• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you all think about American Militia....and martial law.

Gil223

I don't think anything like this is likely to happen but I'm not so naive or with my head in the sand to say it won't or can't happen. As I recall, Virginia passed a resolution after the despicable incidents by "authorities" in New Orleans with Katrina that would prevent something like this from happening in Virginia. And there is now a bill making its way through Richmond to make this law in our state. And do keep in mind that all able bodied men between the ages of 17 and 45 are automatically members of the militia.

"§ 311. Militia: composition and classes
How Current is This?
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia."

That's one heck of a lot of folks. I would imagine that if Martial Law were ever declared for less than extreme emergency conditions, there'd be a mess of people who would ignore it and band together to protect themselves from whomever was a threat. But who knows. Let's just hope we never see this take place.

Virgina's resolution is simply a reaffirmation of the same definition from the Federal Code. The fed's shouldn't have a problem with it (but then, there's Arizona's restatement of USC Title 18's Immigration laws, which put Holder y Cia into a tizzy). Pax...

P.S. Whoda thunk that Major George S. Patton would lead a cavalry charge against American citizens, at the direction of General Douglas MacArthur? But, it happened!

Last edited:

XD9mmFMJ

I have tinfoil hats for sale....just sayin.

I think you need to take your prozac and stop acting nutty.....just sayin.

Should I quote the reports by the Red Cross and others as to what the gulags were really like? Should I lay it all down and make you look like a fool? Nah....you already look foolish for trying to deny it. Maybe you are one of the commies yourself, because they always respond in this fashion to the facts.

Last edited:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
If there is a worse example of tyranical government than China today I don't wanna see it. Yet in spite of some of the strictest gun laws in the world, and their complete disregard of human rights even China cannot stop people from getting, owning or even making guns.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122394012224530655.html

Since I enjoy the luxury of living in a country with more guns per capita than any nation on earth, you'll have to forgive me for not living in fear of a government that can not even stop dope from getting into it's prison system.

wrightme

I bet the 50 million Russians who were slaughtered in the gulags were making jokes like yours before it happened. Thankfully, the same people who took over Russia are now destroying the U.S. one peg at a time. If you're wanting a job with them, bring your hack saw, because they like chopping their victims to bits. No need to clean up, they left blood dried inches thick on the floor, so all you'll need is some good rubber boots. I'd quote you what it was actually like with bits of brains and bone everywhere, scalps sticking to the wall, women with their babies cut out of their stomachs, people nailed to the ceiling by the fingers, some chained down with hot lead poured in their mouths, some having their eyes gouged out with hot pokers. This is real history...keep saying it won't happen. We're headed there right now.

None of what you say validates the claims being presented.

wrightme

I think you need to take your prozac and stop acting nutty.....just sayin.

Should I quote the reports by the Red Cross and others as to what the gulags were really like? Should I lay it all down and make you look like a fool? Nah....you already look foolish for trying to deny it. Maybe you are one of the commies yourself, because they always respond in this fashion to the facts.

"what they were really like" is relevant.....for Russia when it was happening.

As for relevance to us in the USA? Nope, other than as a part of scary bedtime stories some people attempt to pass off as if it were fact.

wrightme

Grizz272

I have recently been watching and doing some research on martial law being invoked in the U.S. and the taking away of our civil liberties.... like being forced to give up all our weapons in an event of a terrorist attack or any large scale event on our homeland. I was wondering what everybody thinks about this and what would you do if this were to happen. I myself would never give up my constitutional rights that Ive earned. Just want to see if I'm just crazy or do you think this is the reality that we live in.

Shenanigan13 Are you the guy that got Banned over on PAFOA website for starting the exact same thread with virtually the exact same original post?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Adversaries of the Militia

Some of you have probably already seen this. I just stumbled across it today, from Constitution.org. I thought it appropriate. :D

The duty of the militia is to protect society, its members, and its Constitution, from anything that may threaten it. That includes foreign enemies, domestic insurrectionists, and disasters, but at the moment, the primary threat to which the Militia needs to respond comes from domestic enemies of the Constitution, which are found in every institution and sector of our society. Many of them are gangsters, and we can speak of the Establishment, gangster government, gangster corporations, banksters, and their minions, many of them driven by the money from narcotrafficking. But it also includes zealots and fascists who pretend to have noble intentions, and may even believe it, but who are the most dangerous of all.

These are the adversaries common to militias everywhere:

Corrupt, abusive, and incompetent legislators and executive branch officials
Those who represent special interests and resist reforms that would reduce the efficacy of campaign contributions to influence the outcomes of elections.

Corrupt, abusive, and incompetent judges:
Judges who make political decisions instead of legal decisions, and then try to make their decisions look like legal decisions;
Judges who refuse to allow legal arguments to be made in the presence of the jury, or to allow defense counsel to inform the jury they have the power and duty to judge the validity of the charges and the statutes as well as the facts;
Federal judges who preside over cases in which the federal courts lack constitutional jurisdiction;
Election judges who participate in the rigging of elections;
Federal bankruptcy judges who conspire with corrupt receivers to deprive persons of their property;
Judges who protect fellow officials, judges, and lawyers from accountability for their wrongdoing.

Corrupt, abusive, and incompetent prosecutors:
Prosecutors who overlook cases against the powerful and government officials;
Prosecutors who manipulate grand juries to indict the innocent;
Prosecutors who falsify evidence to get convictions;
Prosecutors who unduly influence judges and opposition attorneys;
Federal prosecutors who prosecute cases over which the federal courts lack constitutional jurisdiction.

Corrupt, abusive, and incompetent law enforcement agents:
Those who take bribes or look the other way when the powerful commit crimes;
Those who use military methods instead of law enforcement methods;
Those who participate in the "Code of Silence" to cover up offenses by their colleagues;
Local and state law enforcement officials who fail to stand up to federal agents when those agents are operating outside their constitutional jurisdictions and intruding into state and local jurisdictions, or who fail to enforce the law when federal agents are the offenders;
Federal and state officials involved in the smuggling of narcotics into the country;
Federal agents who enforce unconstitutional federal laws or do so outside federal jurisdiction.

Corrupt, abusive, and incompetent bureaucrats
Those who take their orders from corrupt special interests instead of serving the public;
Those who conspire to protect their jobs even when those jobs are unnecessary or too expensive, who create unnecessary rules that create more work for them and for their colleagues;
Those who support the enforcement of unconstitutional statutes and regulations;
Those who participate in rigged bids and in lax enforcement of contract compliance;
Those who persecute whistleblowers who try to bring attention to abuses.

Corrupt, abusive, and incompetent lawyers
This includes all those attorneys who put their own interests and those of other lawyers ahead of the best interests of their clients and the public, and ahead of the cause of justice before the law.

Corrupt, abusive, and incompetent corporate agents
This includes all those who rig bids for contracts, cheat or gouge their customers, pollute the environment, neglect the health and safety of their workers or patients, and collude to force small competitors out of business. It also includes banks who conspire with corrupt judges and lawyers to deprive persons of their property.

Corrupt, abusive, and incompetent news media
This includes all those who neglect to report on corruption and abuse by the powerful and thereby participate in the cover-ups of criminal activity, and who ignore or demonize critics of such corruption and abuse, reformers, dissidents, investigators and whistleblowers.

Conventional gangsters
This is the branch of organized crime that is most directly involved in narcotics, extortion, prostitution, gambling, loansharking, bootlegging, and bid rigging. They are actively involved in corrupting judges, prosecutors, and law enforcement officials, in cooperation with corrupt officials in state and federal agencies.

Members of hate groups
Hate groups still exist and they are suspected of recent crimes against persons and property, including the burning of black churches. There is reason to suspect collusion with elements of the Dixie Mafia and racist members of law enforcement organizations. Those who have committed crimes need to be brought to justice, and the others counseled to try to redeem them as good citizens.

Corrupt, abusive, and incompetent educators
Too many educators are taking advantage of their position to undereducate and indoctrinate their students in ways that undermine the civic virtues needed to sustain constitutional compliance.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Difference between a Militia and a State Defense Force

I think a lot of people are using the terms Militia and SDF interchangeably. While there's some overlap, there are some significant differences.

First, the term "militia" is loosely defined. Some of our Founding Fathers wrote that it consisted of every citizen capable of bearing arms. Indeed, Congress established the present National Guard under its own power to raise armies, expressly stating that it was not doing so under its power to organize and arm the militia.

A little known fact from history:

The proposal finally passed the House in its present form: "A well regulated militia, being necessary for the preservation of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." In this form it was submitted into the Senate, which passed it the following day. The Senate in the process indicated its intent that the right be an individual one, for private purposes, by rejecting an amendment which would have limited the keeping and bearing of arms to bearing "For the common defense". - Source: 1982 Congressional Report on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms

Another gem from the same document:

Subsequent legislation in the second Congress likewise supports the interpretation of the Second Amendment that creates an individual right. In the Militia Act of 1792, the second Congress defined "militia of the United States" to include almost every free adult male in the United States. These persons were obligated by law to possess a firearm and a minimum supply of ammunition and military equipment. This statute, incidentally, remained in effect into the early years of the present century as a legal requirement of gun ownership for most of the population of the United States. There can by little doubt from this that when the Congress and the people spoke of a "militia", they had reference to the traditional concept of the entire populace capable of bearing arms, and not to any formal group such as what is today called the National Guard. The purpose was to create an armed citizenry, which the political theorists at the time considered essential to ward off tyranny.

A State Defense Force, on the other hand, is recognized by the federal government under 32 U.S.C. § 109 which provides that state defense forces as a whole may not be called, ordered, or drafted into the armed forces of the United States, thus preserving their separation from the National Guard. In addition, State defense forces are authorized by state and federal law and are under the command of the governor of each state.

Nearly every state has laws authorizing state defense forces, and 22 states, plus Puerto Rico, have active SDFs with different levels of activity, support, and strength. State defense forces generally operate with emergency management and homeland security missions.

Now - As to what I think about the militia and marshal law:

Under 32 USC § 109(e) "A person may not become a member of a defense force . . . if he is a member of a reserve component of the armed forces."

As I'm retired military and have not yet achieved the statutory age of 60 years, I'm still a member of a reserve component: The Retired Reserve. Thus, I cannot be a member of any State Defense Force.

I am, however, a member of the general militia, and can also be a member of any specific militia.

Typically, the imposition of martial law accompanies curfews, the suspension of civil law, civil rights, habeas corpus, and the application or extension of military law or military justice to civilians. Civilians defying martial law may be subjected to military tribunal (court-martial).

Any militia, whether general or specific, are still composed of civilians. Thus, defying martial law would not bode well. A member of a State Defense Force, on the other hand, would almost certainly be mobilized by that state's governor, and would be kept pretty busy, probably enforcing martial law.

If our country faced country-wide martial law, it would almost certainly be accompanied by either Partial or Full Mobilization. If the latter, I would almost certainly be returned to active duty status.

Last edited: