• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

i am 19 need advice on oc

ar-15man

I am 19 and need some advice on open carry kinda worried about being harrased by cops I am aware of the laws and were I can and cannot carry have two full sized hadguns gifted to me by father a Sig 1911 and glock 22 also what kind of holster would look more professional to prevent being harrased would like to hear any advice you have about of thanks a lot

nkyOC

Hey ar15. I am also very new to the open carry life. Ive been carrying since Feb 1 of this year my 21st b-day and I have been all over the Northern Kentucky area with my full size M&P 40 on my right hip and not one problem. The only advice that I can really give with the little experience that I have with the LEO's in my area is when you are per say in a convienent store as I was when I walked into the store and at checkout there was 2 LEO's standing there talking to one another I thought OH crap here we go. But they looked over seen the firearm on my side we nodded to one another and I went on with my business like as I would have if I didnt have a firearm on my person. So the main thing that I am trying to get at is know where you can and cant carry, and the biggest in my eyes is when you re carrying is not to be nervous when there is a LEO within close proximity and also to be clear with your surroundings and act as you would if you didnt have the pistol on your person MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE LAW AND YOUR RIGHTS tho. At first I was very wearry on wether or not I should carry into local bussiness, if i should keep one in the pipe, and after the first day of it being on my side as I went about my daily life I have became ALOT more comfortable with it being there and knowing that in my neck of the woods its okay to do so. For the holster Im not too positive on the 1911 but the glock I would have to reccommend the Blackhawk serpa holster. That is what I carry, its sleek looks perfesional, very versitile, and most important its very comfortable. Thats just my opinion tho :D. Hope this helps and puts you a little more at ease. Carry ON!!!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
They also make the Serpa for 1911s. They are good solid retention holsters.

Incidences of police harassing OCers is rare. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most of the cases that have been reported here ended negatively for the police and cities/towns involved. I have been OCing for 4 years and have yet to have any kind of police encounter. Look through older threads and you will find several on how to handle police encounters. As long as you know your rights an the applicable laws you should be just fine. Don't be afraid to stand your ground.

I personally recommend having the name and number of a dedicated (gun) lawyer memorized in the event you are arrested. If you are arrested, say nothing except to ask for your attorney.

ar-15man

They also make the Serpa for 1911s. They are good solid retention holsters.

Incidences of police harassing OCers is rare. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most of the cases that have been reported here ended negatively for the police and cities/towns involved. I have been OCing for 4 years and have yet to have any kind of police encounter. Look through older threads and you will find several on how to handle police encounters. As long as you know your rights an the applicable laws you should be just fine. Don't be afraid to stand your ground.

I personally recommend having the name and number of a dedicated (gun) lawyer memorized in the event you are arrested. If you are arrested, say nothing except to ask for your attorney.

Thanks everybody for the great info I'm gona do a little more research and then go for it

1245A Defender

well,,,

Sooo,,, Im gonna ask...
What State is Yadkinnville IN???? I didnt find it in kentuckey,where most of your replies are coming from.
What is the OC age limit in your state?

I note that you say you know the laws for carry, but Im just curious about stuff I read, when context is not clear...

Last edited:

cmr287

I am 19 and need some advice on open carry kinda worried about being harrased by cops I am aware of the laws and were I can and cannot carry have two full sized hadguns gifted to me by father a Sig 1911 and glock 22 also what kind of holster would look more professional to prevent being harrased would like to hear any advice you have about of thanks a lot

Hey ar15. I am also very new to the open carry life. Ive been carrying since Feb 1 of this year my 21st b-day and I have been all over the Northern Kentucky area with my full size M&P 40 on my right hip and not one problem. The only advice that I can really give with the little experience that I have with the LEO's in my area is when you are per say in a convienent store as I was when I walked into the store and at checkout there was 2 LEO's standing there talking to one another I thought OH crap here we go. But they looked over seen the firearm on my side we nodded to one another and I went on with my business like as I would have if I didnt have a firearm on my person. So the main thing that I am trying to get at is know where you can and cant carry, and the biggest in my eyes is when you re carrying is not to be nervous when there is a LEO within close proximity and also to be clear with your surroundings and act as you would if you didnt have the pistol on your person MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE LAW AND YOUR RIGHTS tho. At first I was very wearry on wether or not I should carry into local bussiness, if i should keep one in the pipe, and after the first day of it being on my side as I went about my daily life I have became ALOT more comfortable with it being there and knowing that in my neck of the woods its okay to do so. For the holster Im not too positive on the 1911 but the glock I would have to reccommend the Blackhawk serpa holster. That is what I carry, its sleek looks perfesional, very versitile, and most important its very comfortable. Thats just my opinion tho :D. Hope this helps and puts you a little more at ease. Carry ON!!!

KNOW YOUR LAWS... They are your BEST Friend.....................