• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some Walmarts refusing to sell ammo on 3rd shift.

Brian D.

Use the all-store intercom feature of the phone back there in sporting goods to page a manager to come help you, reminding them they'll need to bring the keys to the ammo cabinet. :D

Okay I did that a couple of times in the past and it worked but it will not make you popular with whichever manager comes to find you.

And yes I was easily able to google up just which buttons to press to make the phone do the all-store intercom trick.

Jack House

That's up to the store to decide, based on their cost-benefit analysis.

Should the Subway inside the Walmart also be forced to stay open 24 hours? After all, subs are legal, and the Walmart is open. And of course no 24 hour grocery store should be permitted to have a pharmacy which closes at 10 pm, right?
Subway isn't a Wal-Mart product. A better analogy would be the bakery, deli or the meat cutting department if your store has one. However, you would still be comparing apples and oranges. The deli, bakery, and meating cutting departments require specially trained employees and their paygrades reflect this. So unless you're in a market that has a high demand for late night products from one of those three departments, they just wont have people in them all night long. But anyone can fetch ammo from the lock ups. It doesn't require a sporting goods associate. Mostly because there are none anymore. All overnight employees are either stockers, cashiers, supervisors or managers.

Don't even get me started on dry hours, you're just going to get me ranting about how most people are retarded douchebags that can't comprehend the simple concept of different schedules.

While trying to sleep after a hard day at work, my precious rest time is interrupted by a phone call...
Me: Hello
Day Person: Hey what's up?
Me: Nothing, just trying to sleep.
DP: But it's 3pm!
Me: I'm tired! I've been up all night
DP: Ohhh, you're one of those unemployed lazy bastards.
Me: ***** I WILL ******* SHANK YOU!

Ahem...

Cite?

Handgun ammo sits right out on the open shelves at Gander Mtn, Academy, and Bass Pro.
Then perhaps I am wrong. I thought that all handgun ammo, with exception to that which can be used with rifles(mostly .22LR) had to be locked up, whereas rifle and shotgun ammo did not.

Ever notice how the fitting rooms are closed after 10pm? If you're lucky the craft section will be open after 10. It wouldn't surprise me to not have anyone manning sporting goods.
The fitting rooms are locked to prevent shoplifting, since there is no one to man the station. However, in most cases, if you ask, they will fetch the keys and let you try things on.

The only time when there is no one assigned to a department, is when the store is terribly short staffed and that department is considered low priority. What is a low priority and what is a high priority depends entirely upon the co-manager working that night, or the assistant manager if there is no co-manager working that night. From my experience, the only departments that actually close(as in roped off) when there is no one assigned, are electronics and photo. But YMMV, and it will. And even so, unless they are waxing that area, there should still be someone willing to assist you. If no one is willing to do so, then make a complaint with the store manager. More often than not, if they will fix the issue. If they do not, take it to the district manager. If you do not get a satisfactory response, take it to corporate. This is all politics, so treat it as such or don't expect your complaint to get anywhere. How much money they are losing by not letting you purchase ammo at a time that is most convenient to you, should work fairly well with a manager.

Their bonus is directly affected by your business(or lack thereof), and in stores that struggle for bonuses, they'll bend over backwards to get you to spend more money. Stores that are consistently hitting the maximum bonuses allowed, might not give a flying frak. This is where the district manager comes in handy. Not sure how things work on their end. Employees will receive bonuses before managers, and there may be times when the peons will get a bonus whereas the managers get notta. A lot of peons don't care about their bonuses. Their bonus will never exceed $2200 in a year. Manager bonuses are significantly higher. So they are far more likely to care about their bonus, since it will be a significant portion of their income.

Something to remember about bonuses, is that by not doing business, at best you simply wont have a positive impact. But take one of those surveys and rate the store poorly, it will take away from their bonus. So basically, not only are you not adding to the bonus, you're now effectively chiseling away at it. With enough negative feedback, they can lose most, if not all, of their bonus. For some store managers, that is over $100,000 you just cost them.

Knowledge is power. ;)

OC for ME

One of two choices are available to the shopper if the offending store does/will not accommodate you: 1) don't shop there, or 2) adjust your shopping times.

It does not matter what reason the store employee(s) gives, whether it be a pack of lies, or a pack of dang lies. If the store changes their policy due to your efforts, bonus, if not see, the two options above.

JeepSeller

One of two choices are available to the shopper if the offending store does/will not accommodate you: 1) don't shop there, or 2) adjust your shopping times.

It does not matter what reason the store employee(s) gives, whether it be a pack of lies, or a pack of dang lies. If the store changes their policy due to your efforts, bonus, if not see, the two options above.

I have to agree with this.

It's their store. It's their products to sell or to refuse to sell.

Remember, something we tend to either forget or ignore, WM is private property. I know that fact of life just bunches up a ton of shorts on these forums. But, the end result is, bunched shorts or not, no matter what you do or don't do, it's still their store.

I'm betting though, most of us will find that if we calm down, stop behaving like a spoiled brat stamping our feet because we can't have a pony, and go find the manager, the REAL manager, the store manager, and have a calm, rational discussion with him or her, explaining our schedule and why those hours are the best for us, we might find most managers (REAL managers) are willing to find a way to accommodate us.

If not, I'd say find another WalMart. ONE of them will help you I'd bet.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

Remember, something we tend to either forget or ignore, WM is private property. I know that fact of life just bunches up a ton of shorts on these forums. But, the end result is, bunched shorts or not, no matter what you do or don't do, it's still their store.

I'm betting though, most of us will find that if we calm down, stop behaving like a spoiled brat stamping our feet because we can't have a pony, and go find the manager, the REAL manager, the store manager, and have a calm, rational discussion with him or her, explaining our schedule and why those hours are the best for us, we might find most managers (REAL managers) are willing to find a way to accommodate us.

/thread

ALOC1911

These managers will not find a way to accomodate you. They will tell sorry that is the store policy. The fact is that it's not walmart's policy but rather someone at the store in question came up with this policy on their own. If there is no law preventing the sale of ammo after a certain hour, and there's not in AL but I can't speak for other states, then corporate headquarters will contact that store and advise them that they will sell ammo at whatever hour. This has been proven time and time again with OC in walmart. Some store's managers will try to tell you OC isn't allowed inside their store but when you call corporate headquarters they will tell you their policy is to abide whatever the state law in that state is pertaining to that particular issue. If you are in fact in a state that OC is legal in, they will then send a letter or call the manager at that store and advise of the policy and you will then be welcomed inside with your OCed gun. Ammo sales are no different. I know of one case where an OCer went into walmart OCing and tried to buy ammo. The clerk at the gun counter told him she couldn't seel him any ammo while he was in possession of a gun (he was trying to buy of a different caliber than the gun he was carrying but I'm sure she didn't know that). He asked for a manager and one came. The manager asked the clerk if the guy was threatening her in any way. When she replied no she was then advised to sell him the ammo he wanted.

JeepSeller

These managers will not find a way to accomodate you. They will tell sorry that is the store policy. The fact is that it's not walmart's policy but rather someone at the store in question came up with this policy on their own. If there is no law preventing the sale of ammo after a certain hour, and there's not in AL but I can't speak for other states, then corporate headquarters will contact that store and advise them that they will sell ammo at whatever hour. This has been proven time and time again with OC in walmart. Some store's managers will try to tell you OC isn't allowed inside their store but when you call corporate headquarters they will tell you their policy is to abide whatever the state law in that state is pertaining to that particular issue. If you are in fact in a state that OC is legal in, they will then send a letter or call the manager at that store and advise of the policy and you will then be welcomed inside with your OCed gun. Ammo sales are no different. I know of one case where an OCer went into walmart OCing and tried to buy ammo. The clerk at the gun counter told him she couldn't seel him any ammo while he was in possession of a gun (he was trying to buy of a different caliber than the gun he was carrying but I'm sure she didn't know that). He asked for a manager and one came. The manager asked the clerk if the guy was threatening her in any way. When she replied no she was then advised to sell him the ammo he wanted.

I'm not saying I particularly disagree. What I am saying is, you can stamp your feet all you like. It's THEIR store. They can sell you or not sell you whatever they choose during whatever hours they choose.

That's all.

I admit it's a monumental PITA. But, sitting around beating our chest about how we know better than them isn't going to get us any ammo at 4:00AM if they choose to refuse to sell it to us at 4:00AM.

It's their store.

I suppose my underlying point is that we really WANT WalMart to have the freedom to make that choice. Because, anything else, while good for buying ammo at 4:00AM, is bad for freedom all together.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I'm not saying I particularly disagree. What I am saying is, you can stamp your feet all you like. It's THEIR store. They can sell you or not sell you whatever they choose during whatever hours they choose.

That's all.

I admit it's a monumental PITA. But, sitting around beating our chest about how we know better than them isn't going to get us any ammo at 4:00AM if they choose to refuse to sell it to us at 4:00AM.

It's their store.

I suppose my underlying point is that we really WANT WalMart to have the freedom to make that choice. Because, anything else, while good for buying ammo at 4:00AM, is bad for freedom all together.

Exactly. Very well said, in its entirety.

WCrawford

I had a similar problem a couple years ago in Nashville, Tennessee. An email to corporate to complain about the refusal ended up solving the problem, after talking with the actual store manager (rather than the night manager).

Walmart does not have any policy that prohibits selling ammunition after a certain time. They did take exception (at the time) to stores not selling products that were perfectly legal to sell.

JeepSeller

I had a similar problem a couple years ago in Nashville, Tennessee. An email to corporate to complain about the refusal ended up solving the problem, after talking with the actual store manager (rather than the night manager).

Walmart does not have any policy that prohibits selling ammunition after a certain time. They did take exception (at the time) to stores not selling products that were perfectly legal to sell.

That's excellent! I'm certainly not saying we shouldn't bark up the tree. You just never know. Just saying that we should be careful what we wish for. I get the impression that some feel that since ammo is a legal product to buy and sell, that WM should somehow be forced by the law to sell it when we want.

That's a slippery slope none of us want.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
These managers will not find a way to accomodate you. They will tell sorry that is the store policy. The fact is that it's not walmart's policy but rather someone at the store in question came up with this policy on their own. If there is no law preventing the sale of ammo after a certain hour, and there's not in AL but I can't speak for other states, then corporate headquarters will contact that store and advise them that they will sell ammo at whatever hour. This has been proven time and time again with OC in walmart. Some store's managers will try to tell you OC isn't allowed inside their store but when you call corporate headquarters they will tell you their policy is to abide whatever the state law in that state is pertaining to that particular issue. If you are in fact in a state that OC is legal in, they will then send a letter or call the manager at that store and advise of the policy and you will then be welcomed inside with your OCed gun. Ammo sales are no different. I know of one case where an OCer went into walmart OCing and tried to buy ammo. The clerk at the gun counter told him she couldn't seel him any ammo while he was in possession of a gun (he was trying to buy of a different caliber than the gun he was carrying but I'm sure she didn't know that). He asked for a manager and one
came. The manager asked the clerk if the guy was threatening her in any way. When she replied no she was then advised to sell him the ammo he wanted.

Wal-mart has no official policy on firearms, and this is why you can carry in their stores if the law allows you to carry. however, walmart is a private business, and corporate gives management authority on a case by case basis to ask people to leave if they are wearing a firearm, or ban firearms in the store they control.

Others anD myself have emailed corporate on this issue, and we receive the same message back, saying exactly what I have just said above.

Redbaron007

Wal-mart has no official policy on firearms, and this is why you can carry in their stores if the law allows you to carry. however, walmart is a private business, and corporate gives management authority on a case by case basis to ask people to leave if they are wearing a firearm, or ban firearms in the store they control.

Others anD myself have emailed corporate on this issue, and we receive the same message back, saying exactly what I have just said above.

Actually, what they have emailed to me, is their 'policy' is to follow state/local laws. The discretion of the manager is if they interpret your actions to be disruptive, then they will request your departure. This is the out the manager has when asking a OCer to leave; you were causing a disruption! :banghead: They, the store manager, cannot ban firearms, unless the state/local laws allow it. WM policy is to 'follow' state/local laws and if the laws allow, they cannot prohibit. If they do, contact HQ; it will be corrected.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
That's excellent! I'm certainly not saying we shouldn't bark up the tree. You just never know. Just saying that we should be careful what we wish for. I get the impression that some feel that since ammo is a legal product to buy and sell, that WM should somehow be forced by the law to sell it when we want.

That's a slippery slope none of us want.

This is a straw man argument. Nobody in this thread has advocated for the government to force walmart to sell ammo 24/7. That would be ludicrous. What is being suggested is that when a corporate entity has underlings pulling policies out of their individual butts, that sometimes a complaint to the right person will correct the behavior of said underlings.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
This is a straw man argument. Nobody in this thread has advocated for the government to force walmart to sell ammo 24/7. That would be ludicrous. What is being suggested is that when a corporate entity has underlings pulling policies out of their individual butts, that sometimes a complaint to the right person will correct the behavior of said underlings.

Some folks seem to have had no success moving up the food chain. And yet they still want the issue "resolved". How do you suppose that would occur, in light of the fact that Walmart allows its managers to set whatever policies they please?

Daylen

Some folks seem to have had no success moving up the food chain. And yet they still want the issue "resolved". How do you suppose that would occur, in light of the fact that Walmart allows its managers to set whatever policies they please?

Some people need more skill or cojones when dealing with others especially walmart. I'd bet most of the time people who have no success simply didn't really try.

.40S&W

It also boils down to a simple fact that on certain shifts at WM there are not competent employees in the sporting goods department. I encountered this once when trying to buy some rounds to take to the range. The dude didn't know a .22LR from a 9mm. Slight exaggeration but you get my point.