• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Indiana OC?

Phillip Denton

Is Indiana Open Carry? I lam a Washinton State Resident with a valid Washington State Concealed Pistol License [CPL] and will most likely be visiting family in the Hoosier State. Can I get a link to Firearms law/info for Indiana please?

griffin

Yes, IN is OC. Indiana law does not differentiate between open and concealed carry. As long as you can legally carry, you can open or conceal carry. There is no law stating that OC is legal. It is just "not illegal."

This is a good summary of IN handgun law.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf

Last edited:

griffin

Correct, but the OP does have a WA license, and IN honors WA licenses. Thus he can carry in IN and OC in IN.

cce1302

Correct, but the OP does have a WA license, and IN honors WA licenses. Thus he can carry in IN and OC in IN.

No harm done.
I realize that Mr. Denton is licensed, but just thought it prudent to clarify for others who might be reading your post that says "There is no law stating OC is legal" and think that they can OC in Indiana without a license. Your post was ambiguous in that respect.

griffin

I thought my statement, "As long as you can legally carry, you can open or conceal carry," covered that.

Phillip Denton

Thank you for the info and pointer in the right direction, i am familiarizing myself with that entire chapter. Have a wonderful day =)

dan_c012

No harm done.
I realize that Mr. Denton is licensed, but just thought it prudent to clarify for others who might be reading your post that says "There is no law stating OC is legal" and think that they can OC in Indiana without a license. Your post was ambiguous in that respect.

Actually thank you for the clarification. I live in Kentucky where OC is legal without any license.
I will make sure that before I cross the bridge I take it off and put it in the glove box. Really dont want to be arrested.
With Kentucky being a OC without license I was actually debating on the need of even getting my CCDW permit. Now that I know about IN I think I will go pay for a class. :D

hogeaterf6

Actually thank you for the clarification. I live in Kentucky where OC is legal without any license.
I will make sure that before I cross the bridge I take it off and put it in the glove box. Really dont want to be arrested.
With Kentucky being a OC without license I was actually debating on the need of even getting my CCDW permit. Now that I know about IN I think I will go pay for a class. :D

If you do not have a permit, you cannot carry into Ind. Putting it in you glove box wont help if you do not have a lisc/permit.