• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Completely new to guns

eskewei

hello everyone, i have been planning on getting a gun
for a long time and only recently have i given it serious
thought. i have been thinking about getting a handgun
on my 21st birthday which is in 4 months but i think
that will give me an ample amount of time to research
about firearms and laws that can benefit me. im just honestly
not sure of how or where to get a gun license here in kansas city kansas.
i also want to buy a rifle but am unsure of how to attain one.
i've read about the ccw but i dont understand if i need a license for ccw
like i said, im completely new to guns, any help is greatly appreciated.

sha-ul

hello everyone, i have been planning on getting a gun
for a long time and only recently have i given it serious
thought. i have been thinking about getting a handgun
on my 21st birthday which is in 4 months but i think
about firearms and laws that can benefit me. im just honestly
not sure of how or where to get a gun license here in kansas city kansas.
i also want to buy a rifle but am unsure of how to attain one.
i've read about the ccw but i dont understand if i need a license for ccw
like i said, im completely new to guns, any help is greatly appreciated.

You might register& pop in at the forums at Ksccw.com, i would also do you some good to get some training& lessons in general safety as well as marksmanship. Get acquainted with the Kansas State Rifle association http://ksraweb.org/ the president is in your neck of the woods& she regularly has classes.
To purchase a long gun, you need money, a photo ID with your current address& a clean background check with the NCIC. to purchase a handgun, you need the same.
As a ks resident, you can now purchase a long gun in any state, but you can only buy a handgun in KS per Federal law, or have one transferred in from another state to a KS FFL.

noname762

First Handgun When I Turn 21

Hello everyone, I have been planning on getting a gun
for a long time and only recently have I given it serious
thought. I have been thinking about getting a handgun
on my 21st birthday which is in 4 months but I think
about firearms and laws that can benefit me. I'm just honestly
not sure of how or where to get a gun license here in Kansas City Kansas.
I also want to buy a rifle but am unsure of how to attain one.
I've read about the CCW but I don't understand if I need a license for CCW
like I said, I'm completely new to guns, any help is greatly appreciated.

WOW!!! There's a new kid on the block!!! A new 'gun nut' in the making!! WELCOME BRO!!!

Sha-ul had some good info to add to your knowledge.
The requirements for buying a rifle in Kansas are the same as buying a rifle in Washington state where I live.
Now in Washington state if you hold a CCW permit you may buy a handgun without waiting. Just fill out the Form 4473, show ID and your CCW and give the man your money. It's fun as all get out the looks on the faces of non CCW holders as you take possession of your new hand gun moments after paying the bill. Priceless!!!

(As a side note....when you're sure you know what you want start buying ammo of that caliber. This will give added incentive to acquiring said hand gun. For many years I 'had a thing' for .357Magnums. Spring of 1994 I had a deal cookin' on a .357Mag Rossi (I think it was) polished 6 incher with Pachmar grips and adjustable sights. A guy at work had an FFL and he loved guns like me. He was one of the coolest guys I ever met. He was Retired Navy and he put up with Hector for 20 minutes I think he said when we worked together at NAS Whidbey. Before he gave Hector 'what for'.
Anyway I picked up 250R for a super deal while vacationing in Idaho and shortly after that I took delivery of my new 357. HUA!!!)

I can be long winded at times (just ask any of my friends) so I'll try to wind this up.
You've come to the right place.
Lots of concise accurate info here.

Welcome!!!

Last edited:

wrightme

1) Treat every gun as if it were loaded.

2) Only point the muzzle at something you are willing to have a hole in.
(or, Never point the muzzle at anything you do NOT want a hole in)

3) Only put your finger on the trigger if the muzzle is pointed at something you want to put a hole in.

4) Make sure of your target, and what is behind it before doing #3.

If you can, take a course in the basics, and get to a range that rents different firearms to try them before you decide to buy something that may not be right for you.

Last edited:

eskewei

You might register& pop in at the forums at Ksccw.com, i would also do you some good to get some training& lessons in general safety as well as marksmanship. Get acquainted with the Kansas State Rifle association http://ksraweb.org/ the president is in your neck of the woods& she regularly has classes.
To purchase a long gun, you need money, a photo ID with your current address& a clean background check with the NCIC. to purchase a handgun, you need the same.
As a ks resident, you can now purchase a long gun in any state, but you can only buy a handgun in KS per Federal law, or have one transferred in from another state to a KS FFL.

thanks for the info, i am currently checking out the sites and all the advice you guys have given are great,
im really interested in familiarizing myself with with safety and how to correctly handle and maintain a firearm

eskewei

1) Treat every gun as if it were loaded.

2) Only point the muzzle at something you are willing to have a hole in.
(or, Never point the muzzle at anything you do NOT want a hole in)

3) Only put your finger on the trigger if the muzzle is pointed at something you want to put a hole in.

4) Make sure of your target, and what is behind it before doing #3.

If you can, take a course in the basics, and get to a range that rents different firearms to try them before you decide to buy something that may not be right for you.[/QUOTE

thanks for this, i've heard of many stories when people would mess around with guns
and have an accidental discharge of a weapon, guns arent to be played with.
thank you for the advice

eskewei

WOW!!! There's a new kid on the block!!! A new 'gun nut' in the making!! WELCOME BRO!!!

Sha-ul had some good info to add to your knowledge.
The requirements for buying a rifle in Kansas are the same as buying a rifle in Washington state where I live.
Now in Washington state if you hold a CCW permit you may buy a handgun without waiting. Just fill out the Form 4473, show ID and your CCW and give the man your money. It's fun as all get out the looks on the faces of non CCW holders as you take possession of your new hand gun moments after paying the bill. Priceless!!!

(As a side note....when you're sure you know what you want start buying ammo of that caliber. This will give added incentive to acquiring said hand gun. For many years I 'had a thing' for .357Magnums. Spring of 1994 I had a deal cookin' on a .357Mag Rossi (I think it was) polished 6 incher with Pachmar grips and adjustable sights. A guy at work had an FFL and he loved guns like me. He was one of the coolest guys I ever met. He was Retired Navy and he put up with Hector for 20 minutes I think he said when we worked together at NAS Whidbey. Before he gave Hector 'what for'.
Anyway I picked up 250R for a super deal while vacationing in Idaho and shortly after that I took delivery of my new 357. HUA!!!)

I can be long winded at times (just ask any of my friends) so I'll try to wind this up.
You've come to the right place.
Lots of concise accurate info here.

Welcome!!!

thank you very much for the warm welcome, very much appreciated,
but i have to be honest with you, before i did any research on a .357 magRossi
i had no idea what that was, but the gun looks mean! and i have been
catching myself talking about buying a gun with my friends and family,
they think im crazy but i tell them that its better to have one than not have one,
and in my mind the only dangerous thing about a gun is if it is in the hands of the
wrong person, we try to hear each other out. and a ccw permit i really want,
do i need to have the gun unloaded if i have a ccw?

MKEgal

Welcome to the fora, & (soon) to being an armed citizen.
(BTW, the blue words below should be links to other sites.)

1) For finding lots of carry-law-related info quick, click on whatever state you're interested in at
[url]www.handgunlaw.us[/URL]
I've never found more than a minor mistake there, & the PDF for each state links to the laws, AG's office, etc., so you can (AND SHOULD!) go read it yourself.
For instance, here's the one for Kansas.
Top right of the first page links you to the state FAQ about firearms, the application for a license, the AG's office, etc. It says it was last updated 01FEB12. I think that PDF will answer a lot of your questions.

2) For practical learning, start with a basic safety & intro to shooting class. I'm partial to NRA classes, being an NRA instructor, but the important thing is to learn (& INTERNALIZE!!) safety. Memorize those 4 rules until you don't even think about them. Then think about them some more.
You can break one rule & probably nothing bad will happen. Break 2 & trouble is more likely. Break 3 & you're pretty much guaranteed to have problems.
Learn to make a good shot on the range, & when you're under stress you'll do OK, even without time to line up the perfect sight picture.

3) Once you have the basics & can make a decent group at, say, 10 yards, take a class focussed on self-defense with a firearm. Again, the NRA offers 2 classes (titled "Personal Protection in the Home" & "Personal Protection Outside the Home"). There are other organizations, lots of instructors with a variety of backgrounds. Check them out before you buy, so you know you're not being taken in by someone with more mouth than experience.

4) To find the right pistol for you, go to a store & handle everything they'll let you handle. It helps to go at a slow time. Remember the rules about keeping your finger off the trigger & the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Find something that fits your hand, because if you can't control it you can't shoot it safely. Make a list of everything you like.
Then go back & worry about revolver vs. semiautomatic, caliber... All those things that cause debate on any board. :)
IMO, reliability is the second consideration. This is your life we're talking about. Get a good brand.
Price also has to come in near the top of the "things to consider" list for most people.

Often a brand will carry their grip size & angle through their whole line, or much of it, so if you find a brand that feels like it was made for your hand, get one from them. [That's one reason I love my Glocks.]

For caliber:
In general, bigger caliber is better in terms of stopping an attack quickly, but you have to be able to control your shots. So if you're good with a .38 but can't control a .40, get the .38.

Revolver v. semiauto
In general, revolvers are simpler machines, but have lower capacity & are thicker, so harder to conceal. (Not a problem here, this is a site dedicated to open carry.)
In general, semiautos are more complicated machines (though still a low failure rate), but have a higher capacity & are thinner.
I prefer semiautos mostly because of the capacity (nobody ever wished for less ammo).

Try to find a range that has rentals for the things you're thinking about buying, or ask around to see who has one of whatever you think you'd like. Buy a box of ammo for your new friend & one for you & probably they'll let you try it out.

5) For practical carry-related learning, find books by Massad Ayoob, Jeff Cooper, Kathy Jackson... help me out, guys, who else is really good? Speaking of Kathy, her website [url]www.corneredcat.com[/URL] is aimed at women, but has a wealth of useful info for anyone to think about.

6) Start asking around & reading to get the names of a couple good criminal defense lawyers in your area, preferably ones who are 2A friendly. Put their numbers in your cell phone, keep their cards handy, & give their contact info to whoever you'll call if you're ever arrested.

7) Watch the videos at [url]www.flexyourrights.org[/URL] about how to deal with nonconsenual encounters with police. Those are also available on YouTube.
Watch the video on YouTube about why you shouldn't talk with police if they're investigating you. The first half-ish is a law professor talking at warp speed. The second half is a law student & ex-LEO who starts out by saying "what he said", & goes on to explain why you shouldn't talk to police.

MilProGuy

Welcome to the forum and to the world of firearms.

Safety is paramount, so I strongly urge you to take a "hunter safety" course, or it's equivilent, to familiarize yourself with firearms and firearm safety.

sha-ul

Welcome to the forum and to the world of firearms.

Safety is paramount, so I strongly urge you to take a "hunter safety" course, or it's equivilent, to familiarize yourself with firearms and firearm safety.

That would be a very good intro class
If you want to learn about rifle marksmanship, you might look into an appleseed shoot.they are reasonably priced& can give you lots of one on one coaching.

eskewei

ok, i have a side question,
does kansas city kansas allow
civilians to have expandable batons??
just ran into a situation the other
night where i had to use pepper spray
and it wasnt fun.

sha-ul

ok, i have a side question,
does kansas city kansas allow
civilians to have expandable batons??
just ran into a situation the other
night where i had to use pepper spray
and it wasnt fun.

To the best of my knowledge, NO.ymmv
I would suggest contacting the KSAG for clarification.