• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gotta love tax time! spending money! <3

DrakeZ07

So! Got my W2's in, and filed my taxes with H&R, expecting a modest bit of a return, and since Knob Creek won't be going on this spring, I can look to spending my money on another firearm; yet to decide on a rifle or a pistol, maybe if any of you fine southern gentleman (I had to say it in a southern belle writing accent xD) have any ideas on a pistol under 400$ for OC, or a Semi-Auto rifle under 850$ you can PM me <3

Back on point, I was out earlier with my BF, shopping around at JC Penny's, looking for some nice clothes for me, and him, and this Mt Sterling cop was looking around the clothes area we was at, looked to straight to be shopping for himself; Anyway, he came over and asked for our opinions of what would look good and stuff, a rather surprising conversation, with just as surprising type of person in the women's dept.

Somehow we got to the topic of firearms (My BF's Hi-point, OC'd totally not the reason :) ), but anyway, talked on about it, and he was very friendly and nice, the JC Penny staff didn't have a problem. I popped a question to him that's been bugging us. So, the last time I purchased a pistol, was last March. And since then, back in July I got my first ticket ever, Public Intoxication, paid it with no problems, haven't heard a single word from the Forestry Dept since. I asked the cop if he thought that would have any effect on my buying something with my tax returns.

He said it shouldn't keep me from buying anything, it's not a felony, was just a first offense minor misdemeanor; but he did say that I shouldn't be surprised if the background check came up with a problem, or it wouldn't clear.

I'm not so much worried, I'm sure I can find a local private buyer for what I may decide on, but I'm wondering if what he said has any truth in it, I don't want to be embarrassed at a gun shop by my background check not clearing, or something, or being very slow.

Comments? Concerns?

And in case your wondering, yes, we was able to pick him out a nice gown for his wife ^.^, happy ending.

neuroblades

Drake, it's not been all that uncommon for the 4473's to come up red as of late. I've had 2 friends attempt to purchase new hand guns in the past 6 months and both were initially refused or delayed for no reason beyond the fact that the ATF can! Don't be surprised if they gank up on you, just wait the few days and go back in and check again, those that have been messed up like this usually clear in a few days.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
With the Obama admin. Letting ATF mandate reporting requirements when someone buys more than 1 rifle chambered .22 or larger, I wouldn't be surprised if they start making everyone wait, just because they can. Thank god I have a cdwl, but who knows when they will decide not to accept that. I look for things to get wildly out of control if Obama gets re-elected, or if Romney gets in office. We need to support Ron Paul all we can! I have Ron Paul magnets on my vehicle, and I'm going to make phone calls and house visits for his campaign. If he doesn't get the presidency, we are screwed.

DrakeZ07

Drake, it's not been all that uncommon for the 4473's to come up red as of late. I've had 2 friends attempt to purchase new hand guns in the past 6 months and both were initially refused or delayed for no reason beyond the fact that the ATF can! Don't be surprised if they gank up on you, just wait the few days and go back in and check again, those that have been messed up like this usually clear in a few days.

Is there a way around it? or a way to check yourself, like call the background place the dealers use?

@KYGlockster; bad, bad boy, no derailing my thread :/

Jbale22

To second what flb said, that is the way around having to call-in a 4473, by presenting a CCDW. I'm sure that they can insist on calling it in if they like, I can't speak for anyone else here but I haven't heard of any instance where someone has insisted on calling in a instant background check with a CCDW present because I know they state has attorney's that when they are not representing a LEO in court or something they are constantly doing background checks on CCDW holders. Which if you saw our (KY) firearm transaction stats for 2011 you could tell. But on the note of spending money, I'm looking for my next purchase to either be a 1911 on an AR similar in price, but leaning towards AR. I'm looking for one with mil-spec things and other preferences but I have a good buddy that works at Dick's who said they have a bushmaster that has the M4 barrel, forward assist and dust cover, only down side is no sights just a picatinny rail on top which just means its perfect for a red dot lol. But they had that for right at $850.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
If your looking for a cheap AR that is reliable look at the s&w m&p15 sport. I bought one of these to keep in my pick-up, and it's amazingly accurate and reliable for the price. Only down side is it doesn't have a dust cover, nor a forward assist. Personally, I think if you need a forward assist, your getting yourself into problems, like getting a round lodged in a dirty chamber, when what it really needed was cleaned. I think I paid 620 for the rifle, comes with flattop, and iron sights and one magpul 30rd mag.

09jisaac

If your looking for a cheap AR that is reliable look at the s&w m&p15 sport. I bought one of these to keep in my pick-up, and it's amazingly accurate and reliable for the price. Only down side is it doesn't have a dust cover, nor a forward assist. Personally, I think if you need a forward assist, your getting yourself into problems, like getting a round lodged in a dirty chamber, when what it really needed was cleaned. I think I paid 620 for the rifle, comes with flattop, and iron sights and one magpul 30rd mag.

How much did you pay for that? I got a M&P flattop with the huge front sight, dust cover and forward assist. I got mine for christmas a few years back so I don't know how much was paid for it, but I was thinking it was only around $800 then.

True story: I was REALLY wanting an AR but my mom said we couldn't afford it. Got that beast for christmas and fell in love with everything about it. Shot it the 1st time and almost cried. It wouldn't feed a magazine without stopping off 10 or so times (wolf, got a 500rd can of it same christmas). About 250rds into to it it loosened up enough that it would feed. I haven't had a single jam in it since, but I keep it clean. Everyday I take it out I clean it off, every time I shoot it I clean it. But I only feed it the cheap stuff, so I don't think this is too much to do. I wouldn't trade it for any other gun. So I second the M&P, but I would suggest the forward assist. Mine lived off of it for the 1st 100 rds.

Jbale22

Gotta love tax time! Just bought an AR. Went with S&W M&P15X. Bought it from CDNN(my first choice if I need something for ANY of my firearms) Fast shipping and anytime I called for info always answer really quick and great to deal with. It should be at my FFL on Tuesday and I'll let you know how the transaction goes. Hopefully good, can't get CCDW until 21 so they will have to call-in the 4473. I know Long gun carry is off topic( not planning on OCing in) but if I am transporting my AR to go shoot, can it be in my trunk of in my backseat and have a loaded mag in it? I'm assuming it would be considered "Open Carry" but I won't be carrying it in public.

09jisaac

I know Long gun carry is off topic( not planning on OCing in) but if I am transporting my AR to go shoot, can it be in my trunk of in my backseat and have a loaded mag in it? I'm assuming it would be considered "Open Carry" but I won't be carrying it in public.

Long gun carry IS off topic, but long gun transport isn't. The owner don't want to damage what we have and thinks, understandably, that long gun carry can damage that.

You can keep a loaded firearm in your trunk, or in plain view in the passenger compartment. If you have your CCDW you can even legally conceal the gun. KRS has very little difference between a handgun and a long gun.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99708-Kentucky-Gun-Laws

I made this thread to keep all of us law abiding citizens on the good side of the law.

Jbale22

Exactly what I thought that there wasn't any legal difference, but personally like most people on here I would say long gun OC is just asking for trouble. Regular OC is great and encourage many people to do but that evokes enough concern and criticism from those uneducated of the law. Just wanted to clarify and get my fellow OC'ers opinion but figured it would be a hard to fit an AR in my glovebox lol.

Carry On!!!

Jbale22

Went and picked up my AR today, filled out my 4473 got it called in everything was smooth sailing. CDNN was great to deal with and would recommend them highly for accessories (1 to 1000 items $10 shipping and $23 on all firearms.) Great prices and got a great deal on an AR. But if anyone orders offline and is in the Louisville area TG&G (formerly Bluegrass Indoor Range) was very easy to deal with and would recommend highly as well $20 transfer charge.

Hope everyone spent their tax money well! :banana:

DrakeZ07

Went and picked up my AR today, filled out my 4473 got it called in everything was smooth sailing. CDNN was great to deal with and would recommend them highly for accessories (1 to 1000 items $10 shipping and $23 on all firearms.) Great prices and got a great deal on an AR. But if anyone orders offline and is in the Louisville area TG&G (formerly Bluegrass Indoor Range) was very easy to deal with and would recommend highly as well $20 transfer charge.

Hope everyone spent their tax money well! :banana:

Bad, bad dog, hi-jacking a poor guys thread :/

For some reason, the IRS is delaying my tax returns... Oh well, plenty more time to decide what I want to get. Hopefully I'll get my taxes back BEFORE December :/ I wanna be prepared in case people go nuts for the end of the world.

rob31567

Well, Ive already spent what little I could. So I bought a S&W M&P .40, so my OCing days will start here shortly. :D:monkey

DrakeZ07

Well, Ive already spent what little I could. So I bought a S&W M&P .40, so my OCing days will start here shortly. :D:monkey

What'd you pay for it? any good? realible? easy to disassemble and clean? straight on target? other info?

Been trying to decide between a .45ACP and a 9mm; would you go with the 40SW over the former two? Is 40SW cheaper?

09jisaac

What'd you pay for it? any good? realible? easy to disassemble and clean? straight on target? other info?

Been trying to decide between a .45ACP and a 9mm; would you go with the 40SW over the former two? Is 40SW cheaper?

The M&P is very reliable (the two 9mms I have shot and others I have heard about). Disassembles one of two ways both start out by locking the slide back and turning the take down lever 90* then you can either push down the internal take down lever and slide the slide off of the frame or you can let the slide move forward and pull the trigger to take it the rest of the way off. They're very good shooters in my opinion, the trigger isn't anything spectacular (very gritty) but it does point good. Head and shoulders over glocks, in my opinion.

The .40 is suppose to be the best of both worlds. Its ballistics are purportedly close to the .45 with a capacity closer to a 9mm. .40 isn't too bad. It is cheaper than a .45 unless you're getting old milsurp (I think), but more expensive than a 9mm. I would take a 9mm if you are wanting cheap ammo and the .45 if you want a proven man stopper, but all three will kill. Personally, I have been looking at getting a 1911 in .357 sig (basically a necked down .40).