• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is considered concealed

eamelhorn

Open carry in WV is visable from 3 sides, soif you are CC can the gun be seen at all or would it be anything that is visable under that, say from front only, or side?? Im kinda new and trying to learn all I can.

Dreamer

The "visible from three sides requirement" is an urban myth. It does not exist ANYWHERE in law, statute, code or ordinance.

It is an "interpretation" published by the Attorney General, but it is NOT the AG's own interpretation. It comes from the fevered minds of some rogue WV State Troopers--who have no authority or legal right to establish legal interpretations.

Open Carry is any form of carry that does not attempt to conceal the true nature or location of a firearm. On your hip, in a holster, in plain view, without any clothing obscuring it is Open Carry, regardless of which side of your body the cop who is looking at you is on.

If there were any legal authority to the "visible from three sides" argument, the ONLY place you could legally OC in West Virginia would be on top of your head, which is absurd...

Carry in a holster, on your hip, and just be SURE that your clothing does not every, in any way, obscure or even partially cover your gun.

Or, you could get a CC permit, and then it doesn't matter how or where you carry your firearm on your body...

AS far as CCing, there is no statute that prohibits "printing" in WV, so as long as you are making a reasonable attempt to conceal, and have a permit, you are OK. Just don't be stupid.

Wear appropriate clothing. Get a quality CC holster that fits your gun AND your body and is comfortable. Wear appropriate cover clothing--loose shirts, a jacket, etc. And if you are going to carry IWB, buy pants that are one size too big, or else it won't be comfortable, and your pants won't fit right and will look weird.

Look at yourself in a mirror. Have a friend look at you. IF you can INSTANTLY tell you are CCing, you're doing it wrong.

It really IS that simple...

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

The "visible from three sides requirement" is an urban myth. It does not exist ANYWHERE in law, statute, code or ordinance.

It is an "interpretation" published by the Attorney General, but it is NOT the AG's own interpretation. It comes from the fevered minds of some rogue WV State Troopers--who have no authority or legal right to establish legal interpretations.

Open Carry is any form of carry that does not attempt to conceal the true nature or location of a firearm. On your hip, in a holster, in plain view, without any clothing obscuring it is Open Carry, regardless of which side of your body the cop who is looking at you is on.

If there were any legal authority to the "visible from three sides" argument, the ONLY place you could legally OC in West Virginia would be on top of your head, which is absurd...

Carry in a holster, on your hip, and just be SURE that your clothing does not every, in any way, obscure or even partially cover your gun.

Or, you could get a CC permit, and then it doesn't matter how or where you carry your firearm on your body...

AS far as CCing, there is no statute that prohibits "printing" in WV, so as long as you are making a reasonable attempt to conceal, and have a permit, you are OK. Just don't be stupid.

Wear appropriate clothing. Get a quality CC holster that fits your gun AND your body and is comfortable. Wear appropriate cover clothing--loose shirts, a jacket, etc. And if you are going to carry IWB, buy pants that are one size too big, or else it won't be comfortable, and your pants won't fit right and will look weird.

Look at yourself in a mirror. Have a friend look at you. IF you can INSTANTLY tell you are CCing, you're doing it wrong.

It really IS that simple...

^That.

eamelhorn

thank you for your answer, i have read so much in the last 2 weeks it has ran togather, my son, brother n law and myself were going take the CC class saturday but my wife ended up in the hospital I had to go pick her up, (she is ok but has lots of health issues) my son and bro n law got thiers and im set up for the next class.

PS I think it was on a WV State police site i read that, like I said its kinda running togather. I want to know the laws WELL

Dreamer

thank you for your answer, i have read so much in the last 2 weeks it has ran togather, my son, brother n law and myself were going take the CC class saturday but my wife ended up in the hospital I had to go pick her up, (she is ok but has lots of health issues) my son and bro n law got thiers and im set up for the next class.

PS I think it was on a WV State police site i read that, like I said its kinda running togather. I want to know the laws WELL

Knowing the law about OC in WV is easy--there are almost NO LAWS restricting Open Carry. The only things you have to know is that there are certain places you can't carry IN ANY CONFIGURATION, like the Capital Grounds, and some other places.

There is NO PERMIT or LICENSE requirement for OC.

There is no residency requirement.

A person only need be legally in possession of a firearm to open carry it.

IF there are no laws prohibiting an activity, it is, BY DEFINITION, legal and lawful. End of discussion...

And having a CC permit doesn't change your legal status for OC. It does NOT mean you have to notify if you are stopped on the street--OC is in plain sight, and the CC laws ONLY apply to CC.

Having a CC permit does not mean you can't OC any more than having a drivers license would mean you can't ride a bicycle...

Good luck.

MilProGuy

Open carry in WV is visable from 3 sides, soif you are CC can the gun be seen at all or would it be anything that is visable under that, say from front only, or side?? Im kinda new and trying to learn all I can.

Concealed carry means that the handgun is not visible to others you may encounter.

eamelhorn

I have learned LEO's dont know thier butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to gun laws, or they are just liers. The sporting goods store where we do most of our business has 2 LEO's that work in the gun department, a man I went to school with works in the gun department and we have talked much on CC and OC, while the LEO's listen. My friend that works there almost always replie's thats what they say motioning to the LEO's, and we have been educating my friend as well as we can.

We have purchased 4 guns there in the last 4 months,3 pistols and a youth 7mm08 For my wife to deer hunt with, you would think they would be more forth coming to a regular coustomer. If things have not changed by my next visit I will find a new sporting goods store.