Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stopped by Starbucks on the way to the General Assembly

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Stopped by Starbucks on the way to the General Assembly

Not to get Coffee. I hate their coffee, but to buy a gift card.

A couple of weeks ago when Sheriff said he couldn't afford their coffee for just one cup on one day, it irritated me that he couldn't take a couple of dollars just once, and make a statement. So I posted I'd send him a gift card if he sent me his address.
    Later he said he was just joking.

Well damned if I didn't get a PM from an out of state deadbeat with his address.
    So the gift card's on it's way.
    Glad you support Gun Rights!

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Not to get Coffee. I hate their coffee, but to buy a gift card.

A couple of weeks ago when Sheriff said he couldn't afford their coffee for just one cup on one day, it irritated me that he couldn't take a couple of dollars just once, and make a statement. So I posted I'd send him a gift card if he sent me his address.

Well damned if I didn't get a PM from an out of state deadbeat with his address.
    So the gift card's on it's way.
    Glad you support Gun Rights!
    Too funny. I stopped by the bank and picked up some $2 bills to use when I stop at Starbucks on the 14th. I think the $2 bills should start being used by gun owners, and the $3 bills by the antis.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

I wondered about that myself since a couple earlier posts by the Sheriff had led me to believe he might have hit a rough spot in life's road.

Anyway, thanks for all you do PN to further gun rights...even out-of-state.

And an e-mail's en route to support Mark Obenshain's Private Property Rights amendment.
    Daily carry: SIG P229 .40 S&W

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    I wondered about that myself since a couple earlier posts by the Sheriff had led me to believe he might have hit a rough spot in life's road.
    Sheriff isn't from out of state.
    I can only presume the person that contacted Peter wasn't Sheriff.
    Sheriff's been award enough money from local juridictions that I would have a hard time believing the rough spots in life's rd.

He fought the law and the law lost:
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    Sheriff isn't from out of state.
    I can only presume the person that contacted Peter wasn't Sheriff.
    Sheriff's been award enough money from local juridictions that I would have a hard time believing the rough spots in life's rd.

He fought the law and the law lost:
    No, it was someone else

Rumor has it....

That a recent survey of customers convinced them to include lighter roasts in their coffee choices. I live in hope that I WILL enjoy the coffee I WILL buy from them on the 14th. I hope they show an increased profit that day.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wolfhound View Post
    That a recent survey of customers convinced them to include lighter roasts in their coffee choices. I live in hope that I WILL enjoy the coffee I WILL buy from them on the 14th. I hope they show an increased profit that day.
    I just tried their "blonde" roast the other day, it's pretty mild and I could barely taste it. Consider, however, I like dark/bold roasts.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wolfhound View Post
    I had some of their blonde roast after Lobby Day a few weeks back and it wasn't too bad. I can do the full range of coffees depending on my mood, but that one didn't strike me as a favorite. I'll support them anyway as I appreciate their willingness to allow for what the law allows with regard to self defense tools.

I hate their coffee.
    While, I enjoy coffee I hate their coffee. I'll be getting hot chocolate and maybe something else.
    Last edited by Marco; 02-03-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

@Agent19...
    are you planning to visit the one closest to us? if so, approx what time? i'll try to meet you there.
    “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

Since we have gone a bit off-topic ....

... I can now make this observation.

We can all agree that English is a difficult language to learn due to idioms, inflections, local dialects, etc.

For instance, when I first read the title of this thread, it took a second for me to realize that the writer had "visited" Starbucks and not been "detained" by it.

It is the context which clarifies the meaning. To a non-native speaker of English, how does he distinguish between:
    1. Stopped by Starbucks on the way to the General Assembly (visited a well known coffee shop enroute to the Capitol)
    2. Stopped by Starbucks on the way to the General Assembly (detained at a traffic stop by a LEO named Starbucks, while enroute to the Capitol)

Similarly ... a caterpillar may turn into a butterfly, but I can turn into a gas station ... or a Starbucks.

Quote Originally Posted by USNA69 View Post
    ... I can now make this observation.

We can all agree that English is a difficult language to learn due to idioms, inflections, local dialects, etc.

For instance, when I first read the title of this thread, it took a second for me to realize that the writer had "visited" Starbucks and not been "detained" by it.

It is the context which clarifies the meaning. To a non-native speaker of English, how does he distinguish between:
    1. Stopped by Starbucks on the way to the General Assembly (visited a well known coffee shop enroute to the Capitol)
    2. Stopped by Starbucks on the way to the General Assembly (detained at a traffic stop by a LEO named Starbucks, while enroute to the Capitol)

Similarly ... a caterpillar may turn into a butterfly, but I can turn into a gas station ... or a Starbucks.
    And we wonder why (fill in the blank)
    Last edited by peter nap; 02-04-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Time for everyone to learn latin so statements are unambiguous.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    Time for everyone to learn latin so statements are unambiguous.
    Either that or start using crayon.

Either that or start using crayon.
    And yes, my first glance at the thread title did read as "I got stopped by a starbucks for OC."
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    And yes, my first glance at the thread title did read as "I got stopped by a starbucks for OC."
    I'll have to check Ebay for a big box of crayons

The thing that really surprised me was that no one has mentioned it a little odd that so called Pro 2nd people are too damn cheap to buy their own cup of coffee. I wonder who buys their gas to lobby day....if Spruce Yuppies even have lobby day.

Like I said, fill in the blank.
    Last edited by peter nap; 02-04-2012 at 12:17 PM.

no need for that, Logan's got plenty of spare ones, he won't miss a few and half the places we take him to eat give him free ones anyway. The thread title btw made sense to me

Have to hold my hands up and admit I kinda share your views on their coffee, only ever had 3 or 4 drinks from them and none impressed me, the stuff Courtney pours out for us at RCD tastes better to me.

The thing that really surprised me was that no one has mentioned it a little odd that so called Pro 2nd people are too damn cheap to buy their own cup of coffee. I wonder who buys their gas to lobby day....if Spruce Yuppies even have lobby day.

Like I said, fill in the blank.
    Those folks who can't afford $2 for coffee are the same folks who didn't come to Lobby Day. They scream about their rights being taken away but won't actually do anything about it.

Luckily, there are those of us willing to pick up the slack.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Those folks who can't afford $2 for coffee are the same folks who didn't come to Lobby Day. They scream about their rights being taken away but won't actually do anything about it.

Luckily, there are those of us willing to pick up the slack.
    Exactly SD....EXACTLY!

I think someone else will have to take the slack at the GA next week.
    I'm at the farm running a 104 fever.
    Diabetics don't have much of an immune system and being around all those city people, I was bound to catch something.

Exactly SD....EXACTLY!

Diabetics don't have much of an immune system and being around all those city people, I was bound to catch something.
    104! That's serious... go see a doctor! Somehow I don't think you are likely to do that.

TFred

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Exactly SD....EXACTLY!

Put everything else on hold - break that fever and rest. Tomorrow is another day.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Exactly SD....EXACTLY!

Ice Bath if it goes any higher.
    Jewish Penicillin (Chicken Soup) for whatever ails you...

Get well soon, Brother.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Here is a not so cheap spot that will air with the superbowl...

Special Report: Bloomberg reloads in push for gun control

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Among the slick, million-dollar ads for the likes of Pepsi and Honda during the Super Bowl this Sunday, viewers in Washington will see a far more modest spot. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino will be sitting on a couch touting an issue most politicians avoid like the plague: gun control. The two mayors, whose local teams face off in the big game, are making the pitch for Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG), the organization they co-founded in 2006. ...
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Quote Originally Posted by nuc65 View Post
    Here is a not so cheap spot that will air with the superbowl...

Special Report: Bloomberg reloads in push for gun control

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Among the slick, million-dollar ads for the likes of Pepsi and Honda during the Super Bowl this Sunday, viewers in Washington will see a far more modest spot. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino will be sitting on a couch touting an issue most politicians avoid like the plague: gun control. The two mayors, whose local teams face off in the big game, are making the pitch for Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG), the organization they co-founded in 2006. ...
    It's only being played in the northeast so let the rest of us know just how retarded the commercial is.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    It's only being played in the northeast so let the rest of us know just how retarded the commercial is.
    Have a look:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=BO94AdhCg0k
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast