• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some Walmarts refusing to sell ammo on 3rd shift.

ALOC1911

Don't know about OK, but here in MO, folks who represent a business (the employee) has the authority to ask anyone to leave. Does not mean that their boss gave them the authority, just that the law does not state differentiate between the 'almost manager' and the 'real manager'.

In AL it must be the owner or the person in legal control of said property to tresspass somebody. No regular employee can do that. Not even the head cashier at walmart can.

I'll just buy when the selling is going on.

Let's say it again real loud so everybody can hear you, Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KYGlockster

Activist Member
The point some here are trying to make is yes it's walmart's right to not sell ammo except during certain hrs but not the manager's right to make that a store policy when corp HQ says otherwise. In most cases all it takes is a call or email to corp HQ to get them to "say otherwise".

Walmart should just do away with all their managers then huh? If they can't do the job they was hired to do, "run the store how they think it's best," Then why have managers at all? They apparently have no authority to do anything unless it is alright with you, so why not let customers manage wal-mart stores?

ALOC1911

Mr glockster keep talking, You're becoming more dense by the second. Why walmart tells you one thing and people in AL another I can't say but have you ever thought about the fact that KY's laws are different from AL's and maybe that has something to do with it. They may not have a firearms policy for your state but just might for mine. As far as managers go, they are there to run the store according to corp HQ policy not make up whatever policy they want. They may be allowed to make policies to run the store a certain way but when a customer calls corp HQ and complains sometimes that manager's instore policy gets changed quickly. Too many members at ALOC have had it happen to them with their local walmart.

Last edited:

JeepSeller

The point some here are trying to make is yes it's walmart's right to not sell ammo except during certain hrs but not the manager's right to make that a store policy when corp HQ says otherwise. In most cases all it takes is a call or email to corp HQ to get them to "say otherwise".

And, what happens when you call/email corporate, they "say otherwise", you go back to your local WalMart and they STILL refuse to sell you ammo at 4:00AM?

I can tell you....

Nothing.

My point all along has been that I get the feeling by some of the reactions that there are those who feel, to certain degrees, that WalMart should somehow be forced to sell us ammo on our schedule.

My point has been that's dangerous thinking.

That's all. I've never said you can't ask WalMart to accommodate our wishes. I've even applauded reported successes. But, if you don't get your way, there's really nothing any of us can do about it.....it's their store.

ALOC1911

Walmart has no official policy!!

I've never said it was in print anywhere on their site. I've only said it's what people from ALOC have been told on the phone or in email from corp HQ.

I do not believe it's a Ky thing either, I'm fairly certain there is only one corporate headquarters, and it's who we all speak with.

You can believe the sky will be green today at 4pm if you want but that doesn't make it so does it. You can believe this though if you call walmart's corp HQ asking certain questions you will be given different answers depending on what state you're in because state laws do very from state to state and walmart must abide by the laws of the state the store is in.

I'm doing my best to get into contact with the president, and have him respond with an official letterhead, so I can paste it here and put this to rest.

You don't have to do that. It's already been done. There are several people at ALOC that have emails from corp HQ stating this very thing. I'm sure I could get one of them to post it up for you.

You think wal-mart being private property doesn't allow them to ban carry on their own property.[/QUOTE}

Sure they are allowed to do that but only if corp HQ says so. There is a particular walmart in Dothan, AL that told an ALOC member he couldn't bring his OCed gun inside the store. He told them to go call corp HQ and within a few minutes they are helping him push his wife's wheelchair into the store gun and all with a smile stating they didn't know that was walmart's policy to allow customers to OC in their stores.

Or ask people to leave, which I know for sure management has the authority to do if they want.

Sure they can but if they do they better have a damn good reason for it and be able to prove what they say.

Just like these mangers refusing to sell ammo after 10pm! I guess bring a manager and all, they don't have the right to do that either!?!?

No they don't if corp tells them otherwise.

Our rights our more important than wal-marts private property rights is what you are saying.

I've never said that and now you're putting words in my mouth. Damn you have got to be a manager at walmart.:banghead:

I can't stand wal-Mart, or what they stand for, so don't go thinking I'm taking up for them

That's exactly what you're doing.

Right to ban whatever they want in their stores

Sure walmart has this right but teh manager on duty is not "walmart". He/she is their representative and must represent what corp HQ says without regard to what they personally like or don't like. If they can't deal with that you can bet your ass corp HQ will tell them to seek other employment.

Last edited:

ALOC1911

And, what happens when you call/email corporate, they "say otherwise", you go back to your local WalMart and they STILL refuse to sell you ammo at 4:00AM?

I can tell you....

Nothing.

Wanna bet? You take a copy of the email saying you can buy ammo at any hour the store is open, for example, and the manager will do one of two things. They will either do what the email says or they will call to verify it's authenticity and then sell you the ammo. If they still won't, you call or email corp again and I'll bet you will recieve a call from the manager asking you to come shop there again or you will recieve a call or an email stating contact has been made with the manager on duty and you will now be allowed to make the purchase.

My point all along has been that I get the feeling by some of the reactions that there are those who feel, to certain degrees, that WalMart should somehow be forced to sell us ammo on our schedule.

This is where you are dead wrong. Not one single person has said this. What we are saying is the manager should and will be forced to do as corp HQ says regardless of what they want to do. Nothing more, nothing less. It is walmart's store not the manager's store.

Last edited:

Jack House

This is where you are dead wrong. Not one single person has said this. What we are saying is the manager should and will be forced to do as corp HQ says regardless of what they want to do. Nothing more, nothing less. It is walmart's store not the manager's store.
Exactly.

Redbaron007

So you imply wal-mart does have an official policy that says carry is allowed if state law allows carry? Can you please tell me where I can find this information on their policy page on their official website? Or why corporate told me they "have no official policy on the carrying of firearms."? There is nothing in wal-Mart policy that says you can or can't carry. The reason we can carry is for that very reason, because they have nothing that officially says carry is banned. It's just like a law. If there's a law that says carry is prohibited, then we know we can't carry. If there is no laW that prohibits you from carrying, then we know we CAN carry, because nothing is telling us we can't.

They have told me, in an email, that their official policy for firearms in their stores, is to follow state and local laws for their stores. I don't know if it is on their 'policy' page or not. Is it on their policy page that every Walmart be tan and/or blue exterior? Keep me posted on this. I doubt they have every policy listed for public consumption; no company I'm aware of posts every internal policy; so you are grasping for a straw argument.

They don't have an official policy on firearms per se for each store because they have stated they will follow state and local laws on firarms in their store. If it's illegal to tote in their store from a state/local regulation, then you can't! Can they, being the corporate body, ban CC or OC...yep....but only from a corporate position; not a decision by the manager just because they want to.

You say a store can't ban firearms unless state law allows it??!? So they can't ban people from walking around naked unless state law allows?, or can't stop people from smoking in their store unless state law allows? So you can't ban people from coming in your home doing something you don't like unless state law allows right? You ever heard of private-property rights? You do realize wal-Mart is private property, and they can ban anything they d&mn well wish. It doesn't matte what state or local law says, if they don't want folks carrying guns in there stores, that is their god given right to ban them from entering.

Do you actually read comments people write or just the first word? My post you replied to has the answer to your question in it. You straw agrument about nudity is irrelevent.

Walmart HQ has the power to ban firearms in their stores; however, the store manage can't until it is reviewed by HQ.

KYGlockster....are you cycling? You seem...well, lets just say.......... argumentative/bitter.

Last edited:

Redbaron007

Mr glockster keep talking, You're becoming more dense by the second. Why walmart tells you one thing and people in AL another I can't say but have you ever thought about the fact that KY's laws are different from AL's and maybe that has something to do with it. They may not have a firearms policy for your state but just might for mine. As far as managers go, they are there to run the store according to corp HQ policy not make up whatever policy they want. They may be allowed to make policies to run the store a certain way but when a customer calls corp HQ and complains sometimes that manager's instore policy gets changed quickly. Too many members at ALOC have had it happen to them with their local walmart.

Agree 100%!

JeepSeller

I'll try to explain further, then, rest assured, this will be my last words in this thread, as my intention was never to incite anyone. Unfortunately, as I said before, often people go looking for a fight when there is none there. Gun forums seem to excel in this skill, a fact I constantly have to keep in mind apparently.

My stance gets its foundation from what I have observed over several years to be a common thread among some gun enthusiasts to ignore private property rights. For example, how often do we see threads similar to this one when XYZ business won't allow weapons inside their stores? And, then, how often do we see people who want to pound on the 2nd Amendment believing that the 2nd overrules private property rights in some manner? It doesn't, and , (gasp!) it shouldn't. Anyone who believes differently hasn't thought it through very far.

I get weary of seeing folks who wish to trample on one right so they can enjoy another.

THEN, I have observed, many times the same posters, turn a 180 degree about-face when it comes to the laws forcing them one way or another regarding their OWN private property rights. For example, in Florida, a property owner cannot give permission to a guest to openly carry. I cannot give you permission to break the law in other words. That is a fact of life that really bunches up a lot of shorts here in Florida.

Basically, I get weary of seeing the hypocrisy. In other words, it's not very intelligent to argue a cause that would limit or lesson the freedoms or rights for another (business or private property) only to turn around and argue for more rights or freedoms for your own property in the next breath. It really doesn't do us much good either in fighting the negative public perceptions either.

Thus is the basis of my comments. NOT anything more or less. Now, yes, as many have pointed out, no one has argued such specifics here in this thread. But, the discussion teeters on the edge of that kind of hypocrisy none the less.

In the end, I'm not debating who makes the policy and who doesn't. My point is very simple. Please, don't read anything more or less by looking for something you only want to see here. If WalMart chooses to refuse to sell you ammo at 4:00AM, that's their choice. It's their store. If corporate says one thing and a manger says another, that's between WalMart and manager. We are certainly within our own right to lodge a complaint, but, in the end, we are not the ruling committee of WalMart or their managers. It's not up to us. That simple. Get over it and go back during their hours, or find somewhere else to shop.

Uber_Olafsun

You say is Wal Mart decides not to sell at 4am. The problem is not that Wal Mart is saying that but a manager who is acting against company policy which a complaint should be lodged. The property belongs to Wal Mart not the manager. What most seem to be saying is if you are going against store policy we will and should contact your higher ups to get the situation handled. If I have a business and I create policies and when I am not there a manager tries to come up with his own directly against mine their butt is mine and they would not have a job.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Gentleman - neutral corners please. First retain your civility and address the issue(s) w/o insulting or demeaning remarks.

While Wal-Mart has indicated that they follow state law regarding guns, be aware that that includes more that you might wish - is it legal for a manager to ask you to leave or cover it up? - the manager IS the present authority in the eyes of the law, make no mistake about that. You may win in the end, but you also may be greatly inconvenienced in the process.

Arguing your case on the street or in Wal-Mart is a poor choice IMO. Surely you can try a pleasant conversation with him/her, but do not detract from your position with a poor attitude . Get the pertinent information (possibly on your recorder) and follow through with corporate at the earliest opportunity. Push and pull the wrong way and our privilege to carry in Wal-Mart could be restricted.

Should I be able to buy ammo at 4:00 AM? I see no reason way not, but that is not my decision and it is not my legal right to do so - it a convenience, but have never seen a law requiring it.

Take the high road in dealing with these bumps in the road and leave the rants and poor conduct to the other side. We should be better than that - I think we are.

JeepSeller

Gentleman - neutral corners please. First retain your civility and address the issue(s) w/o insulting or demeaning remarks.

While Wal-Mart has indicated that they follow state law regarding guns, be aware that that includes more that you might wish - is it legal for a manager to ask you to leave or cover it up? - the manager IS the present authority in the eyes of the law, make no mistake about that. You may win in the end, but you also may be greatly inconvenienced in the process.

Arguing your case on the street or in Wal-Mart is a poor choice IMO. Surely you can try a pleasant conversation with him/her, but do not detract from your position with a poor attitude . Get the pertinent information (possibly on your recorder) and follow through with corporate at the earliest opportunity. Push and pull the wrong way and our privilege to carry in Wal-Mart could be restricted.

Should I be able to buy ammo at 4:00 AM? I see no reason way not, but that is not my decision and it is not my legal right to do so - it a convenience, but have never seen a law requiring it.

Take the high road in dealing with these bumps in the road and leave the rants and poor conduct to the other side. We should be better than that - I think we are.

I did say I was done here, but, I do have to step back and and say....Well said Grapeshot! Honestly, what I was trying to say, only MUCH MUCH better. LOL

NOW that this has been explained in more kind wording than I could muster....I'll unsubscribe to this one. Nothing more to say here.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
They, the store manager, cannot ban firearms, unless the state/local laws allow it. WM policy is to 'follow' state/local laws and if the laws allow, they cannot prohibit. If they do, contact HQ; it will be corrected.

I do read all of someone's post before I comment. I do believe this phrase was at the end of your post, so why you would ask is odd. Read this snip from your post and ask yourself if it makes sense? You say walmart CAN'T ban firearms unless state or local law allow them to.

Can you please tell me just one state where state law forbids a private property owner from banning firearms in their store/residence?

And I still would like to see something official that says walmart does have an actual policy in writing that says their stores must allow carry if state law allows.

It is not company POLICY if it is not in writing.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Why walmart tells you one thing and people in AL another I can't say but have you ever thought about the fact that KY's laws are different from AL's and maybe that has something to do with it. They may not have a firearms policy for your state but just might for mine.

you contradict yourself. You base your argument on the fact that walmarts corporate policy is to allow carry if state law allows, and now you say they have a different policy for our two states? How could that be if walmarts policy is to allow carry, and they are a national company? That would mean the stores do not have to follow corporate policy, because they can have a different policy in my state than yours.

And our state laws are much different. In Ky, there are no laws concerning openly carried weapons, and you can OC anywhere you wish. The only laws In Ky regarding firearms is for concealed firearms. Every other gun law protects gun owners from the government. Ky law is much more lenient than Alabama law.
What does law have to do with it though? We can OC in both states, but does that mean walmart has to allow us to do so? No it certainly does not, because that would deprive them of their rights to their own property. I'm certain there is not a law in a single state thy says a private property owner must allow someone to carry a firearm, because that would be a very unconstitutional law!

Oh, I am still talking, sorry for sounding so dense! I was unaware that trying to make you understand that a private property owner can ban you from carrying a firearm, because it's their RIGHT , was being dense. If you don't realize a private property owner has a right to ban firearms, then you must not know much about rights in general.

since9

Campaign Veteran
EVERYONE: Please stop your bitching and WRITE THEM!

Print and sign the following letter and forward it to Walmart at BOTH of the following addresses:

Walmart.com Customer Service
850 Cherry Avenue
San Bruno, CA 94066

Walmart Home Office
702 SW 8th Street
Bentonville, Arkansas
72716-8611

To whom it may concern:

I am writing you concerning the apparently flagrant disregard some Walmart store managers, assistant managers, and sales staff have for Corporate Walmart policy concerning the sale of ammunition in your stores. To date, I have read several letters from Walmart Corporate and Legal claiming Walmart follows and respects the laws of the municipalities, counties, and states in which they operate. Sadly, the actions of your employees contradict corporate policy, leading to both confusion and serious inconvenience.

PLEASE do the following two things:

1. Incorporate Corporate Walmart policy concerning the sale of ammunition in your stores to ALL personnel at all levels. Enact compliance measure to ensure they're actually following corporate policy in the area of our Constitutional, State, and Local rights instead of merely giving them lip service as they're doing now.

2. Respond with a detailed description of the measures you've enacted to ensure ALL your stores throughout the entire United States of America respect our local, county, state, and federal laws with respect to our Constitution.

As evidence of your stores' violation of corporate policy, I offer you the following excerpts from two Walmarts who've refused to make a sale:

Walmart Supercenter
6100 West Reno Avenue, Oklahoma City, OK 73127
(405) 491-0320 ‎

I work late. I prefer to do my shopping at night, when the store is slow.

I was not open carrying, we aren't allowed to do that here in Oklahoma (yet). This Walmart refused to sell me ammo at midnight. The employees told me that there was a Federal law restricting ammo sales at night. I told them that wasn't true, and I asked to see a manager, and I got Josie (assistant manager). She tells me that it's Walmart policy not to sell ammo from 10PM to 7AM. I already know that walmart has no such policy, because I got the store manager at another store who already corrected his employees.

I called walmart corporate (1-800-walmart) and was told thre is no such policy. They took my complaint, and told me that someone would call me. Well, today someone called me. Some assistant manager from the store, who told me that that has been that store's policy for as long as she has worked there, and that one time some criminal fired a gun in the store. This is why they have the policy.

I asked her when the shooting incident took place, and she admitted that the incident happened since they have had that policy. I told her that clearly the incident was not prevented by the policy not to sell ammo to law abiding citizens on 3rd shift. I tried to reason with her, but she told me that she doesn't have authority to set store policy. I then asked why she was the one who was calling me back, then? I also asked her to get someone who DOES have that authority to call me back. I even proposed that perhaps NOBODY had that authority?

I know, I know... many people hate walmart. Many people refuse to shop there. However, you have to admit that we should all have the ability to buy ammo any time and any place that it's legal and a store is open.

I'm planning to keep bugging them on this issue. Hopefully I will get an area manager to call me before long.

Olathe Walmart Super Center
Store #577
13600 S. Alden Street
Olathe, Kansas 66062
(913) 829-4404

We have a walmart here in Kansas off of 135th in Olathe that refused to sell me ammunition when it was a little after 10pm. The sporting goods department employee told me they are not allowed until the morning of the new business day. I asked them why considering other walmarts have sold me ammunition in the early morning hours of 4am. I also have purchased ammunition at late hours from this location before, so to me something does not make any sense. I have heard of people saying its a Federal Law but I can't confirm with my encounter. Only thing I recall is me being told I will have to wait till the morning of the new day. Like I said it does not make any sense considering that it is perfectly legal to sell ammunition during all hours of the day and night at that specific walmart and other 24 hour wallmarts.

Wow, even in the Peoples Republic of Maryland, they sell handgun ammo in WalMarts. I've never bought it there, because it is 15-25% more than the same ammo in stores in VA, but I've seen 9mm, .38special, .357 magnum, .40, and .45acp in MD WalMarts...

As for the time of day, I have purchased handgun, rifle, and shotgun ammo in WalMarts in NC and VA after midnight with no issue, except they DID make me pay for it at the sporting goods counter, and didn't want me to carry it in my cart to the front checkout. And I was OCing every time I did it...

Sincerely,

X

Last edited:

Redbaron007

I do read all of someone's post before I comment. I do believe this phrase was at the end of your post, so why you would ask is odd. Read this snip from your post and ask yourself if it makes sense? You say walmart CAN'T ban firearms unless state or local law allow them to.

Can you please tell me just one state where state law forbids a private property owner from banning firearms in their store/residence?

And I still would like to see something official that says walmart does have an actual policy in writing that says their stores must allow carry if state law allows.

It is not company POLICY if it is not in writing.

You are not reading and comprehending.....my comment stated the store manager can't set the rule to ban unless HQ says so. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time reading this. WM, meaning HQ, can. Geesh...

As stated earlier, WM doesn't post every internal policy on line, therefore, you won't find it on line. So, as stated earlier, please show me where their policy is to paint the exterior of their stores tan and blue.

You were asked to go to ALOC thread and you see from other posters their emails they received from WM. You seem to be arguing against everyone else who have experience with WM. I wish I could find my email from them a few years ago to show you.

As for company policy, just because you can't see it in writing, doesn't mean it doesn't exist; they won't show you it either. As stated earlier, very few companies place all their internal policies on line for you to read; WM is no different, plus they won't quote it verbatim from their policy manual.

DWCook

Activist Member
I didn't think this thread would go this far as to people throwing forks at each other. It was a simple discussion as to why they won't sell after 2200 hours, not a thread to fire people up. I do understand businesses have the right to run it the way they want to run it. Lets turn this thread around to a more civilized discussion instead of ranting.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Relax gentlemen - no need to get even mildly upset with each other - we're on the same team, right?

Let's pull together rather than pull apart.

sharkey

Should I have gotten upset when my Wal-Mart said they wouldn't sell me a gun after 10PM? There's no law against it right? I mean it was only 9:40 and he didn't think he could get his manager and the background check done that quick.

P.S. He completed the transaction @ 9:59 PM and they walked me out of the store with a disassembled shotgun in a box even though I had a gun on my side ... LOL!

P.P.S. I didn't know you had to go through the background check for a long gun.