• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Discussion over CHP Privacy last night.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This has taken a while. Audio in those rooms is terrible and I use three recorders that need to be synced. I used 4 cameras last night and two of them had what looked like Vaseline on the lens. Wonder how that happened.

Anyway, there was a lot of work in this one for what I consider a pretty poor video...sorry!

[video=vimeo;36163895]http://vimeo.com/36163895[/video]

mk4

thanks, Peter.
i liked Philip's little smile when the delegate raised that adoption and divorce records, also courts orders, weren't made available to the press, and the woman responding could make no logical connection. it was clear she hated getting caught in a conundrum of her own making.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
thanks, Peter.
i liked Philip's little smile when the delegate raised that adoption and divorce records, also courts orders, weren't made available to the press, and the woman responding could make no logical connection. it was clear she hated getting caught in a conundrum of her own making.

Megan means well MK, she isn't anti, is the director of the most active Open Government group in the state, has helped gun owners many times with FOIAs.....and has some valid points, none of which I'll mention for the Anti's to pick up on.

mk4

Megan means well MK, she isn't anti, is the director of the most active Open Government group in the state, has helped gun owners many times with FOIAs.....and has some valid points, none of which I'll mention for the Anti's to pick up on.

i understand, Sir. i really do, but if we could get people to think logically and dispassionately, many of the issues would disappear. when people get inextricably mired in the emotion of an issue, logical and dispassionate discourse suffers terribly.

as you're far more experienced in the whole process, i'll defer to your assessment of Megan. even, still, i liked Philip's cheshire-cat grin. ;-)

TFred

Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to do that.

As always, nobody has a good reason to explain why we accept license plate and driver's license protection, but not CHP.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to do that.

As always, nobody has a good reason to explain why we accept license plate and driver's license protection, but not CHP.

TFred

That's an easy one TFred.

CHP information just like vehicle and drivers information, is protected. They can no longer FOIA CHP information.
Court information is controlled by the rules of the Supreme Court though, it's not subject to FOIA and almost all court records are open.

I can go in and do a field search with a license number and bring up any traffic case information they have for it.

Think of what they could and tried to hide in Skidmark's case, if I couldn't have access to the records.

I expect this to pass this year so it's a moot point, but there would have been a very simple solution to this where privacy would be kept and the ability to have open access to court files wouldn't have been chipped away.

Instead of having the court issue the permit, have the state police do it and tack the same limits on them the courts have to follow.

Last edited:

TFred

That's an easy one TFred.

CHP information just like vehicle and drivers information, is protected. They can no longer FOIA CHP information.
Court information is controlled by the rules of the Supreme Court though, it's not subject to FOIA and almost all court records are open.

I can go in and do a field search with a license number and bring up any traffic case information they have for it.

Think of what they could and tried to hide in Skidmark's case, if I couldn't have access to the records.

I expect this to pass this year so it's a moot point, but there would have been a very simple solution to this where privacy would be kept and the ability to have open access to court files wouldn't have been chipped away.

Instead of having the court issue the permit, have the state police do it and tack the same limits on them the courts have to follow.
See your Inbox...

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There is a solution to CHP privacy protection on the table, at least at the 'in state' level. It's called Constitutional Carry!

That's a fact!
It may pass in a few years if we keep the pressure up. Until then, it might not be a bad idea to come up with alternatives.

As a rule I don't have a dog in this fight but since this fight is going to cause further erosion to Open Government, it does concern me.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Apparently HB139 is still sitting in Lingamfelter's pocket. How can you find out what his plans are, and get him to put it on the docket?

TFred

He may not this year!
The Dog Hunters made such asses out of themselves (Yeah Kirby Birch again) his Sunday Hunting Bill got s%it Canned. That was pretty much a can't fail bill this year.

HB139 won't pass this year so he may just be trying to keep his demerits to a minimum.
He can certainly get it out of M&P but his tactic is to not push dead bills without a reason.

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

I know this is OT, but...

You should be able to catch the dogs and SELL them back to their owners.
THAT should make them remember upon whose land they are hunting!

P.S. I'll help build the traps. That's half the fun!!!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I know this is OT, but...

You should be able to catch the dogs and SELL them back to their owners.
THAT should make them remember upon whose land they are hunting!

P.S. I'll help build the traps. That's half the fun!!!

Can't!
I can trap them in Coyote snares legally. That's just an accident, but that kills them and I don't like doing that.

PETA started trapping dogs a few years bck. They were taking them to the pound. The GA outlawed that immidiatly.

67GT390FB

He may not this year!
The Dog Hunters made such asses out of themselves (Yeah Kirby Birch again) his Sunday Hunting Bill got s%it Canned. That was pretty much a can't fail bill this year.

HB139 won't pass this year so he may just be trying to keep his demerits to a minimum.
He can certainly get it out of M&P but his tactic is to not push dead bills without a reason.

Well Kirby and his band of idiots got what they wanted. They didn;t want sunday hunting so the Senate acquiesced to their request and banned dog hunting on Sunday while letting moral and righteous hunters such as peter and myself a day of rest and peace in the woods to commune with god and nature. Once Kirby and his ilk got their special copy of the ammended bill in crayon they started to really squeal so they threw enough temper tantrums that they killed the house bills. Del. Ware had an error ridden guest column in the Goochland Gazette espousing his disdain and opposition to sunday hunting. Ware was the chairman of the subcomittee that heard the house bills. I knew how that hearing was going to go on thursday morning. Hopefully the senate bill will get a fair hearing.

MSC 45ACP

Can't!
I can trap them in Coyote snares legally. That's just an accident, but that kills them and I don't like doing that.

PETA started trapping dogs a few years bck. They were taking them to the pound. The GA outlawed that immidiatly.

As much as I despise dog hunters, I would never hurt a dog on purpose. I'd rather put their ignorant owners in the hurt locker. It isn't the dog's fault. He's just doing what he was trained to do. I've made snares and traps that don't kill (most of the time). The metal live traps can get expensive when you're buying the big ones. I had a "squirrel & rabbit" size one as a kid. We trapped then in the backyard just to see what we could catch. We stopped that silly game when we had to draw straws to decide who go to set the skunk free.

We had much more interesting childhoods before computers and cable TV.
When the President was on, he was on ALL THREE CHANNELS!!!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well Kirby and his band of idiots got what they wanted. They didn;t want sunday hunting so the Senate acquiesced to their request and banned dog hunting on Sunday while letting moral and righteous hunters such as peter and myself a day of rest and peace in the woods to commune with god and nature. Once Kirby and his ilk got their special copy of the ammended bill in crayon they started to really squeal so they threw enough temper tantrums that they killed the house bills. Del. Ware had an error ridden guest column in the Goochland Gazette espousing his disdain and opposition to sunday hunting. Ware was the chairman of the subcomittee that heard the house bills. I knew how that hearing was going to go on thursday morning. Hopefully the senate bill will get a fair hearing.

I walked out and saw all those two tone orange hats and commented to one of the pro Sunday Hunting Lobbyist, that it looked like a reunion of child molesters.

67GT390FB

I walked out and saw all those two tone orange hats and commented to one of the pro Sunday Hunting Lobbyist, that it looked like a reunion of child molesters.

the thing is i support them trying to kill the fox pen ban. As i see it if we let that first domino fall when does it become a crime against nature to hunt period.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
the thing is i support them trying to kill the fox pen ban. As i see it if we let that first domino fall when does it become a crime against nature to hunt period.

Good Point! one that's hard for me to swallow, but absolutely true.