• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Open Carry Flyers & Information Cards - STICKY

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

I love VISTA PRINT. (http://www.vistaprint.com). They print Free business cards for the asking.. and I ask then to do it alot.

When I open carry.. if anyone says something to me, it is usually..

1. Is that legal?
  2. Can I do it too?
  3. Do you have a license to carry?
  4. How OLD do you have to be to carry in VA?
  5. Can you carry a gun in your car
  6. Where can I get more info?
If not all these questions (or more).. sometime it is only one or two and they stop asking of I don't have time to answer. So.. I went I went to Vista Print and ordered some free cards to hand out when I carry. The first guy I gave them too loved them. A buddy that OC's asked for a small handful too. So.. I thought I should either share my own cards or at least the idea and see if others do anything similar.

If anyone wants a few of mine, just PM me your mailing address and I will send ya some. (They are just business card sized.. I enlarged here to show detail and for some old farts to see better) :)

Ed

ocinfocard.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

In Virginia - CHP holders are allowed to have guns on school grounds in their personal vehicles as long as they stay in the car and the gun remains concealed.
Yata hey

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
In Virginia - CHP holders are allowed to have guns on school grounds in their personal vehicles as long as they stay in the car and the gun remains concealed.
Yata hey
Yeah, but the very top line of the card says Virginia Open Carry Info... Can't open carry at a school...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Where did you get the background design? I could not find it among their selections.

stay safe.

skidmark

ed

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Yata hey
Yeah, but the very top line of the card says Virginia Open Carry Info... Can't open carry at a school...

True.. and it is no-way all inclusive.. it was just a starting point.. to refer others to OPENCARRY.ORG and VCDL.ORG and give them a few basics.. Maybe I will change them as folks give me suggestions for next time.

Thanks,

ed

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Where did you get the background design? I could not find it among their selections.

stay safe.

skidmark

Here is a little tirck I found. If you go to www.vistaprint.com then regualar cards are free and premium are like 19.99. If you go to www.vistaprint.com/special then the premium are free too! One you are in the premium section search for keyword GUN.

Sometimes they change available designs.. If you can't find it.. I could screen capture a clear shot of mine and you could upload it as a background.

Ed

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ed wrote:
skidmark wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark

Here is a little tirck I found. If you go to http://www.vistaprint.com then regualar cards are free and premium are like 19.99. If you go to http://www.vistaprint.com/special then the premium are free too! One you are in the premium section search for keyword GUN.

Sometimes they change available designs.. If you can't find it.. I could screen capture a clear shot of mine and you could upload it as a background.

Ed
IMHO this is not quite so free as they charge a very high rate for shipping.

Choose Desired Processing and Delivery Speed** Slow: 21 Days - $5.45 Standard: 14 Days - $9.15 Priority: 7 Days - $13.15 Rush+: 3 Business Days - $25.19

Yata hey

Thundar

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Yata hey

Of course you can open carry at a school. You just can't open carry handguns. Long guns must be open carried at school ina vehiclerifle rack. Concealing long guns (with exceptions for homeowners/ business owners/ hunters in inclement weather) is a no-no whether on or off of school property.

The card is nice, but I like the detail of the VCDL tri fold card better.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thundar wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Yata hey

Of course you can open carry at a school. You just can't open carry handguns. Long guns must be open carried at school ina vehiclerifle rack. Concealing long guns (with exceptions for homeowners/ business owners/ hunters in inclement weather) is a no-no whether on or off of school property.

Bull... You can certainly have a long gun locked in your trunk at a school. A gun in a gun rack isn't 'carried' at all. Try carrying a long gun on your person at a school...

The card is nice, but I like the detail of the VCDL tri fold card better.
Are you talking about the small yellow cards, or the tri-fold full-size page found here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum61/3356.html

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ed wrote:
Are you talking about the small yellow cards
What are those?
VCDL has some yellow, card-stock, copies of the information you see in The Defender on pages 5-6. They have them available at gun-show tables, and sometimes at meetings. You might be able to get some at the RIchmond meeting on the 29th; I don't know for sure.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Yata hey

I can....in Utah:celebrate

TJ

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:

TJ
As we all should be able to do everywhere! I mean really - if it only saves one child.

There is a reduction in the fear of a BG coming into a school when there are numerous pro-defense persons potentially there. Safety is not acquired by banning anything but rather by having the available means to defend.

Yata hey

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:

TJ
As we all should be able to do everywhere! I mean really - if it only saves one child.

There is a reduction in the fear of a BG coming into a school when there are numerous pro-defense persons potentially there. Safety is not acquired by banning anything but rather by having the available means to defend.

Yata hey
Grapeshot, I agree with you 100%

ed

imported post

I gave someone the card today and they asked me.. 18 to open carry a handgun in VA? I said "yep!". They then said they thought it was 21 and that federally it says you have to be 21 and that would override any state statute. I looked at http://opencarry.org/va.html and it too says 18.. Is this again one of those things that if it doesnt say you CAN'T then you can? Or is there an official answer somewhere buried in code?

Thanks,

Ed

ed

imported post

nevermind.. found it.

§ 18.2-308.7. Possession or transportation of certain firearms by persons under the age of 18; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person under 18 years of age to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm anywhere in the Commonwealth. For the purposes of this section, "handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm originally designed, made and intended to fire single or multiple projectiles by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand and "assault firearm" means any (i) semi-automatic centerfire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (ii) shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered. A violation of this section shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor.
This section shall not apply to:
1. Any person (i) while in his home or on his property; (ii) while in the home or on the property of his parent, grandparent, or legal guardian; or (iii) while on the property of another who has provided prior permission, and with the prior permission of his parent or legal guardian if the person has the landowner's written permission on his person while on such property;
2. Any person who, while accompanied by an adult, is at, or going to and from, a lawful shooting range or firearms educational class, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported;
3. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or going to and from a hunting area or preserve, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported; and
4. Any person while carrying out his duties in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard of this Commonwealth or any other state.
(1993, cc. 467, 494; 2003, c. 976; 2004, c. 995.)

UTOC-45-44

imported post

§ 18.2-308.7. Possession or transportation of certain firearms by persons under the age of 18; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person under 18 years of age to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm anywhere in the Commonwealth. For the purposes of this section, "handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm originally designed, made and intended to fire single or multiple projectiles by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand and "assault firearm" means any (i) semi-automatic centerfire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (ii) shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered. A violation of this section shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor.
This section shall not apply to:
1. Any person (i) while in his home or on his property; (ii) while in the home or on the property of his parent, grandparent, or legal guardian; or (iii) while on the property of another who has provided prior permission, and with the prior permission of his parent or legal guardian if the person has the landowner's written permission on his person while on such property;
2. Any person who, while accompanied by an adult, is at, or going to and from, a lawful shooting range or firearms educational class, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported;
3. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or going to and from a hunting area or preserve, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported; and
4. Any person while carrying out his duties in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard of this Commonwealth or any other state.
(1993, cc. 467, 494; 2003, c. 976; 2004, c. 995.)

TJ