• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Open Carry Flyers & Information Cards - STICKY

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Need to correct state parks as well, per the direction of the Governor. Even if the regulation remains, perhaps a notation regarding the direction not to enforce it and further direction to eliminate the regulation may be useful.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Need to correct state parks as well, per the direction of the Governor. Even if the regulation remains, perhaps a notation regarding the direction not to enforce it and further direction to eliminate the regulation may be useful.

Problem that I see with these directives is they leave it to the courts as to whether to proceed or not - you have to 1st violate the law. Right now the atmosphere is good, tmorrow who knows. This is why we need full state preemption, including agencies.

MSC 45ACP

Problem that I see with these directives is they leave it to the courts as to whether to proceed or not - you have to 1st violate the law. Right now the atmosphere is good, tmorrow who knows. This is why we need full state preemption, including agencies.

Gee Whiz, Grapeshot... Why would you want to go and do that for?
It makes too much SENSE!
{Said Wally to "The Beaver"}

Glock214

OC/CC for a non resident

I am going to be visiting VA here in the next month or so, and I do have a Michigan CPL (Concealed Pistol License). I have browsed your forum to see some information in regards to OC/CC however have yet to see anything mentioned about OC'ing for non-resident of the state of VA. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance.

Glock214

Carry On!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am going to be visiting VA here in the next month or so, and I do have a Michigan CPL (Concealed Pistol License). I have browsed your forum to see some information in regards to OC/CC however have yet to see anything mentioned about OC'ing for non-resident of the state of VA. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance.

Glock214

Carry On!!!

Unless a person is otherwise restrictedl to carry, OC is legal for them - no permit required and state of residency is not an issue.

OC is legal in VA. because there is no law against it.

This and other general questions about OC in various states including VA answered here.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Corrected the State Forest entry and sticked the thread.

How did you do that?

Presume you mean how did I accomplish the line through/strike out.

After the word you wish to strike enter [/strike]
Precede the word you wish to strike out with [strike]

Had to describe it backwards to retain the keystroke instructions.

Sample: [strike]strike through this[/strike]

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Sample: [strike]strike through this[/strike]
No.. how did you sticky the thread?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Sample: strike through this

No.. how did you sticky the thread?

I click this button O Stick Thread - Administrative function.

For others not so authorized, they may make a request. Why do you ask?

Dreamer

Grapeshot already answered your question, but I'd like to expand on it somewhat. I do not know of a SINGLE state where OC is allowed that it restricts it to residents only.

The WV State Police have tried to tell people that OC is only allowed for residents, but like VA, there is no law that says that.

When OC is legal in a state, it is legal to EVERYONE with a few tiny isolated exceptions. Philadelphia is one such "trouble area". In PA, OC is a RIGHT, an requires no permit, but in Philly, you must hav a valid carry permit (either from PA or from a state that has reiprocity with PA).

But in VA, OC is OK for EVERYONE (who is not "prohibited).

carsontech

Activist Member
I updated the VA Gun Rights Pamphlet again. In the previous version, in the "States that honor Virginia’s CHP" section, the verbiage came across that residents and non residents could carry concealed in WY, without a permit. I fixed that in this version.

EDIT - Thanks for TFred for letting me know that NM is no longer recognizing VA permits... I updated the links below to show that:

Hers a link to the server that hosts the file.

EDIT - Updated again on 9/8/2012.

http://carsontech.webs.com/Gun%20Laws/VA%20Gun%20Rights%20Pamplet%209-8-2012.pdf

I also uploaded the file to this post:

Attachments

• VA Gun Rights Pamplet 9-8-2012.pdf
    227.6 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

TFred

I updated the VA Gun Rights Pamphlet again. In the previous version, in the "States that honor Virginia’s CHP" section, the verbiage came across that residents and non residents could carry concealed in WY, without a permit. I fixed that in this version.

Hers a link to the server that hosts the file.

http://carsontech.webs.com/VA%20Gun%20Rights%20Pamphlet%20-%20Updated%203-24-2012%209-02AM.pdf

I also uploaded the file to this post:
I hate to rain on your parade, it is a valuable service you provide with these updates, for which we are all grateful... however, you should probably try to pay closer attention to the VA-ALERT newsletters if you are going to be responsible for keeping the content of the pamphlet up to date:

This alert was mailed out on Thursday evening:

http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/vadetail.html?RECID=3902689&FILTER=

:)

TFred

carsontech

Activist Member
You should probably try to pay closer attention to the VA-ALERT newsletters if you are going to be responsible for keeping the content of the pamphlet up to date:

I just signed up for the VA-ALLERT newsletter, that should help me out, lol. Now I see why the original creators of these pamphlets don't update them very often. There's allways something changing in VA. :D

I'll go through and double-check with my resources to make sure everything else in these pamphlets are up to date.

EDIT - I Updated my previous post with the latest pamphlet. Thanks to TFred for the info about NM.

Last edited:

TFred

I just signed up for the VA-ALLERT newsletter, that should help me out, lol. Now I see why the original creators of these pamphlets don't update them very often. There's allways something changing in VA. :D

I'll go through and double-check with my resources to make sure everything else in these pamphlets are up to date.
Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate the effort. You were unlucky! But you are right, nothing stays the same with regard to gun laws very long, that's for sure! :)

TFred

B. Reddy

I have thousands of 2012 cards available.. Yours for the asking..

ED- thanks for the speedy delivery of the 2012 cards!

Would you ever consider a version with a larger typeface, maybe double the size cardstock, fold-able so they still retain their pocket size, but have four sides to spread all those beautiful citations and websites across?

I hope this doesn't come across as sounding like I'm asking you to quit your day job and go into the printing biz.

Of course, I'd gladly make double the donation or ask for half the regular-size number shipped per envelope.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
ED- thanks for the speedy delivery of the 2012 cards!

Would you ever consider a version with a larger typeface, maybe double the size cardstock, fold-able so they still retain their pocket size, but have four sides to spread all those beautiful citations and websites across?

I hope this doesn't come across as sounding like I'm asking you to quit your day job and go into the printing biz.

Of course, I'd gladly make double the donation or ask for half the regular-size number shipped per envelope.

VCDL already makes a larger version.. I have found they can be read but "hardly" anyone I know carry them. I am sure a few do.. but I have found people REALLY want to carry business card size. Here is how you make the print bigger.. 1. Join VCDL, 2. get all your family and friends to join VCDL. 3. Come to lobby day. 4. Anytime an ALERT comes out to write your delegate and senator, do it.. right away. 5. Help pass the bills that VCDL puts on the GA agenda and make some of the dumb laws go away.. then they will be removed from the card and make room for the existing laws to be printed in larger text. :p

B. Reddy

VCDL already makes a larger version.. I have found they can be read but "hardly" anyone I know carry them. I am sure a few do.. but I have found people REALLY want to carry business card size. Here is how you make the print bigger.. 1. Join VCDL, 2. get all your family and friends to join VCDL. 3. Come to lobby day. 4. Anytime an ALERT comes out to write your delegate and senator, do it.. right away. 5. Help pass the bills that VCDL puts on the GA agenda and make some of the dumb laws go away.. then they will be removed from the card and make room for the existing laws to be printed in larger text. :p

Gotcha. Already took care of numbers 1, 4, and 5.