Thread: Can you give me Colorado law?

Can you give me Colorado law?

Hey guys. This is something I have been reading about a lot. Not sure if I understand everything correct but the law in Colorado with the exception of a few towns allows open carry. Now from what I read the law does not allow per say but also does not say that you cant. I understand what Federal law say. So can you please help me out with the law numbers saying.

Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    Hey guys. This is something I have been reading about a lot. Not sure if I understand everything correct but the law in Colorado with the exception of a few towns allows open carry. Now from what I read the law does not allow per say but also does not say that you cant. I understand what Federal law say. So can you please help me out with the law numbers saying.
    Typically, you do not find laws that 'do not say that you can't.'

If you go to the actual main website page http://www.opencarry.org/ and click 'Maps,' you will get to a group of maps that can get you headed in the right direction, including some statute numbers to get you in the correct section of code.

Other than that, CO residents should soon begin sharing information. Until then, information IS available in the existing threads.

Welcome!
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Look at it like this. Laws are made to make things "illegal", not legal. So if something isn't illegal it is legal by default.

Colorado is an OC state. No permit or license is required to OC. The city and county of Denver is the only place that has a current enforcible outright ban on OC. Other localities may regulate OC by posting signs at all entrances to the public area where they want to deny OC. That code is:
    C.R.S.
    A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by Beau; 02-06-2012 at 09:48 AM.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Colorado is an OC state. No permit or license is required to OC. The city and county of Denver is the only place that has a current enforcible outright ban on OC.
    You jogged my memory. No carry, period, at the State fair in Pueblo. This brings up a topic I've been meaning to research, gonna have to establish a new thread.

O2
    Last edited by O2HeN2; 02-06-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O2HeN2 View Post
    You jogged my memory. No carry, period, at the State fair in Pueblo.
    Such a prohibition is not legal, period, here in Colorado.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Such a prohibition is not legal, period, here in Colorado.
    Ah, but I think it might [unfortunately] be. We're not talking about a local Pueblo ordinance banning carry, even CC (which would not be legal, as you stated), this might be State grounds, subject to state law, and therefore outside the "local ordnance" clause.

That's why it's interesting.

Better to continue this discussion here.

O2
    Last edited by O2HeN2; 02-08-2012 at 09:49 AM.

What about Out of State Residents?

Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    I live in Texas and have a CCP to carry here in Texas and can carry in Colorado as a reciprocating state. What about Open Carry? Can non-residents Open Carry in Colorado? I spend the summers there and would be nice to be able to OC if I can.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by vytec View Post
    I live in Texas and have a CCP to carry here in Texas and can carry in Colorado as a reciprocating state. What about Open Carry? Can non-residents Open Carry in Colorado? I spend the summers there and would be nice to be able to OC if I can.

Thanks.
    Yes. Non residents can OC in Colorado. However, Denver city/county has an enforceable OC ban that does not require signage to enforce.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12