• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCDW Class

09jisaac

I am going to take my conceal carry class saturday the 4th. Is there anything I should know before I go down there to take it?

I'll be taking it at borders in ashland.

Also, I read on the KRS that you're shooting at a human size target and 11/20 has to hit, but it did not specify the distance. I have a target that is suppose to be human size but it looks pretty big and I am guessing I can hit him out to 50yds no problem. It is about the size of a large man.

Is there a written test? I heard somewhere (you know how that is) that there is but I didn't find it on the KRS.

garyh9900

I am going to take my conceal carry class saturday the 4th. Is there anything I should know before I go down there to take it?

Also, I read on the KRS that you're shooting at a human size target and 11/20 has to hit, but it did not specify the distance. I have a target that is suppose to be human size but it looks pretty big and I am guessing I can hit him out to 50yds no problem. It is about the size of a large man.

Is there a written test? I heard somewhere (you know how that is) that there is but I didn't find it on the KRS.

You must hit 11/20 rounds on a B-21 target from 7 yards.
You must pass a written examination. The examination is open book.
Most instructors prefer you not bring a loaded weapon to class. Make sure your weapon you intend to use for the live fire test is in good working order, along with the rounds you intend to use. You should bring a cleaning kit along with ear and eye protection.

Comm

It's been a long time since I took mine, but you will sit through several hours of the most boring video ever created. It's straight out of the book they give you, but you have to hear it. You will need to bring the weapon you intend on shooting with, and must be able to prove that you can disassemble it, and clean it. When you go to the range, you have to hit a 1/2 silhouette target at 7 yds, 11 out of 20 times. Not hard to do even for a women who had never shot a pistol in her life when she was there.
The exam is open book, so you should be fine on the exam.
Good luck!

neuroblades

It's a simple written test, open book and relative commonsense questions. The video is rather boring and could serious use alot of updating. *LOL* The range test is simple and doesn't require a decent grouping, just getting the round on paper and into the target is all that's required.

09jisaac

Thanks guys. I have been practicing on a 12 by 18 or so at just under 25 yds, so I don't think I'll have too much of a problem.

Also, I wear glasses. Should I bring a pair of safety glasses or would these suffice?

I am thinking about using a sig .22 because it is cheap. But I am equally prepared to use a M&P 9.

Midwest

Is an appointment needed?
How to pay for it? In advance or when you get to class. Credit card or cash?
Do revolvers have to be disassembled?
How much has to be disassembled?

For what its worth I live in Northern KY, I'll be looking for classes around here. Either in Boone or Kenton County.

09jisaac

I would like to thank all the people on here that helped me when I 1st started carrying. I didn't miss a single question on the 25 question test, and I didn't learn a single thing in the class. Everything that was on the test I was taught here, by you guys.

Is an appointment needed?
How to pay for it? In advance or when you get to class. Credit card or cash?
Do revolvers have to be disassembled?
How much has to be disassembled?

For what its worth I live in Northern KY, I'll be looking for classes around here. Either in Boone or Kenton County.

At borders you don't need a appointment but it is highly recommended.
We paid after we sat through the video and after we took the written test, I assume that if you didn't pass then you didn't have to pay.
They didn't make us disassemble anything, just keep it unloaded til we were actually on the firing line and they gave the command to load.

Who told me it was the most boring movie I will ever watch in my life? That was a strong understatement, their was an old guy sitting beside me that fell asleep twice. And I only stayed awake with the help of pepsi and Ritalin(joking about the pepsi).

neuroblades

You missed one heck of a gun show in Lexington on the 4th, granted, getting the CCDW class done and out of the way is a nice thing in and of itself.

I had been tipped off a few days back that this show was going to be HUGE and they weren't joking! In all the years I've been going to these things, never have I ever had to wait in line to get in. Well, today I did! *LOL* The line was backed up to almost the very end of the hallway outside the venue. I honestly don't know what all the fuss was about though. I mean it was a good gun show but for me, the last one, back in January, was one of the best I've been to.

09jisaac

I hate it when someone tells me how good a gun show is that I didn't get to go to. Just for me guys, can you tell me that it wasn't worth the drive up there?

RealBloodMoney

Learned more here

Who told me it was the most boring movie I will ever watch in my life? That was a strong understatement, their was an old guy sitting beside me that fell asleep twice. And I only stayed awake with the help of pepsi and Ritalin(joking about the pepsi).

I was LMAO during the video. The poor saps couldn't even pronounce some of the words. Really needs updating. I also have to agree with you about learning more about the laws and facts about everything from the all the members on here. I took my class in Jan 2012 after returning from my last deployment. Got a 100% because of all the information from here and not the class.

09jisaac

The woman who would read a sentence but forget a word and have to start all over? I didn't notice her eyebrow, but I am pretty sure the video hasn't been changed since 2006, thats when my book was written.

Savage206

I have a target that is suppose to be human size but it looks pretty big and I am guessing I can hit him out to 50yds no problem.

50 yards?!?! That is 150 feet! I would be impressed if you could hit 11/20 @ 50 yards unless you do match shooting. It is entirely possible don't get me wrong but I am not that good of a shot I will admit. :)

It is 7 yards (21 feet) that they have you shoot the 11/20.

09jisaac

50 yards?!?! That is 150 feet! I would be impressed if you could hit 11/20 @ 50 yards unless you do match shooting. It is entirely possible don't get me wrong but I am not that good of a shot I will admit. :)

It is 7 yards (21 feet) that they have you shoot the 11/20.

I went out to try today, the wind tore my target before I even had it set up. I have never attempted a 50yd shot with either my M&P 9mm or my sig mosquito, so it will be something new. I guess you and I will both learn if I can do it next day I get the chance.

yz9890

the shooting portion of the test is crazy easy. (it's all easy, just a little boring). I've heard it called "The Ray Charles Open". 11 out of 20 anywhere in the black. if you have even a tiny bit of experience, you'll get 20 out of 20 from 21 feet. and even if you suck, you'll get at least 11. and you don't need your carry gun if you don't have it yet. any "modern" firearm. just bring one that's easy to clean.

09jisaac

Just bring one that's easy to clean.

I didn't even need to do that. My gun was clean before I brought it to class. The instructor said that we don't have to clean our guns there if we don't want to and he was too busy teaching the people who didn't know how to clean one and watching to make sure that they were doing it right to bother with us that did. I don't fault him for that. When the class was starting out I thought they were teaching too much of the basics, as I thought no one who didn't know ANYTHING about guns would be there. But it didn't take long to find the people who knew nothing of guns and shooting them. There was two women in my class who was terrified that they couldn't hit the target at 7 yds. One was in her sixties and swore she hasn't shot since she was 15 and the other lady said the day before was her 1st time even handling a gun.