• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alaskan moving to Michigan

Capt. Kirk

Hi, I'm new to the site and have some questions that may develop into some frustrations and maybe a little whinning too.

I have lived in Fairbanks Alaska for 22 years and am planning on moving to Michigan in the near future. My fiance (who lives in MI) and I had a little discussion regarding carrying firearms in MI today. In alaska, I typically just toss my guns in the passenger side of my truck to head out to the range or out to the airport to load in my plane. No big deal. Firearms are a way of life up here.
I told my lady that I was gonna need to get a gun rack for the jeep and...oh my god...here we go. Apparently, in MI, I need to have my rifle 5000 feet away from any ammo and have the gun cast into a solid concrete block before I can transport it inside a vehicle. I tried to insist to her that this is the USA and I beleive I have a right to carry a weapon. I started doing some research and bumped into your site...thought I'd join. I was glad to see that it is legal to open carry there but was disturbed to see that throwing a couple rifles in the gun rack in the truck isn't gonna cut it. What's this world coming to?

protias

Well, I wouldn't drive through Canada with any firearms. For some reason, they think law abiding citizens are worse than criminals...