• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Range. Stafford, Virginia.

Patriot2A

This is a rant, but I want to let people know what they're in for if they decide to go shooting here.

There's this one place called "The Range" in Stafford, Virginia. I cannot begin to describe how rude the owner is. He's the only employee there and can't say a single sentence without belittling you in some way. The last time my friend and I went, we were inquiring how we should pay, and he said "just give me your ******* card". When I asked for a receipt, I was greeted with a "it doesn't ******* matter anyways". That was the last time we will ever go there, we spent 400 bucks all together within a month there and were looking for a regular place to shoot every week.

It is the only range in the area, I hope someone else opens up nearby so we can have a place to shoot.

coondog22554

“The Range”, where men are men and the easily offended stay home. :)

Paul never bought into the politically correct BS and he can be a little “rough around the edges”.
Once you get to know him you’ll understand that it’s his brand of humor.

Last edited:

kenny

This is a rant, but I want to let people know what they're in for if they decide to go shooting here.

There's this one place called "The Range" in Stafford, Virginia. I cannot begin to describe how rude the owner is. He's the only employee there and can't say a single sentence without belittling you in some way. The last time my friend and I went, we were inquiring how we should pay, and he said "just give me your ******* card". When I asked for a receipt, I was greeted with a "it doesn't ******* matter anyways". That was the last time we will ever go there, we spent 400 bucks all together within a month there and were looking for a regular place to shoot every week.

It is the only range in the area, I hope someone else opens up nearby so we can have a place to shoot.

I understand what you are saying. If you are going to get shafted at least he should use some K-Y jelly. You are not the first person who have the same feelings. Stopped there one time and heard the same type of comments. I just turned around and left.

Felix

Izaak Walton League

Izaak Walton League of America Inc
2729 Garrisonville Road
Stafford, Virginia 22556-3412

I haven't personally been there but I know a couple casual shooters in your area who are members. Believe they have a 25-yard pistol range and a 100-yard rifle range. One of the guys told me there's a major upgrade of the covered pistol range planned this spring. (Outdoor only)

Patriot2A

Paul never bought into the politically correct BS and he can be a little “rough around the edges”.

I think it's fine to interact that way with somebody you know on a personal level, but with brand new customers who are spending money it is an insane way to act.

Patriot2A

I understand what you are saying. If you are going to get shafted at least he should use some K-Y jelly. You are not the first person who have the same feelings. Stopped there one time and heard the same type of comments. I just turned around and left.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he was having a bad day, but the next two times were no different.

Izaak Walton League

Izaak Walton League of America Inc
2729 Garrisonville Road
Stafford, Virginia 22556-3412

I haven't personally been there but I know a couple casual shooters in your area who are members. Believe they have a 25-yard pistol range and a 100-yard rifle range. One of the guys told me there's a major upgrade of the covered pistol range planned this spring. (Outdoor only)

Thank you for that. I will certainly be giving it a try.

eyesopened

I totally agree. Paul's just yanking your chain to see if he can ruffle your feathers. Yank his back. Ask him where the cappuccino machine is...

Steeler-gal

I noticed at one of the ranges I go to that they are like that. After I went a few times I realized the guy is like that with everyone. Doesn't bother me as long as I knkow everyone is getting the same type of service. I just verbally smack him the same way he smacks me. He seems to like it. :eek:

Joe G.

2 years late to the party, but I have a question about The Range.

I stopped by a couple of weeks ago, and there was a large sign on the door that stated that all firearms must be unloaded before entering. I've never heard of such a posting at a range & was wondering what others had seen before. I am fully onboard with keeping firearms unloaded until they are in use (like if I were carrying one in my shooting bag), but I was open-carrying my Dan Wesson .357, and I consider that 'in use.' The wording on the sign didn't seem to be offering me the option to keep my self-defense weapon loaded, and I'm not keen on that. The place was slammed with customers, so I didn't ask, but wanted to see if I could get a little feedback on what others thought, perhaps even those who have shot there.

Last edited:

Red Dawg

my couple a cents..

Most ranges are also gun shops. If the gun is in the holster, and you aren't touching it except at the actual firing line, most won't say anything. The sign is for the bozos that come in with their gun on their hip, and want to buy/try a new holster, and such...I've seen a manager send a guy out to unload his gun in the parking lot, among a half a dozen others in the shop, all open carrying..

Fuller Malarkey

"Cold Ranges" are becoming the norm, and I'm actually OK with it. Not everyone in there is Carlos Hathcock or Eldon Carl. After you've been swept a dozen times by new AND seasoned firearm owners, you might feel the same way. Not everyone in there is knowledgable of the firearm they are handling. Or they simply don't think. That's not limited to new shooters. Some of the scariest handlers I've been around are long time owners and are a tragedy waiting to happen. Not everyone is as you....unique, the epitome of firearm safety, the text book example of firearm handling at the range. The majority is the opposite. I've been a Range Safety Officer since '98. I'd like to extend the time I do that as long as I can. A Cold Range goes a long way towards making that happen.

Same guy that is perfectly safe and capable carrying a defensive weapon, effective and competent to defend against attack can just as easily put a round through your gut or head at a range while he tries to figure out how to eject the round in his carry gun or the one he borrowed, to load up with target ammo. Yes. I know. All hot weapons should be pointed downrange. Few ranges have snipers on every lane to enforce that. Besides, it's hard to build a customer base when the snipers scare the customers more than the risk of a negligent discharge.

I know we can't predict when or where we will need to defend ourselves. I'm for taking the risk of a truce or cease fire at a range. An "honor amongst thieves" treaty where we all agree not to shoot or attack each other at the range. Once we step back out onto the street, no holds barred. Back to wide spread spray and pray. I understand I'm not as jaded or worldly as some, that Mack Bolin was based on real life figures that take a 1911 in the shower with them, won't hit the head without stringing trip wire around the compound before they do their bidness. Most of the Sgt. Fury types don't need range time. They get it in out there in the jungle us sheep call the streets. For those that into the mercenary life, there's private ranges.

Put to a poll, put me down for all to point that muzzle in the sand barrel and unload before we wave those firesticks around like we won 'em at the county fair.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
"Cold Ranges" are becoming the norm, and I'm actually OK with it. Not everyone in there is Carlos Hathcock or Eldon Carl. After you've been swept a dozen times by new AND seasoned firearm owners, you might feel the same way. Not everyone in there is knowledgable of the firearm they are handling. Or they simply don't think. That's not limited to new shooters. Some of the scariest handlers I've been around are long time owners and are a tragedy waiting to happen. Not everyone is as you....unique, the epitome of firearm safety, the text book example of firearm handling at the range. The majority is the opposite. I've been a Range Safety Officer since '98. I'd like to extend the time I do that as long as I can. A Cold Range goes a long way towards making that happen.

Same guy that is perfectly safe and capable carrying a defensive weapon, effective and competent to defend against attack can just as easily put a round through your gut or head at a range while he tries to figure out how to eject the round in his carry gun or the one he borrowed, to load up with target ammo. Yes. I know. All hot weapons should be pointed downrange. Few ranges have snipers on every lane to enforce that. Besides, it's hard to build a customer base when the snipers scare the customers more than the risk of a negligent discharge.

I know we can't predict when or where we will need to defend ourselves. I'm for taking the risk of a truce or cease fire at a range. An "honor amongst thieves" treaty where we all agree not to shoot or attack each other at the range. Once we step back out onto the street, no holds barred. Back to wide spread spray and pray. I understand I'm not as jaded or worldly as some, that Mack Bolin was based on real life figures that take a 1911 in the shower with them, won't hit the head without stringing trip wire around the compound before they do their bidness. Most of the Sgt. Fury types don't need range time. They get it in out there in the jungle us sheep call the streets. For those that into the mercenary life, there's private ranges.

Put to a poll, put me down for all to point that muzzle in the sand barrel and unload before we wave those firesticks around like we won 'em at the county fair.

Sharpshooters in Lorton is similar. The difference is they have the rule, but only enforce it when they feel like it.

If I had another place to shoot ... the NRA range and others are just not reasonable given the traffic around here.

I will not, however, willingly join the "unload at the range" crowd. A loaded, holstered firearm is no more dangerous than an unloaded, holstered firearm.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Sharpshooters in Lorton is similar. The difference is they have the rule, but only enforce it when they feel like it.

If I had another place to shoot ... the NRA range and others are just not reasonable given the traffic around here.

I will not, however, willingly join the "unload at the range" crowd. A loaded, holstered firearm is no more dangerous than an unloaded, holstered firearm.

I agree with Tess. While Sharpshooters is a very good range, it is somewhat demeaning to have to carry unloaded into their storefront. I understand that they cater to shooters with a wide range of experience, from the never-shot-before people to those who visit the range regularly to hone their skills, but this same phenomenon exists at the NRA range and I have not heard of any incidents there. When on the NRA range itself, there are always RSOs keeping an eye on all of the shooters, because even experienced shooters may -- at times -- lay a cleared, locked-open and flagged firearm on the table with the muzzle not quite downrange, especially if they are working with multiple firearms. The NRA RSOs are very good at gently reminding such a shooter where the muzzle should be pointing.

I live a bit closer to the NRA range and since I am "retired" I can pick a non-traffic time to go back and forth. Even though Sharpshooters is a lot closer to me, I just have a problem with the need to "disarm" myself when entering the building.

Joe G.

actually, that is part of my point. a loaded, holstered firearm is less dangerous than an unloaded, holstered firearm. neither is a threat unto itself, but the useless hunk of metal that the unloaded weapon equates to is a threat to those who need to respond ...

btb, I read the TSA blog regularly (travel way too much for biz), and I laugh every time I see their stats. they say something like: "37 guns found, and 31 loaded". to me, that tells me 2 things: 1) they are wasting money (everything they find could have been found by pre-911 security for much less $$, and 2) there are at least 6 fools out there who carry a useless, heavy hunk of metal on their person or nearby, without it being usable in any way ...

MNMGoneShooting

Love the NRA range and can't say anything bad about it. Got a loaded firearm? No problem. Just keep it where it's at. We live about an hour from it, much further than The Range, but it's much classier. The wife noticed it immediately. Additional plus is that their ammo prices are very reasonable; also you can use shotguns and rifles.

Well worth the extra travel time.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Makes me feel good every time I read about burb ranges. My club has a 50 yard pistol range and a 210 rifle/pistol range and I can carry any way I like, full skeet and trap stations, an archery range. a clubhouse and I am almost always the only person there.

If I need a little more room, I have a 1500 yard range and a combat trail on my farm.

I've been thinking about hiring dog hunters as moving target holders.:banana:

Last edited: