrange. Few ranges have snipers on every lane to enforce that. Besides, it's hard to build a customer base when the snipers scare the customers more than the risk of a negligent discharge.

I know we can't predict when or where we will need to defend ourselves. I'm for taking the risk of a truce or cease fire at a range. An "honor amongst thieves" treaty where we all agree not to shoot or attack each other at the range. Once we step back out onto the street, no holds barred. Back to wide spread spray and pray. I understand I'm not as jaded or worldly as some, that Mack Bolin was based on real life figures that take a 1911 in the shower with them, won't hit the head without stringing trip wire around the compound before they do their bidness. Most of the Sgt. Fury types don't need range time. They get it in out there in the jungle us sheep call the streets. For those that into the mercenary life, there's private ranges.

Put to a poll, put me down for all to point that muzzle in the sand barrel and unload before we wave those firesticks around like we won 'em at the county fair.
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

"People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

I shoot here just about 3 times a months. Never had a issue. Owner is riot.

Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    I read this post and thought to myself "I wonder if Ron Hess moved away from Norfolk?"
    That is damn funny!

Strange thing is, I too thought of Ron Hess, who lost my business and respect over his insulting and ignorant comments about a Swedish Mauser.
    fág an bealach
    ACTA NON VERBA
    At OCDO there are two things that are not tolerated, open carry intolerance and long gun open carry.
    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Malarkey View Post
    "Cold Ranges" are becoming the norm, and I'm actually OK with it. Not everyone in there is Carlos Hathcock or Eldon Carl. After you've been swept a dozen times by new AND seasoned firearm owners, you might feel the same way. Not everyone in there is knowledgable of the firearm they are handling. Or they simply don't think. That's not limited to new shooters. Some of the scariest handlers I've been around are long time owners and are a tragedy waiting to happen. Not everyone is as you....unique, the epitome of firearm safety, the text book example of firearm handling at the range. The majority is the opposite. I've been a Range Safety Officer since '98. I'd like to extend the time I do that as long as I can. A Cold Range goes a long way towards making that happen.

Same guy that is perfectly safe and capable carrying a defensive weapon, effective and competent to defend against attack can just as easily put a round through your gut or head at a range while he tries to figure out how to eject the round in his carry gun or the one he borrowed, to load up with target ammo. Yes. I know. All hot weapons should be pointed downrange. Few ranges have snipers on every lane to enforce that. Besides, it's hard to build a customer base when the snipers scare the customers more than the risk of a negligent discharge.

I know we can't predict when or where we will need to defend ourselves. I'm for taking the risk of a truce or cease fire at a range. An "honor amongst thieves" treaty where we all agree not to shoot or attack each other at the range. Once we step back out onto the street, no holds barred. Back to wide spread spray and pray. I understand I'm not as jaded or worldly as some, that Mack Bolin was based on real life figures that take a 1911 in the shower with them, won't hit the head without stringing trip wire around the compound before they do their bidness. Most of the Sgt. Fury types don't need range time. They get it in out there in the jungle us sheep call the streets. For those that into the mercenary life, there's private ranges.

Put to a poll, put me down for all to point that muzzle in the sand barrel and unload before we wave those firesticks around like we won 'em at the county fair.
    Sharpshooters in Lorton is similar. The difference is they have the rule, but only enforce it when they feel like it.

If I had another place to shoot ... the NRA range and others are just not reasonable given the traffic around here.

I will not, however, willingly join the "unload at the range" crowd. A loaded, holstered firearm is no more dangerous than an unloaded, holstered firearm.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    Sharpshooters in Lorton is similar. The difference is they have the rule, but only enforce it when they feel like it.

If I had another place to shoot ... the NRA range and others are just not reasonable given the traffic around here.

I will not, however, willingly join the "unload at the range" crowd. A loaded, holstered firearm is no more dangerous than an unloaded, holstered firearm.
    I agree with Tess. While Sharpshooters is a very good range, it is somewhat demeaning to have to carry unloaded into their storefront. I understand that they cater to shooters with a wide range of experience, from the never-shot-before people to those who visit the range regularly to hone their skills, but this same phenomenon exists at the NRA range and I have not heard of any incidents there. When on the NRA range itself, there are always RSOs keeping an eye on all of the shooters, because even experienced shooters may -- at times -- lay a cleared, locked-open and flagged firearm on the table with the muzzle not quite downrange, especially if they are working with multiple firearms. The NRA RSOs are very good at gently reminding such a shooter where the muzzle should be pointing.

I live a bit closer to the NRA range and since I am "retired" I can pick a non-traffic time to go back and forth. Even though Sharpshooters is a lot closer to me, I just have a problem with the need to "disarm" myself when entering the building.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor -- Pistol, Rifle, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection in the Home, First Steps Orientation (Pistol and Rifle)
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    VCDL Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    actually, that is part of my point. a loaded, holstered firearm is less dangerous than an unloaded, holstered firearm. neither is a threat unto itself, but the useless hunk of metal that the unloaded weapon equates to is a threat to those who need to respond ...

btb, I read the TSA blog regularly (travel way too much for biz), and I laugh every time I see their stats. they say something like: "37 guns found, and 31 loaded". to me, that tells me 2 things: 1) they are wasting money (everything they find could have been found by pre-911 security for much less $$, and 2) there are at least 6 fools out there who carry a useless, heavy hunk of metal on their person or nearby, without it being usable in any way ...

Love the NRA range and can't say anything bad about it. Got a loaded firearm? No problem. Just keep it where it's at. We live about an hour from it, much further than The Range, but it's much classier. The wife noticed it immediately. Additional plus is that their ammo prices are very reasonable; also you can use shotguns and rifles.

Well worth the extra travel time.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Makes me feel good every time I read about burb ranges. My club has a 50 yard pistol range and a 210 rifle/pistol range and I can carry any way I like, full skeet and trap stations, an archery range. a clubhouse and I am almost always the only person there.

If I need a little more room, I have a 1500 yard range and a combat trail on my farm.

I've been thinking about hiring dog hunters as moving target holders.
    Last edited by peter nap; 02-04-2014 at 11:20 PM.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    --snipped--
    I've been thinking about hiring dog hunters as moving target holders.
    80,000 target holders? Would have to line them all up in a straight line like dominos
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    80,000 target holders? Would have to line them all up in a straight line like dominos
    Might be up to 89,0000 by now Grape
    Last edited by peter nap; 02-05-2014 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    ... a clubhouse and I am almost always the only person there.
    Really small clubhouse?
    Last edited by BillB; 02-05-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    Really small clubhouse?
    From what I have heard, it is a really nice facility.

Peter doesn't go there often on the week-ends, mostly during the week when everyone else has their nose to the grindstone.

It is not that Peter doesn't like people, he does.................just collectively at a distance.

He has a new group of friends........79,999 of them.
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    Really small clubhouse?
    Not real big...

10,000 square feet

Last edited by peter nap; 02-05-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Nice looking club and clubhouse. I note more than the usual skeet ranges. I used to shoot a lot of skeet in the 70s. Seems I just shoot mainly pistols these days.
    Last edited by BillB; 02-05-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast