Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you/us unholster when...

How many of you/us unholster when...

Getting into your vehicle? Do you unholster your weapon and put it elsewhere in your vehicle either in a holster attached in the vehicle or a cubby or container?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

i unholster as i enter my truck, and place my gun into a canvas holster and place it in my passenger seat

Activist Member
    I keep it where it is in my holster on my hip. I can still draw sitting in my car, and it is still comfortable.

No, it's relatively comfortable in my Serpa while driving. On a longer interstate trip I usually put it in the glove box though. But I do wish I did have a car holster as drawing from my driver's seat is no easy task.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

It depends on what I'm driving. In the Jeep there was plenty of room, but in the sporty car there's barely enough room for arms, much less arms. I mounted a SERPA holster quick-release to the transmission tunnel with some expanding rubber anchors (sold by BMW and Subaru and probably many others to hold plastic grocery bags). When I moved from the midget car to a Legacy, I put some plugs in the holes and it looked almost showroom stock.

You can see the expanding rubber anchor in the upper left of this pic, I just replaced the mushroom head with a threaded bolt.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 02-03-2012 at 04:09 PM.

I leave my pistol in the holster.It is in a Serpa holster carried cross draw.

Mine stays holstered on my hip. I can draw it while sitting and I don't have to slide it on and off my belt.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

I once took an exit off a local freeway after the white line went solid and I was about to miss it. I still have no idea where the Highway Patrolman was, but he pulled me over for it. When this rookie came to my window, I informed him I was packing (I don't always, and can't tell you why I choose to at that time.) Anyway, his reaction is why I usually do not inform anymore. "For Officer Safety" he asked me to step out so he could disarm me. I'm not nearly as smart about this stuff as I am now, let me tell you.

So anyway, this 20-year old kid packing a double-action Sig Sauer, that has probably been the only gun he's ever known, has me put my hands on my head while he tries to extract my cocked-and-locked 1911 from an IWB, while I pray that he doesn't shoot me with it on accident. Finally I asked him if he would just draw the entire holster with the sidearm inside it. He agreed (it's a good thing I'm one of the good guys).

Moral of the story is: If I was a bad guy, I wouldn't have bothered with the 1911 in my IWB. I'd have shot him with the Walther in the unlocked console that he never even knew about.

On topic because: what! you guys don't have a second sidearm for the car?

*I used to make it a habit to inform the officer that I was carrying because I found that I got a lot more warnings instead of speeding tickets that way, believe it or not. I don't get pulled over a LOT, mind you, I'm basing these experiences over the course of two decades. It seems that if the cop has a LEGAL firearm to "deal with", he has spent some time on the issue, and by the time he is satisfied with it, he's had me pulled over long enough that I often got a warning for the actual "crime" I was committing.
    Last edited by MAC702; 02-05-2012 at 09:43 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper1 View Post
    I leave my pistol in the holster.It is in a Serpa holster carried cross draw.
    Me too. 45 deg angle. No seatbelt interference. Separate gunbelt also. Pistol/ammo/phone, in that order.

Mine stays in the holster on my hip. This way I continue to maintain custody / control of the weapon.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

I have mounted a holster on the center console of my vehicle about four inches away from my shifter knob. I have found that it gives me improved access to it while stopped at "questionable" intersections. It allows me to simply shift my hand a few inches to the right to grasp it should the shoddily clothed off ramp entrepeneur approaching my windshield point anything other than a squirt bottle at me. Unlike those of you who wish to "maintain control" of your weapon, I don't have to lean forward, stick my right elbow out like a chicken wing to avoid interference with the seat, and use my thumb to shift the seatbelt slightly to pry my firearm out from under it, and look exactly like I'm about to draw a pistol from my holster and blast the hard luck window washer to oblivion.

This also has the added bonus of having my weapon discreetly in hand, already cleared for potential use when entering and exiting the vehicle. All it takes is a very discreet (well practiced until it becomes muscle memory) transfer from holster to console when 3/4 of the way entered or 1/4 of the way exited. With practice, it becomes second nature to simply move your hand four inches and transfer without looking while maintaining situational awareness and watching your surroundings.

My state also allows me to do the exact thing the cops do. Keep the handgun holstered and have a loaded (magazine, not chamber) shotgun next to the seat.
    Last edited by MAC702; 02-06-2012 at 01:54 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Sometimes I remove the firearm from my person, if so it is usually put in an even easier to access location.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

I keep it where it is in my holster on my hip. I can still draw sitting in my car, and it is still comfortable.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Since I haven't received my CCDW permit yet, I have to put it in the glove box so I stay within the law.

Pistol in holster.

The little gun, it clips to the cupholder.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

I keep mine on me pretty much all of the time when I am in the car.
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

My OC handgun stays right in the retention holster when I get in my SUV or truck. There's enough room that it can be drawn while the seatbelt is fastened and I always know where it is if I have to make a hasty exit. BUG stays where it is as well.

I'm in a state where there's no requirement to notify in case of a traffic stop. But my concealed handgun permit is tied to my driver's license and tags so they know I might be carrying if they run the tags before approaching the vehicle. Haven't been stopped in several years <knock on wood> so I can't personally attest to how well that works.

I usually carry two firearms while out and about, which helps me not have to relocate a firearm for better access when driving. I carry one of my primary firearms on my right hip (strongside) and a BUG in my left jacket/vest pocket.

I've been wanting to order some of those SERPA quick disconnects for my Blackhawk holster. This way I can carry crossdraw on the SERPA belt attachment while driving. Before I leave the vehicle, I would transfer the holster to my paddle holster located on the other side of my other hip. I have a feeling the bad concealability of the blackhawk SERPA holster would be worsened by the quick disconnects, as they look like they add bulk and push the holster out even more.

I wish SC would allow, or not restrict, unconcealed vehicle carry. That way I could mount a SERPA quick disconnect to my transmission tunnel and have Blackhawk holster mounted there when driving. We're trying to get a constitutional carry bill passed, that decriminalizes open carry, but it doesn't look like it's going to pass.

Usually this is how I am out and about. Instead of the Sex Shooter I’m packing either a 45-1911 or my new 45-Sig Sauer in military web.

Pres. Florida Parishes Chapter of LOCAL www.laopencarry.org

.308 Isn't an area code, but it can still make long distance calls.
    How may I help you? Press '1' for English. Press '2' to disconnect until you learn to speak English.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    You can see the expanding rubber anchor in the upper left of this pic, I just replaced the mushroom head with a threaded bolt.

I can?

Can someone please explain (preferably visually) how these Serpa quick-release mechanisms work?

And Fallschirmjäger, do you suppose you might be able to go into a little more detail about your specific solution? That picture doesn't jibe with my understanding of what you said, leaving me confused.
    Last edited by marshaul; 02-12-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Can someone please explain (preferably visually) how these Serpa quick-release mechanisms work?
    http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SER...le,1240,82.htm
    http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SER...le,1241,82.htm

I keep it holstered. But I am much more careful than I used to be about where the butt sits as I damaged my driver's seat leather in my TA over time with my sidearm rubbing. Luckily, it was ready for a recover anyway so really no harm, no foul. But in the other vehicles, especially the new car, it is something I watch closely.

Also, if I do think as carefully about holster choice as clothes/etc for comfort if I am going to be in the car for a long period.

I open my car door, grab my pistol case, drop the mag and put it and my spare in the center console, rack the slide to visually verify my handgun is unloaded, put it in the case, jump in vehicle. Since WI still has the issue of OC in vehicle without a permit. I am forced to unload and encase my firearm.

I am also in WI and before we got our CCW Law, open carry was the only legal way to carry but as stated above you had to unload and case your firearm everytime you entered the vehicle and thus you had to load and holster the firearm to be able to carry after leaving the vehicle... We called it "The Dance". I now have my WI CCW License which eliminated the need to do the dance so my firearm stays holstered on my right hip both in and out of my vehicle. The only time it leaves my side is if I have unavoidable business in a building that is legally posted no firearms. Then I just unholster and put it in it's case without unloading...

When putting on my seatbelt I do adjust the firearm so it is sticking out past the seatbelt for easy access if needed...

Outdoorsman1
    Last edited by Outdoorsman1; 02-12-2012 at 09:08 PM.
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast