• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nevada Firearms Coalition Progress ?

varminter22

Didn't we do this, was it back in July at Stoney's? Big crowd, speakers, much goina-do, not much has happened since that any of us can see.

Larry, We all know the work that you do and we appreciate it. But it seems the rest of these folks haven't shown much so far. I truly hope that my concerns are unwarranted and that this group, given some time, will exceed expectations. However,

Larry,

This is lame.

I thought you were on the BoD. Why wouldn't this organization put some (if not all) of this information on its web-site? Some of this is required, by law, to be publicly available (the 1024 and 990s for instance). Are the books up to date?

Ken
Thanks, Ken.

And I am on the Board. However, I am not the president, nor secretary, nor treasurer. I don't have that info on the tip of my tongue.

It seems that no matter what I say here, I'm countered at every turn. A no-win situation.

varminter22

The Second Amendment Foundation.
I agree the SAF is a very good org.

But what has SAF done in Nevada??

The NRA-ILA HAS done things in support of good bills and oppostion to bad bills. Just a couple that come to immediately to mind:

AB-21 (2007)
SB-231 (2011)
AB-282 (2011)

CowboyKen

Thanks, Ken.

And I am on the Board. However, I am not the president, nor secretary, nor treasurer. I don't have that info on the tip of my tongue.

It seems that no matter what I say here, I'm countered at every turn. A no-win situation.

Larry,

Its just that, as far as most of us are concerned, you are the go to guy for actually getting anything good done on gun issues in this state. Maybe it is not fair to put all of that on you, but on the other hand I haven't seen you duck and run yet (like some others have).

Thank you for that.

Ken

Rollbar

Larry,

Its just that, as far as most of us are concerned, you are the go to guy for actually getting anything good done on gun issues in this state. Maybe it is not fair to put all of that on you, but on the other hand I haven't seen you duck and run yet (like some others have).

Thank you for that.

Ken

A~Men!

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
But what has SAF done in Nevada??

Well, gee, that depends on whether or not you consider getting the US Supreme Court to recognize your INDIVIDUAL RKBA affects you "in Nevada" . . .

. . .and doing so while the NRA did everything they could to kill the whole case . . .

I don't know what bills go along with the numbers that you gave, nor which passed, nor how much help the NRA was in each case. Details, please?

wrightme

Well, gee, that depends on whether or not you consider getting the US Supreme Court to recognize your INDIVIDUAL RKBA affects you "in Nevada" . . .
We already had that. :rolleyes:

The question was, 'what have they done in the state.'

DVC said:
I don't know what bills go along with the numbers that you gave, nor which passed, nor how much help the NRA was in each case. Details, please?

That highlights your ignorance of what has already happened here. Maybe you should just accept that you are simply not well-informed, and are posting from that position.

For the NVFAC, if they don't get membership numbers, I have little doubt that they will fail at their efforts. If you truly desire the NVFAC to make progress, join them, and cease speaking against them for the sole reason that they are affiliated with the NRA.

SoLasVegas

For the NVFAC, if they don't get membership numbers, I have little doubt that they will fail at their efforts. If you truly desire the NVFAC to make progress, join them, and cease speaking against them for the sole reason that they are affiliated with the NRA.

Agreed. Which is why I did join, and why I have previously made the suggestion to remove the membership fee at least for a brief introductory period. I understand that an organization needs money to operate, but it seems to me that the costs of an organization such as this are roughly the same whether there are 10 members or 10,000. Even though the $25 fee is a relatively small obstacle for most, it is still an obstacle that must be overcome. By removing that, there should be an immediate increase in membership, along with an increase in donations from those members.

varminter22

. . .and doing so while the NRA did everything they could to kill the whole case . . .

I addressed your comments about the NRA earlier. No need to do so again.

Concerning the bills in Nevada, any long time astute reader of this forum and nevadashooters will recall my many legislative updates and comments.

Rollbar

Agreed. Which is why I did join, and why I have previously made the suggestion to remove the membership fee at least for a brief introductory period. I understand that an organization needs money to operate, but it seems to me that the costs of an organization such as this are roughly the same whether there are 10 members or 10,000. Even though the $25 fee is a relatively small obstacle for most, it is still an obstacle that must be overcome. By removing that, there should be an immediate increase in membership, along with an increase in donations from those members.

NO, Disagree. If one can go to Wal-Mart and buy soda for a few weeks or a case of beer, they can pay to be a member of the NFAC. THEY HAVE TO WANT IT :exclaim: What happens the next year when they do have to pay, they, or most drop out due to not saving 25 bucks. IF one wanted to join, then by all means; sacrifice is an only option in some cases, and some of those people make the best members IMHO. IT is easy for some to plop down a life membership and then sit back and say "I'm a Life Member :exclaim: " and do nothing but own a dues card, just look at your shooting clubs :shocker: .

To me life membership looses the clubs/orgs $$. Do a two or three year membership at a reduced rate to compensate but that (IMHO) is as far as it goes.

Cut out the life membership on some of these ORG's and see who you really have that do anything (not saying life members don't do anything, but it is a fair assumption for some).

Just a thought,

Last edited:

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
That highlights your ignorance of what has already happened here. Maybe you should just accept that you are simply not well-informed, and are posting from that position.

No, it highlights the fact that I have enough other things on my mind that memorizing Nevada bill numbers isn't something that I have time for.

Funny how you have time to memorize all of those numbers, but not to notice that NVFAC hasn't done anything but hold meetings and discuss many things.

Oh, well, whatever. I leave you to your religious devotion to All Things NRA. Until they ever get unassed and actually DO anything, there's not much point in even talking about them.

wrightme

No, it highlights the fact that I have enough other things on my mind that memorizing Nevada bill numbers isn't something that I have time for.
So you agree you are arguing from a position of ignorance? That is what I was pointing out.

DVC said:
Funny how you have time to memorize all of those numbers, but not to notice that NVFAC hasn't done anything but hold meetings and discuss many things.
I didn't need to memorize them, I was working with them.
And it isn't 'not notice' what you say. It is 'notice that it doesn't matter to you what they actually do, unless it is what YOU think they should do.'

DVC said:
Oh, well, whatever. I leave you to your religious devotion to All Things NRA.
Once again, since you seem to forget, I do not have any such religious devotion to all things NRA. That is a construct of yours so you can continue with your religious hatred for all things NRA.

DVC said:
Until they ever get unassed and actually DO anything, there's not much point in even talking about them.
Then stop bringing irrelevant things into the convo. This thread is about the NVFAC.

Your blind hatred for 'All Things NRA' is clouding your judgement.

Last edited:

The Big Guy

With all the "conversation" back and forth, me included, have there been any minds changed on this topic?
Just wondering.

TBG

Last edited:

CowboyKen

With all the "conversation" back and forth, me included, have there been any minds changed on this topic?
Just wondering.

TBG

TBG,

I would like to have my mind changed but when I asked, what I think are reasonable and legitimate, questions about finances I was told to look elsewhere.

I will try again using a few of the "Purpose and Objectives" from the NVFAC's web-site:

"- To coordinate, sponsor, and/or conduct competitive events."
What "competitive events" have been sponsored, or are planned?

"- To sponsor and/or conduct matches for the selection of teams to represent the State in the National Matches and/or other matches approved by the Board of Directors."
What has been done to organize this effort? Has a team been selected? Has the Board approved something?

"- To sponsor and/or conduct firearms training and education programs for firearms safety, self-defense, competitions, recreation and hunting."
What training has been sponsored or conducted? Or planned?

"- To promote the education and development of youth in marksmanship and firearms safety."
What youth education programs have been initiated?

Maybe you get my point. So far all anyone has seen, as far as I know, is a lot of high-falutin hot air. I for one would love to see this be a big success, but as of now it reeks of scam. I try not to send money to scam artists and con men. I hope someone here will prove me wrong. Financial reports/tax returns would at least be a start.

Ken

The Big Guy

TBG,

I would like to have my mind changed but when I asked, what I think are reasonable and legitimate, questions about finances I was told to look elsewhere.

I will try again using a few of the "Purpose and Objectives" from the NVFAC's web-site:

"- To sponsor and/or conduct matches for the selection of teams to represent the State in the National Matches and/or other matches approved by the Board of Directors."
What has been done to organize this effort? Has a team been selected? Has the Board approved something?

"- To sponsor and/or conduct firearms training and education programs for firearms safety, self-defense, competitions, recreation and hunting."

"- To promote the education and development of youth in marksmanship and firearms safety."

Maybe you get my point. So far all anyone has seen, as far as I know, is a lot of high-falutin hot air. I for one would love to see this be a big success, but as of now it reeks of scam. I try not to send money to scam artists and con men. I hope someone here will prove me wrong. Financial reports/tax returns would at least be a start.

Ken

So I take that as a no.

TBG

CowboyKen

Thanks, Ken.

Larry,

Since you don't have the answers. maybe you can alert some of these folks, -- Don Turner, President; Bob Irwin, First Vice President; Megan Ferrante, Secretary; Joe. O. Luby III, Treasurer, -- so that they can come on this thread and address some of the substantive questions that I, and others, have raised.

Ken

varminter22

TBG,

Ken
It seems reasonable to me to direct you to the source.

In reference to purpose and objectives, I cannot imagine why some folks are so negative because NVFAC hasn't accomplished objectives in its extremely short existence. Perhaps a better question is: "Who has stepped to the plate to help make these things happen?"

This is NOT a scam, for crying out loud. NVFAC is a registered Nevada non-profit corporation and a federal 501(c)4. Why not get involved? Help make things happen.

Who here was even aware of the now defunct Nevada State Rifle & Pistol Ass'n??? Who here had any concerns whatsover that it was - and did - go under??? Who here stepped to the plate to assist the NSRPA??

NVFAC is totally separate from the NSRPA. Do you REALLY want to see the NVFAC succeed?? Who among you will help make it succeed??

Sorry, guys, but I'm getting awfully tired of this stuff.

If you desire NVFAC to fail, then sit back and complain about it and don't lift a finger to assist.

Otherwise, please get onboard. I hope you will. I really do.