Thread: Is Indiana OC?

Is Indiana OC?

Is Indiana Open Carry? I lam a Washinton State Resident with a valid Washington State Concealed Pistol License [CPL] and will most likely be visiting family in the Hoosier State. Can I get a link to Firearms law/info for Indiana please?

Yes, IN is OC. Indiana law does not differentiate between open and concealed carry. As long as you can legally carry, you can open or conceal carry. There is no law stating that OC is legal. It is just "not illegal."

This is a good summary of IN handgun law.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf
    Last edited by griffin; 02-04-2012 at 06:26 PM.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Just to clarify griffin's reply: It would not be legal for you to carry openly if you did not have your Washington State License.

The actual laws are found here:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/

Chapter 2 is most relevant, but you might find it enlightening to peruse all of article 47.

Correct, but the OP does have a WA license, and IN honors WA licenses. Thus he can carry in IN and OC in IN.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Correct, but the OP does have a WA license, and IN honors WA licenses. Thus he can carry in IN and OC in IN.
    No harm done.
    I realize that Mr. Denton is licensed, but just thought it prudent to clarify for others who might be reading your post that says "There is no law stating OC is legal" and think that they can OC in Indiana without a license. Your post was ambiguous in that respect.

I thought my statement, "As long as you can legally carry, you can open or conceal carry," covered that.
    Wheels

Thank you for the info and pointer in the right direction, i am familiarizing myself with that entire chapter. Have a wonderful day =)

Quote Originally Posted by cce1302 View Post
    No harm done.
    I realize that Mr. Denton is licensed, but just thought it prudent to clarify for others who might be reading your post that says "There is no law stating OC is legal" and think that they can OC in Indiana without a license. Your post was ambiguous in that respect.
    Actually thank you for the clarification. I live in Kentucky where OC is legal without any license.
    I will make sure that before I cross the bridge I take it off and put it in the glove box. Really dont want to be arrested.
    With Kentucky being a OC without license I was actually debating on the need of even getting my CCDW permit. Now that I know about IN I think I will go pay for a class.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_c012 View Post
    Actually thank you for the clarification. I live in Kentucky where OC is legal without any license.
    I will make sure that before I cross the bridge I take it off and put it in the glove box. Really dont want to be arrested.
    With Kentucky being a OC without license I was actually debating on the need of even getting my CCDW permit. Now that I know about IN I think I will go pay for a class.
    If you do not have a permit, you cannot carry into Ind. Putting it in you glove box wont help if you do not have a lisc/permit.