• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nevada to AZ open carry

Hardwater

This might have been answered but I can't find it and since the laws changed I just have a quick question.

I go to Kingman Wash to fish and I want to OC because we have been harrassed by people and wildlife from time to time and just feel more secure carrying with some of the hooligans that go down there on the weekends.

My only question is can I legally OC from Nevada to AZ. I've always had a pretty lax time OCing in the Henderson area and I know that the parks changed there laws to follow state laws and I just don't want to get into a who knows more law argument with a LEO or Ranger.

Before I wouldn't open carry to AZ because I didn't want to get harrassed going through the checkpoint over the Dam with the family on board but now that I am getting older I am more and more inclined to stand up for my rights. From what I recall also doesn't AZ allow any registered firearm owner to CC?

Thanks for any heads up info.

Jay

wrightme

This might have been answered but I can't find it and since the laws changed I just have a quick question.

I go to Kingman Wash to fish and I want to OC because we have been harrassed by people and wildlife from time to time and just feel more secure carrying with some of the hooligans that go down there on the weekends.

My only question is can I legally OC from Nevada to AZ. I've always had a pretty lax time OCing in the Henderson area and I know that the parks changed there laws to follow state laws and I just don't want to get into a who knows more law argument with a LEO or Ranger.

Before I wouldn't open carry to AZ because I didn't want to get harrassed going through the checkpoint over the Dam with the family on board but now that I am getting older I am more and more inclined to stand up for my rights. From what I recall also doesn't AZ allow any registered firearm owner to CC?

Thanks for any heads up info.

Jay

?? AFAIK, AZ is Constitutional Carry for those legally able to own and carry pistols. Thus, you should be able to either OC or CC in AZ. But, that is a good question to ask in the AZ area. But, I think DVC may be able to give you good gouge on AZ.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I regularly travel through AZ.

You have nothing to worry about.

Not only will you be perfectly legal in both states, including the Recreational Area, but there is no more checkpoint of power-inflated rent-a-cops at the dam because the bridge takes you right over with no stops.

AZ has no firearms registration, nor are permits required for any kind of carry.

Last edited:

28kfps

Last year two different times, I rode my motorcycle to AZ through the checkpoint with my firearm on their side open and never a word. Kingman Wash if I am thinking of the correct place drops right down to the AZ side of Lake Mead if so you are in the Lake Mead National Recreation area and open carry is legal just cannot carry into any buildings and I know there is no buildings in that area.

Hardwater

Thanks

Thanks for the Replies,

I've read up some on AZ and NV laws regarding this since moving to NV a year ago. But online I've read a few conflicting statements regarding AZ and concealing. Even though at my spot I would be Ocing it's nice to know the CC laws. The laws I read regarding AZ CC is that it is completely legal to CC in AZ but there are some perks and benefits to having a permit in AZ but none was stated. Also it says that if a LEO requests to see your permit then you need to furnish one. Also if I recall it stated that in order to CC in AZ that you need to carry the permit with you.

I also have some issues with some other posts I read because I read that if you are CC or OCing in Nevada that you need to have your blue card on you. Now I know this might be beating a dead horse and there have been many a conversations regarding that but I was under the impression that it is not Law to carry your blue card and that if approached by a LEO you do not need to show one even under request. It would more or less make things a little "easier" on you during the encounter.

Thanks for the help.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
AZ will give a CCW permit if you apply. This is for using it in other states that will recognize it. You do NOT need one while in the Great State of Arizona. I suppose the permit will also exempt you from the Federal gun-free school zones law, though I do not know of this being enforced against decent people anyway.

You do not need a blue card in NV. Only the southern county of Clark (where Las Vegas is) requires handgun registration. The "blue card" is the receipt of this registration. It does NOT need to be kept or carried with you. But if and only if you are a RESIDENT of Clark County, you must have registered your handgun. At least until we get the law changed, and we are slowly making progress on that from what I hear.

If a nonresident of Clark County, you can OC in NV (or CC on a recognized permit) and you do not register your handgun for your visit.

Last edited:

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Arizona has Constitutional Carry for all persons who can possess firearms.

Arizona offers a CCW permit for the convenience of people traveling in other states -- the requirements for obtaining that permit have not changed -- but you don't need it while in the Land of AZ. The requirement to show it when asked is a leftover from before Constitutional Carry, and is not enforced WITHIN THE STATE -- in any other state, where that you rely on the permit, you are required to have it, because that is part of the CCW law.

There are places where you are not allowed to carry, period. These include most government buildings (I would say all but haven't reviewed the law lately), "establishments" which serve alcohol by the single serving (again, haven't reviewed it lately, but I think this specifies "spirits," rather than wine and beer) and any private property or business which has the legally-designated "no guns" sign.

If I were going to carry in any other state, I would make sure that I understand the laws which apply. Nevada is, in some ways, more free than Arizona.

Hardwater

Wierd

It seems weird to me that AZ would allow anyone to CC and possibly drink wine or beer up to X.XX limit but not allow spirits which would in turn disallow you to carry in probably 90% of places where beer and wine are sold.

NV, other then the CC law which requires you to apply and take the class in some ways seems a little friendlier to our rights. Isn't it true in NV that you can carry your firearm and drink beer or liquor up to .10 BAC?

Also I haven't been able to find the difference in laws between Boulder City and say Henderson or LV in regards to purchasing or carrying but heard the laws were slightly different.

Hardwater

Also

Also can someone clarify what exactly the law states regarding OCing in the Lake Mead Park. Specifically down at the marina, on my own boaton lakeshore drive, or while fishing at hole 33 or wherever down there.

Thats another place I keep reading conflicting reports because it is a "National" Park or you need a CCW there. I also heard though that not to long ago the law changed and now you can OC in the park.

Thanks for any help. And while the search button brings up alot of info it also brings up alot of old info.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Except for the Clark County handgun registration, state law preempts the old laws that a few cities had, and they are no longer enforced, though I still hear about hassles in North Las Vegas, a separate city with a power-hungry reputation.

You are correct that State Law does not prohibit possession of a firearm with less than .10 BAC.

The National Recreation Area now follows state law. You can OC with or without a CCW permit. I've not heard of any hassles.* I also don't know if Marinas are some form of private property. Anyone know that one? I'll try to look it up later.

*not counting the time we were detained under gunpoint for an hour by park rangers there because a trash collector THOUGHT she saw a holstered handgun on my friend's belt and called them. It turns out she saw his large sheathed knife. I can't make that up. Of course, this was before the law changed. Had he actually been carrying then, it would have been breaking the law.

Last edited:

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
For those reasons, I'm confused why AZ is referred to as a "Constitutional Carry" state? Did AZ have a big shift in legislation that made it A LOT better? What I mean is; was it such a large change that the "Big Win" made it feel like there is CC in AZ now (even though infringements still exist)?

Oh yeah!

In 1990, there was NO concealed carry in the state, except for cops. The Legislature passed the CCW permit scheme to kill the Defense Rights Initiative (which would have eliminated the CCW ban).

20 years later, they eliminated the requirement for a permit to CCW.

That's MAJOR change, and a HUGE win.

The ban on carrying onto private property against the owner's wishes is certainly constitutional. Other improvements are in the works now, building on the 2010 win.

The law against carrying in bars goes back decades, and simply hasn't been addressed yet. It's a low priority compared to some of the other things that the AZ guys are working on.

I predict that within a decade AZ and NV will both have adopted the better parts of each others' laws. Each state operates as a laboratory for the other.

Last edited: