• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spidey senses tingling outside of Narrows Plaza bowling alley

decklin

Sometimes crap just happens to some people more than others.

I have been in car accidents as a passenger several times. And the majority of those were not the driver's fault. There have been some that have never been in a fender bender.

Me I prefer to look at the best in people until "proven" other wise. And assertions, allegations and pure guessing don't cut it for me. But that's just me I love people and think the best of them. Of course I'm a bit Polyanna....lol...:lol:

+1
I've never been in a car accident but I have a buddy who has been rear ended at a red light on three different occasions.
I did two tours as an Infantryman in Iraq and only got blown up once. (VBIED) I know guys who were blown up multiple times in a single tour.
I have only had to draw my personal weapon one time when I was 19 (this was seven years ago in NH) While somebody else might have several occurences.
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. If you were not there then who are you to call somebody a liar?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
This again begs the question why you gain all this attention and others like myself have had virtually zero confrontations, etc???

My opinion would be embellishment or seeking confrontation.

I have been in car accidents as a passenger several times. And the majority of those were not the driver's fault. There have been some that have never been in a fender bender.

Me I prefer to look at the best in people until "proven" other wise. And assertions, allegations and pure guessing don't cut it for me. But that's just me I love people and think the best of them. Of course I'm a bit Polyanna....lol...:lol:

+1
I've never been in a car accident but I have a buddy who has been rear ended at a red light on three different occasions.
I did two tours as an Infantryman in Iraq and only got blown up once. (VBIED) I know guys who were blown up multiple times in a single tour.
I have only had to draw my personal weapon one time when I was 19 (this was seven years ago in NH) While somebody else might have several occurences.
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. If you were not there then who are you to call somebody a liar?

Where did I call someone a liar?

I could of been rear ended a dozen times in my life, but I pay attention to what is going on behind me and have avoided such collisions. (FYI 27 years driving and no accidents, but 9 speeding tickets) Personal choice. Your situational awareness in Iraq versus guys you know avoided multiple occurrences of being blown up. Good job and personal choice. (Although a war zone is substantially different because people are trying to injure you). I too have only had to draw my firearm once and it's because of my SI and I bet it is because of yours too, we both avoid situations/areas that lead to that action.

The benefit of the doubt is given until proven otherwise, and if you read through the attached threads started by SemperCarry, the beginnings of being proven otherwise lay within those threads.

1245A Defender

well,,,

not You gogo,
1st, semper felt that big dave thinks all his stories have LIES in them.
then deklin quotes sudden and says,,, if you werent there, how can you say he is a lier,
it seems he is talking to sudden, but i think he is refering to bigdave.
To his credit, bigdave never said lier! He did imply that sempers stories are untruthful, but
bigdave was never there so it is wrong to imply too forcefully that someone is being untruthful!
I dont think I understand How you managed to feel that you had been accused of calling anybody a lier.

BTW,,, I enjoyed sempers story, and I feel that by telling us here, we all have a learning oppertunity,
besides the fact that it was well told and enjable to read.

P.S. bigdaves variation on the theme was also fun to read.
steveinashland just posted a story in true tales forum that was also enjoyable, and a learning time we all could use.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
decklin go read the links and through the threads I posted before and it is clear the story telling is just that story telling by someone in desperate need of attention.
Look at the B&I thread, oh wait he erased his post in that one! hmmm where he said that armed security at the B&I tried to disarm him and he spun around and got to his car and speed off through the parking lot at dusk with out his lights on. After I called B&I and talked with management they assured me they have never hired armed security and their security are unarmed.

So how valuable are stories that are made up to discuss and work through, none in my book as I do not read the comics since I was kid.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
For the nay sayers I was supportive of sempercarry as seen here in one of the first incidents I read about his encounters and then it fell quick as soon as his stories fell apart quickly.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...d-at-B-amp-I&p=1109406&viewfull=1#post1109406

Then here still some what supportive but talked about if it is serious enough to go for your weapon even if placing in on the gun in the holster warrants calling 911 otherwise it was not serious enough to take that action.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...d-at-B-amp-I&p=1110573&viewfull=1#post1110573

And then I made the call confirming if the security officers were armed or not and no they are not and they are not to put their hands on customers but do have hand held tasers. Oh and keep reading don't stop now.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...d-at-B-amp-I&p=1111317&viewfull=1#post1111317

Do we need to go on farther? as to "Almost shot a guy while 4X4ing today" Where if I am not mistaken was behind a business in the city limits where children were playing paint ball or air soft.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...e-4X4ing-today&p=921967&viewfull=1#post921967

Or how about trying to enter the Pierce County City Building armed?
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...nty-building&p=1022815&viewfull=1#post1022815

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

FMCDH

There is of course reserves and inactive reserves but he states Inactive Marine and in his post is implying he currently a sergeant in the marine corp a whole different animal.
The correct designation would be veteran or a reservist if no longer active duty.

So, hes using poor terminology. Its not unusual, the reservists I work around use the same phrasing.

"What are you when your active?"

and..

"What do you do when your inactive?"

Both questions I have used and hear a lot when speaking with reservists.

"Correct designation"...gezz you sound like a borg. :p

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
So, hes using poor terminology. Its not unusual, the reservists I work around use the same phrasing.
"What are you when your active?"
and..
"What do you do when your inactive?"
Both questions I have used and hear a lot when speaking with reservists.
"Correct designation"...gezz you sound like a borg. :p

Using poor terminology in the military is sloppy and not tolerated by staff as they are trained to be clear and precise.
Active Military means you are 24/7/365, Inactive Reserve is where you can be called back to active duty and Reservist are often called weekend warriors as they serve a weekend a month and normally 2 weeks per year training unless when they get called up to serve 24/7 for an extended period of time as was in Iraq and Afghanistan.

MilProGuy

Back to the topic at hand, thanks to the OP for sharing this unnerving experience with us.

It just goes to show that "situational awareness" is of paramount importance to our survival in this ever-changing world in which we live.

sudden valley gunner

This again begs the question why you gain all this attention and others like myself have had virtually zero confrontations, etc???

My opinion would be embellishment or seeking confrontation.

The highlighted is what I was replying to.

Where did I call someone a liar?

I could of been rear ended a dozen times in my life, but I pay attention to what is going on behind me and have avoided such collisions. (FYI 27 years driving and no accidents, but 9 speeding tickets) Personal choice. Your situational awareness in Iraq versus guys you know avoided multiple occurrences of being blown up. Good job and personal choice. (Although a war zone is substantially different because people are trying to injure you). I too have only had to draw my firearm once and it's because of my SI and I bet it is because of yours too, we both avoid situations/areas that lead to that action.

The benefit of the doubt is given until proven otherwise, and if you read through the attached threads started by SemperCarry, the beginnings of being proven otherwise lay within those threads.

No body called you a liar Defender hits the nail on the head. Nick you may be one of those guys that things don't happen to as often so you don't understand its that simple.

There are many cops who go to coffee shops and drink coffee I guess it was those 4 cops in Lakewoods fault that Clemens burst in and killed them? They were after all 'situationally unaware'.

Hey I haven't had a speeding ticket in years, can you say the same? I bet our driving habits might be similar is it because you are drawing attention to youself?

Now none of this is meant as a personal attack just an attempt to show things from someone else's perspective. And to realize that many people lead their live's in a much more relaxed manner not constantly on edge and in a state of constant situational awareness. This doesn't mean they are less of a person and in my experience they often enjoy life more.

not You gogo,
1st, semper felt that big dave thinks all his stories have LIES in them.
then deklin quotes sudden and says,,, if you werent there, how can you say he is a lier,
it seems he is talking to sudden, but i think he is refering to bigdave.
To his credit, bigdave never said lier! He did imply that sempers stories are untruthful, but
bigdave was never there so it is wrong to imply too forcefully that someone is being untruthful!
I dont think I understand How you managed to feel that you had been accused of calling anybody a lier.

BTW,,, I enjoyed sempers story, and I feel that by telling us here, we all have a learning oppertunity,
besides the fact that it was well told and enjable to read.

P.S. bigdaves variation on the theme was also fun to read.
steveinashland just posted a story in true tales forum that was also enjoyable, and a learning time we all could use.

Spot on Bob.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
The highlighted is what I was replying to.

No body called you a liar Defender hits the nail on the head. Nick you may be one of those guys that things don't happen to as often so you don't understand its that simple.

There are many cops who go to coffee shops and drink coffee I guess it was those 4 cops in Lakewoods fault that Clemens burst in and killed them? They were after all 'situationally unaware'.

Hey I haven't had a speeding ticket in years, can you say the same? I bet our driving habits might be similar is it because you are drawing attention to youself?

Now none of this is meant as a personal attack just an attempt to show things from someone else's perspective. And to realize that many people lead their live's in a much more relaxed manner not constantly on edge and in a state of constant situational awareness. This doesn't mean they are less of a person and in my experience they often enjoy life more.

Spot on Bob.

Roger that, I may have been reading on my phone and got the sequence out of order on the smaller screen.

As to the Lakewood officers, Rob, that is a silly analogy. Clemens was just plain evil. And officers choose their profession and know the risks.

I doubt are driving habits are similar, but let's say they are. Yes I am drawing attention to myself the way I drive. I have admitted that. Having taking professional racing lessons and having driven a sports car for more than a decade, I know that I have created the environment that I choose to drive in.

My point is that people make choices. Sometimes those choices are several steps before the incident, but they are still choices.

Metalhead47

Roger that, I may have been reading on my phone and got the sequence out of order on the smaller screen.

As to the Lakewood officers, Rob, that is a silly analogy. Clemens was just plain evil. And officers choose their profession and know the risks.

I doubt are driving habits are similar, but let's say they are. Yes I am drawing attention to myself the way I drive. I have admitted that. Having taking professional racing lessons and having driven a sports car for more than a decade, I know that I have created the environment that I choose to drive in.

My point is that people make choices. Sometimes those choices are several steps before the incident, but they are still choices.

If even you admit that your driving habits are problematic, why not just save yourself the hassle, keep the Mario Andretti fantasies for track days, and drive like a normal person on public streets shared by others?

sudden valley gunner

Well I used to drive like that, I just don't anymore and I rarely got tickets for speeding even when driving like that. And I used to drive a '65 red mustang. Man I miss that car. I also had racing bikes, and other cop magnet cars. When on my bike I must admit I still am tempted to open it up a bit. Yet not as bad as I used to as younger man.

I don't think the analogy is silly it may be one that makes people uncomfortable. My point was that crap happens, regardless of Clemens evilness. And those officers were not situationally aware should they have to be? No they shouldn't have but if they were they could have changed the outcome of what happened.

I agree choices can and do influence what happens but sometimes people have good luck and sometimes "time and unforeseen circumstances" happen more to others than some. And many people don't live their life like they are playing chess looking ahead several steps and trying to connect all possible dots, they just live.