• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nevada Firearms Coalition Progress ?

varminter22

Among others, a primary issue is strengthening preemption law - one law for all of Nevada - including repeal of Clark County's handgun registration scheme.

Am not at liberty to go into details. But feel free to contact NFC.

Vegassteve

Among others, a primary issue is strengthening preemption law - one law for all of Nevada - including repeal of Clark County's handgun registration scheme.

This is the one I can not get my head around Larry. The rest of the state and even cities in clark county recognize the current 2007 law. I just dont see the need to re legislate this. Clark and Vegas should be made to conform. Blue card is another issue though.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA

Why are you not at liberty to go into details?

If I want to contact the one person in charge of handling this issue, who is actually doing something, who would that be?

Please point me to the story in the media telling about NVFAC's campaign on this issue.

wrightme

Why are you not at liberty to go into details?

If I want to contact the one person in charge of handling this issue, who is actually doing something, who would that be?

Please point me to the story in the media telling about NVFAC's campaign on this issue.
Why would you expect, or require, a media story about what they are working on? :eek:

gonefishn

Only a few hundred members so far. Working on getting the word out. We need to recruit many more members!

A membership drive might help. :banana: They could offer a life membership at 50% $$ as an incentive to join. :D
Due to the poor economy people are just not running around looking for another club to join so how about an incentive?

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Am anxious to hear your predictions on a wide range of subjects!

Seriously, I can say the NFC is working on issues.

Perhaps you could contact NFC and offer your service and suggestions.

I contacted the NFC, I offered my services and a easy way for them to collect a name for themselves. It was immediatly brought to my attention that I was not a Paying member....... I was told,if I want a voice I need to caugh up some $$$$ We will see if my work on the Sheriffs and Chiefs will pay off down the road, but you would think that NFC would at least be interested. Sorry NFC, I need to save my money for filing fees.to do something no "rights Org. has the Hutspah to do.

Last edited:

DVC

Why would you expect, or require, a media story about what they are working on? :eek:

Well, that's kinda what the media DOES, you know . . .they write STORIES about things that are happening.

No stories pretty much means nothing happening.

However, you're dodging the fact that I asked for contact info for whoever it is who IS doing something, so the media story isn't the only proof I'll accept.

wrightme

Well, that's kinda what the media DOES, you know . . .they write STORIES about things that are happening.
Why would you expect this specific to even BE in the media?
DVC said:
No, 'no stories' about a specific subject just means that no media outlet has prepared and released a story. It doesn't indicate 'nothing happening.'
DVC said:
However, you're dodging the fact that I asked for contact info for whoever it is who IS doing something, so the media story isn't the only proof I'll accept.
No, I didn't dodge that fact. I simply didn't address that fact.

NOTE: I am well aware of the role media plays.

DVC

Why would you expect this specific to even BE in the media?

It's red meat for the hoplophobes whenever anyone is trying to reduce gun restrictions, and they watch these things closely (when I filed the Defense Rights Initiative, I was getting phone calls from media around the country before I got home from Phoenix). If someone were doing something, it would be noticed by the media down in the Sharp End.

wrightme

It's red meat for the hoplophobes whenever anyone is trying to reduce gun restrictions, and they watch these things closely (when I filed the Defense Rights Initiative, I was getting phone calls from media around the country before I got home from Phoenix). If someone were doing something, it would be noticed by the media down in the Sharp End.

Sounds like a good reason to keep it on the QT then.

varminter22

Not necessarily. There is a time and a place ...

Do you really believe that organizations or federal, state, or county legislators release info of their work and discussions with various entities?

That said, perhaps NFC could do better at getting the word out. I'll suggest more communication.

Last edited:

DVC

Do you really believe that organizations or federal, state, or county legislators release info of their work and discussions with various entities?

We heard about a PRIVATE MEETING in which the hoplophobes were told by the PRESIDENT that he was working on gun control "under the radar."

There are few secrets when it comes to such a hot-button subject, and, frankly, I don't think that such a secret could be kept in Nevada during an election year. If things were happening, that fact would be about as easy to hide as an Apollo moonship next to the junction of I-80 and US95.

DVC

Suggestion made to better communicate!

So, what's the official pravda here? The other day you were saying that you're "not at liberty" to tell us anything, and today you're saying that it's a lack of communication.

You are still giving nothing of substance, nor giving any name for someone to contact.

Oh, I get it -- this is POLITICAL HOMEOPATHY, where there is no actual content, but you still call it medicine and say that if we have faith, it will work!

So, NVFAC is like Dumbo's magic feather -- if we hold tightly, we can fly, and if we fly, you will claim that NVFAC is the reason.

I saw who some of the leaders were, and the NRA in the middle of this, and asked to have my doubts proven wrong. All that I see and hear reinforces them. I notice that wrightme has very carefully NOT made any claims of the "coalition" actually doing anything.

Now, the million-dollar question: have the other civil rights groups in the state lost steam? Is Stillwater as active as it was two years ago? Or have you all fallen in line behind this new messiah, who preaches to wait for pie in the sky . . ?

wrightme

So, what's the official pravda here? The other day you were saying that you're "not at liberty" to tell us anything, and today you're saying that it's a lack of communication.

You are still giving nothing of substance, nor giving any name for someone to contact.

Oh, I get it -- this is POLITICAL HOMEOPATHY, where there is no actual content, but you still call it medicine and say that if we have faith, it will work!

So, NVFAC is like Dumbo's magic feather -- if we hold tightly, we can fly, and if we fly, you will claim that NVFAC is the reason.

I saw who some of the leaders were, and the NRA in the middle of this, and asked to have my doubts proven wrong. All that I see and hear reinforces them. I notice that wrightme has very carefully NOT made any claims of the "coalition" actually doing anything.

Now, the million-dollar question: have the other civil rights groups in the state lost steam? Is Stillwater as active as it was two years ago? Or have you all fallen in line behind this new messiah, who preaches to wait for pie in the sky . . ?

Dude, it's between sessions. Why don't you give all the badmouthing a rest? It doesn't happen on your timeline. If you are so worried about not hearing what the NVFAC is doing, then JOIN them so you can get it right when it happens. Otherwise, frankly, KYBMS.

But, I must say, you have helped convince me. I have been on the fence about joining them, but given the dislike you harbor for them, I am changing my position and believe they MUST be doing something right. Gonna join today.

Last edited:

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Dude, it's between sessions. Why don't you give all the badmouthing a rest? It doesn't happen on your timeline. If you are so worried about not hearing what the NVFAC is doing, then JOIN them so you can get it right when it happens. Otherwise, frankly, KYBMS.

But, I must say, you have helped convince me. I have been on the fence about joining them, but given the dislike you harbor for them, I am changing my position and believe they MUST be doing something right. Gonna join today.

Why are you are waiting on the legislature to do something? The founders did not say you must be a vigilant citizen, as long as legislature is in session.

Is NVFAC working the primaries?
What is NVFAC doing about the unconstitutional involvement of the Nevada Sheriffs and chiefs assoc?
Does the NVFAC have a "published position" on open carry? (rights)
Does the NVFAC have a plan in place to deal with the illegal lobbying of state, and elected officials?
What is the top priority of the NVFAC?
The questions can go on for hours, and it seems that the dodging matches exactly.

I really did not want answers, I just want to hear the "canned Join and find out" response.

So lets really set the record straight. the NVFAC is run by well intentioned great guys... That being said, it is hard to promote something that is designed to be very limited from the onset. The truth is the NVFAC cannot and will not get involved in primary campaigns where all candidates are at their most vulnerable point and most reachable. (you volunteer for a campaign in a tight race and your newly elected BFF wont care if you carry a Sherman tank with you to PTA meetings.)

The NVFAC cannot protect your rights. You are the only person that can protect your individual rights, hence the name. good example is the NRA says they helped bring the right to bear arms to XX amount of states. Truth is they registered gun owners, who in states like Texas and Florida have zero handgun rights, they however can ask permission.

The NVFAC went to the sheriffs and Chiefs meeting Don Turner said they "look forward to working with the Sheriffs and Chiefs" why does NVFAC look forward to working with a iligitimate governmental entity who has veto power over our elected officials, and has demonstrated that they have no intention of being accountable for their governance? Why does the NRA still give Senator John lee a "A" rating when he was instrumental in putting this dictatorship in power? Will the NVFAC stand by the NRA in their decision to back John Lee?.... I would bet on it.

The NVFAC would like us to believe that if we show interest in the bills, write on the legislature website, show up at the statehouse for bill hearings that together we can effect change. While I see the point to some of that you should ask yourself is that how change happens in the other direction? Did the Pro- cell phone law people go to the hearings pack the state house? No. So how does a law get passed?

We saw last spring a bunch of uprising in the middle east. some people took over their countries in a matter of hours. the founders said it correctly our country is governed by the consent of the people. Well so is your gun organization. if you blindly join and trust, they will believe that they have your support. (support for what?) that's the kicker, they want members, members equals power. that power comes from the members to be channeled into the organization, for the purpose of ............. ("Join and you will find out?")
Would you place a vote for a politician who will only let you in on his morals and ideals after you vote for him? that seems to be what I am hearing from the NVFAC.

Sometimes organizations can be an asset but not always. You don't use the same tool to work on your car if the problems are different, sure your car wont run, but an electrical problem requires a different tool than a tire problem etc. What I am saying Is Join the NVFAC if that is your cup of tea, but do not have expectations that they can, will, or want to solve the issues that you and I care about. Realize that their hands are tied when election season comes around, relize that their tactics will involve making "deals" with the enemy in order to gain influence and power. This is a trade off and not pretty business... Just keeping it real.

SoLasVegas

There. Membership app submitted. Put your money where YOUR mouth is, join, and find out what they are doing.

I think that's part of the problem. You have to pay them before you can learn what they are doing or what they plan to do. For all we know, they could be gathering membership money for a purpose that does NOT benefit most of us. This is the exact reason I am no longer a member of the NRA. What if the NVFAC are planning to propose some "common sense" gun laws? What if they are going to work towards a permission slip for OC just like we have for CC. I'm assuming this is not the case, but it could be. There is very little specific information on their site to indicate what their plans are.

wrightme

Why are you are waiting on the legislature to do something? The founders did not say you must be a vigilant citizen, as long as legislature is in session.
I didn't say "wait on the legislature." But, much of the needed progress made IS done during the session, and that is also when much of the publicizing of effort is done. IMHO, publicizing pending legislative efforts in the off-year is premature, and 'shows the hand' too soo.

DTOM said:
Is NVFAC working the primaries?
What is NVFAC doing about the unconstitutional involvement of the Nevada Sheriffs and chiefs assoc?
Does the NVFAC have a "published position" on open carry? (rights)
Does the NVFAC have a plan in place to deal with the illegal lobbying of state, and elected officials?
What is the top priority of the NVFAC?
The questions can go on for hours, and it seems that the dodging matches exactly.

I really did not want answers, I just want to hear the "canned Join and find out" response.
THen here it is.

"Join and Find Out."

Better yet, Join and add you as a member, number, AND volunteer. Together we stand, divided we fall. Calling a group into question just because efforts are apparent or publicized is premature, and just adds to divisiveness. Keep moving towards the goals you desire in your way, and help other groups also. Badmouthing them does no good.

DTOM said:
So lets really set the record straight. the NVFAC is run by well intentioned great guys... That being said, it is hard to promote something that is designed to be very limited from the onset. The truth is the NVFAC cannot and will not get involved in primary campaigns where all candidates are at their most vulnerable point and most reachable. (you volunteer for a campaign in a tight race and your newly elected BFF wont care if you carry a Sherman tank with you to PTA meetings.)
So, holding them accountable for that would not be valid.
DTOM said:
The NVFAC cannot protect your rights. You are the only person that can protect your individual rights, hence the name. good example is the NRA says they helped bring the right to bear arms to XX amount of states. Truth is they registered gun owners, who in states like Texas and Florida have zero handgun rights, they however can ask permission.
Yes. Have I claimed the opposite?
DTOM said:
The NVFAC went to the sheriffs and Chiefs meeting Don Turner said they "look forward to working with the Sheriffs and Chiefs" why does NVFAC look forward to working with a iligitimate governmental entity who has veto power over our elected officials, and has demonstrated that they have no intention of being accountable for their governance? Why does the NRA still give Senator John lee a "A" rating when he was instrumental in putting this dictatorship in power? Will the NVFAC stand by the NRA in their decision to back John Lee?.... I would bet on it.
Ask them. Otherwise, comments about that are simply sniping from the sidelines.

DTOM said:
The NVFAC would like us to believe that if we show interest in the bills, write on the legislature website, show up at the statehouse for bill hearings that together we can effect change. While I see the point to some of that you should ask yourself is that how change happens in the other direction? Did the Pro- cell phone law people go to the hearings pack the state house? No. So how does a law get passed?
That comment makes the mistake of assuming that NVFAC presented the ONLY method to get something done. The reality is that the Cell Phone law had enough support to get through the process.

DTOM said:
We saw last spring a bunch of uprising in the middle east. some people took over their countries in a matter of hours. the founders said it correctly our country is governed by the consent of the people. Well so is your gun organization. if you blindly join and trust, they will believe that they have your support. (support for what?) that's the kicker, they want members, members equals power. that power comes from the members to be channeled into the organization, for the purpose of ............. ("Join and you will find out?")
Would you place a vote for a politician who will only let you in on his morals and ideals after you vote for him? that seems to be what I am hearing from the NVFAC.
This isn't the Middle East.

Now, who is claiming someone should 'blindly join and trust?'

DTOM said:
Sometimes organizations can be an asset but not always. You don't use the same tool to work on your car if the problems are different, sure your car wont run, but an electrical problem requires a different tool than a tire problem etc. What I am saying Is Join the NVFAC if that is your cup of tea, but do not have expectations that they can, will, or want to solve the issues that you and I care about. Realize that their hands are tied when election season comes around, relize that their tactics will involve making "deals" with the enemy in order to gain influence and power. This is a trade off and not pretty business... Just keeping it real.

Yes. But, it is a mistake to assume this one won't be an asset, especially barely 6 months from inception. And, the real power of such an organization will be the numbers they have upon start of the next session; because the true battle IS in the session with the legislative efforts. Without statute supportive of our views, the rest is simply time spent towards a cause we support.