• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you give me Colorado law?

hank

Hey guys. This is something I have been reading about a lot. Not sure if I understand everything correct but the law in Colorado with the exception of a few towns allows open carry. Now from what I read the law does not allow per say but also does not say that you cant. I understand what Federal law say. So can you please help me out with the law numbers saying.

wrightme

Hey guys. This is something I have been reading about a lot. Not sure if I understand everything correct but the law in Colorado with the exception of a few towns allows open carry. Now from what I read the law does not allow per say but also does not say that you cant. I understand what Federal law say. So can you please help me out with the law numbers saying.

Typically, you do not find laws that 'do not say that you can't.'

If you go to the actual main website page http://www.opencarry.org/ and click 'Maps,' you will get to a group of maps that can get you headed in the right direction, including some statute numbers to get you in the correct section of code.

Other than that, CO residents should soon begin sharing information. Until then, information IS available in the existing threads.

Welcome!

Beau

Look at it like this. Laws are made to make things "illegal", not legal. So if something isn't illegal it is legal by default.

Colorado is an OC state. No permit or license is required to OC. The city and county of Denver is the only place that has a current enforcible outright ban on OC. Other localities may regulate OC by posting signs at all entrances to the public area where they want to deny OC. That code is:
C.R.S.

A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

O2HeN2

Such a prohibition is not legal, period, here in Colorado.
Ah, but I think it might [unfortunately] be. We're not talking about a local Pueblo ordinance banning carry, even CC (which would not be legal, as you stated), this might be State grounds, subject to state law, and therefore outside the "local ordnance" clause.

That's why it's interesting.

Better to continue this discussion here.

O2

Last edited:

vytec

What about Out of State Residents?

I live in Texas and have a CCP to carry here in Texas and can carry in Colorado as a reciprocating state. What about Open Carry? Can non-residents Open Carry in Colorado? I spend the summers there and would be nice to be able to OC if I can.

Thanks.

Beau

I live in Texas and have a CCP to carry here in Texas and can carry in Colorado as a reciprocating state. What about Open Carry? Can non-residents Open Carry in Colorado? I spend the summers there and would be nice to be able to OC if I can.

Thanks.
Yes. Non residents can OC in Colorado. However, Denver city/county has an enforceable OC ban that does not require signage to enforce.