• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A little ot Just got my house searched

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Still no issue here as if this would occur, get that crap out of here that could endanger my family and there would be a greater chance this idiot would return, break in and get the drugs that were left and even more damage being created.

It's more likely than not that your family member would be arrested in this situation. Are you ok with that?

You do make a good point that this would prevent the bad neighbor from returning.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
It's more likely than not that your family member would be arrested in this situation. Are you ok with that?
You do make a good point that this would prevent the bad neighbor from returning.

Nick with the circumstances surrounding why they are there and wanting to look for him, I do not feel you or a family member would be in danger of being arrested/detained referencing that a bag of drugs was left by the criminal they are seeking. No doubt there will be some discussion though I feel it would end there, the attitude of all cops are bad (which they are not) keeps driving this discussion down the crapper with paranoia.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Nick with the circumstances surrounding why they are there and wanting to look for him, I do not feel you or a family member would be in danger of being arrested/detained referencing that a bag of drugs was left by the criminal they are seeking. No doubt there will be some discussion though I feel it would end there, the attitude of all cops are bad (which they are not) keeps driving this discussion down the crapper with paranoia.

I do concur that many express paranoia regarding their police encounter.

I also believe that the police in the circumstance may not need a warrant. They have knowledge that a crime is afoot and a reasonable pursuit may take them into your abode with their knowledge. I still would not verbally agree to a search.

Fallschirjmäger

rpyne said:
A couple of examples I have learned about in recent months:

Do you own a guitar with an ebony fingerboard that was manufactured after 1979? If so, you are a felon.
Have you purchased a large lobster? I don't remember the exact weight allowed, but purchase of lobsters over a certain size is made a felony by NAFTA.
Many trade agreements make the laws of other countries apply to U.S. citizens.
There are so many things that are incorporated into law by way of treaty that it is impossible for anyone to unequivocally state that they have committed no crime.
I can guarantee you that if the police decide they want to target you, they can find something you own or something you have done that can qualify as a felony.

Where are your cites to backup this rhetoric? Or could it possibly be unsubstantiated bull?
Rutrohhh... I think someone just fell old trick of arguing with someone who Already knew the answers to the questions he just asked. That hardly Ever works out in the favor of the guy being asked.
Perhaps you should not only watch, but listen to a little video entitled Don't Talk to the Police. Lord knows it's only been posted on this board about a dozen times already.

Over or undersized lobsters?
Read the news here.

Ebony Fingerboard Raid?
The Gibson Guitar Raid.
On August 24, 2011, around 8:45 a.m. CDT, agents for the federal government executed four search warrants on Gibson’s facilities in Nashville and Memphis and seized several pallets of wood, electronic files and guitars. Ebony fingerboard violate no laws in the United States, however there are regulatory laws in Madagascar.

Think you can get in trouble for say, having a bony fish when there are absolutely no U.S. laws pertaining to having one?
Guess again, see 16 USC § 3370, which makes it a felony for any person to “import, export, transport, sell, receive, acquire, or purchase any fish or wildlife or plant taken, possessed, transported, or sold in violation of any law, treaty, or regulation of the United States or in violation of any Indian tribal law or regulation of any state or any foreign law.
Having an Honduran bony fish isn't against any law in the United States, it is against Honduran law, and you can be prosecuted by the United States for violating Honduran law even though you are not in Honduras, and have never been in Honduras. That's at 5:50 of "Don't Talk to the Police" by the way.

Far from being unsubstantiated bull.
I should probably be amazed that anyone can have the naïveté to be on this board and not be aware of these things.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Rutrohhh... I think someone just fell old trick of arguing with someone who Already knew the answers to the questions he just asked. That hardly Ever works out in the favor of the guy being asked.
Perhaps you should not only watch, but listen to a little video entitled Don't Talk to the Police. Lord knows it's only been posted on this board about a dozen times already.

Over or undersized lobsters?
Read the news here.

Ebony Fingerboard Raid?
The Gibson Guitar Raid.
On August 24, 2011, around 8:45 a.m. CDT, agents for the federal government executed four search warrants on Gibson’s facilities in Nashville and Memphis and seized several pallets of wood, electronic files and guitars. Ebony fingerboard violate no laws in the United States, however there are regulatory laws in Madagascar.

Think you can get in trouble for say, having a bony fish when there are absolutely no U.S. laws pertaining to having one?
Guess again, see 16 USC § 3370, which makes it a felony for any person to “import, export, transport, sell, receive, acquire, or purchase any fish or wildlife or plant taken, possessed, transported, or sold in violation of any law, treaty, or regulation of the United States or in violation of any Indian tribal law or regulation of any state or any foreign law.
Having an Honduran bony fish isn't against any law in the United States, it is against Honduran law, and you can be prosecuted by the United States for violating Honduran law even though you are not in Honduras, and have never been in Honduras. That's at 5:50 of "Don't Talk to the Police" by the way.

Far from being unsubstantiated bull.
I should probably be amazed that anyone can have the naïveté to be on this board and not be aware of these things.

And how do you think this is going to apply to joe smuck? If you read the articles you posted it will show that they went after the manufacture not joe citizen, and then we look at the lobster issue, fishing regulations and has to do with lobster fisherman again not joe citizen. And the best possessing a bony fish lol really, if one follows approved routes to purchase items and keep them in their homes there is no issue. Apparently one would have to commit an illegal act just to buy those things.

You are grasping for straws and an embarrassment.

sudden valley gunner

Someone's love of LEO and the state clouds his judgement.

Keep yelling paranoia to obfuscate the issue.

Keep calling those people crooks to demonize their position.

Then switch to trying to associate them with crazies wearing tin-foil if that doesn't work.

Say unfounded assertion that people here are saying all cops bad,,,, nope no one said it that's against the rules.

Again its not about paranoia its not about having something to hide .....but of course people would have to believe in individual liberty and fundamental rights to understand that.

Hey and if you want to be paranoid, there is plenty of innocent people who have paid the price as proof, there are plenty of studies and facts to prove when dealing with LEA's you are not going to be given a fair shake by them. Especially if you happen to believe they shouldn't have the power to trample your fundamental rights.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Tsk, tsk, you should have availed yourself to the video referenced; you'd be looking much less foolish now.
Perhaps you missed "People have been convicted in Federal Court for violating this statute because they brought back a bony fish from Honduras..." That means if you go fishing in the Gulf, maybe on a visit to Belize, hook a bony fish and pull back into a U.S. port you've just committed a federal crime.
It doesn't matter that you never crossed into Honduran waters, never visited Honduras, or never even heard of the country before. Doesn't even matter that there is no law in the US regarding bony fish. You have a fish protected by Honduran law and the US is obligated to enforce their laws through treaty.

I'd say average Joe Schmuck isn't gonna be important enough to warrant any favors from the Federal Courts, but that's just me.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
This thread is a prime example on how some use anything they can to promote their agenda of general mistrust of all government, again this story is about a current threat, police chasing down a criminal that just committed a crime and again permission given to search and not a premise of Joe Citizens walking down the street and confronted for legal activities, a whole different ball game.

sawah

http://overlawyered.com/2011/12/the-police-have-no-obligation-to-protect-you-yes-really/

If you wish to not permit their entry , you are not assuming any more risk, since they don't have any duty to you as an individual already. I am slowly moving to "it doesn't matter if I have nothing to hide, you should protect any right guaranteed by the constitution, 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, whichever."

That's the thing. The cops will hide behind the 'no duty to protect an individual' UNLESS it suits them.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
That's the thing. The cops will hide behind the 'no duty to protect an individual' UNLESS it suits them.

And yet when called upon when a shooting occurs or someone being attacked they come running? How is that? It is about context on what is occurring, circumstances, preparedness, capabilities and some will never be happy with anything.

Fallschirjmäger

Well, we all HOPE they come a'runnin', but if some cop is on his break and doesn't come you have absolutely no legal recourse. Cops don't work for the people, they work for the entity that pays their salary. And that's going to be a village, town, city, county, or state.
At least with a Sheriff's Deputy he works for the guy elected by the people.

DevinWKuska

In my PERSONAL opinion I dont see why some are making a huge deal about this. Yes we do have the right to deny the LEO's access to our private homes, but to me there was no harm. The LEO's were looking for a dangerous person, the gf felt it was a good idea to let them search. If any of you remember the Forza shooting you know that a simple search may have turned up a criminal. Now me, myself personally I would have told the police that I was equipped to defend myself and nobody had entered or left the house in hours, and wished them good luck through the door. The leo's didnt address the OP's firearms, nor the GF's firearms(or lack of). So really this whole thread isnt really relevant, as besides the GF's desire for a gun(long gun or hand gun?) it states nothing about open carry or hand guns

Vitaeus

Here was a fellow that was in error about his status in regards to firearms. He was even the one who called the police.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/jan/29/bremerton-man-convicted-firearms-case-be-sentenced/

having trouble finding the citation for result of his appeal, but if I remember correctly it was overturned and the couple moved the hell out of Kitsap County when the ink dried.

Yes Dave, he should have known better, but my point is you likely DON'T until it is too late or like the incident in Virginia or West Virginia, you get to prove it was legal AFTER you start the ride. I do not disrespect the police, but I do have a healthy desire to not have them involved in my life. The days of Peqace Officers is long gone, they are know Law Enforcement Officers and you are generally outnumbered and outgunned, why let them into the Castle to start out with?

edit:Devin: It seems we often veer off from OC into other Amendment discussion, so far the moderators don't smack us as long as its a reasoned discussion and pertains to WA RCWs and such

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Is it really that hard for some to know what is right and wrong? What is legal and not legal? What happened to parenting?

The guy in the link was an ex-con that lost his rights to own or posses firearms and did not and knowing full well he had to have them restored.
I know as well the issue was raised it was not his and it was kept in a safe "which he had access to".
I worked in corrections for a number of years and any convict know full well they cannot be in possession or access firearms.

If someone here does not know if they are committing a felony well it is damm time you find out and correct it.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

This thread is a prime example on how some use anything they can to promote their agenda of general mistrust of all government, again this story is about a current threat, police chasing down a criminal that just committed a crime and again permission given to search and not a premise of Joe Citizens walking down the street and confronted for legal activities, a whole different ball game.

And when you let said police into your home, and they find said bag of cocaine disposed of by said bad guy,

GUESS WHO'S GOING TO JAIL!