• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado State Fair weapons ban

O2HeN2

Could one of our Pueblo brethren swing by the state fairgrounds sometime and get the CRS that’s posted at entrances proclaiming no weapons on state fairgrounds? (or if you’re better at searching the CRS than I am, feel free! :)) I’ve been meaning to look that statute for some time to see exactly what it says. All I know is that the state fair interprets it to mean no carry, either OC or CC.

O2

RandyH

I did a quick search on their web site and did not find anything in regards to general admission. However the following was under the Entertainment section.

The following items are NOT PERMITTED in the Events Center or Budweiser Grandstand Arena
Outside food or drinks (Venue has many individual concession stands)
Laser pointers (Will be confiscated & patron subject to ejection).
Recording devices (Audio, Video, or Cameras as restricted by show)
Backpacks
Smoking
Weapons or items construed as weapons (e.g., guns, knives, sticks, fireworks)

Good luck.

O2HeN2

I know there's a sign at the Governor's Gate on West Arroyo Ave, in fact it might be rightmost of those two signs in the picture. If not, it's probably the one visible through the bars, by the ticket windows.

It quotes the CRS statute and lists its number that allows the ban, and I'd like to read it for myself. Can anyone down in Pueblo swing by there sometime?

O2

Last edited:

x1wildone

29-11.7-104. Regulation - Carrying - Posting.
A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts
www.handgunlaw.us 8
an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrance
(4) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which: (a) Security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place at each entrance to the building; (b) Security personnel electronically screen each person who enters the building to determine whether the person is carrying a weapon of any kind; and (c) Security personnel require each person who is carrying a weapon of any kind to leave the weapon in possession of security personnel while the person is in the building.s to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

According to these C.R.Statutes open carry at State fair grounds could be prohibited, but cc cannot unless security personnel with metal detectors are posted at entrances.

O2HeN2

29-11.7-104. Regulation - Carrying - Posting.
A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts
www.handgunlaw.us 8
an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrance
(4) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which: (a) Security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place at each entrance to the building; (b) Security personnel electronically screen each person who enters the building to determine whether the person is carrying a weapon of any kind; and (c) Security personnel require each person who is carrying a weapon of any kind to leave the weapon in possession of security personnel while the person is in the building.s to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

According to these C.R.Statutes open carry at State fair grounds could be prohibited, but cc cannot unless security personnel with metal detectors are posted at entrances.

Ok, we have the same discussion going on in two threads, this being the better one.

Here's the key: I believe that the State fairgrounds are State property and not Pueblo property, and we're not talking about "A local government" but a State statute because they quote the CRS for banning "weapons" at the State fair. That's why I'm asking for the CRS number that's on the sign at the State fair entrance.

That's why I'm interested, there's more to it here than the normal banning of OC by local governments.

O2

PS. As a datapoint, but probably moot because we're talking about a state statute, there have never been metal detectors at the state fair entrances. They do have people poke around in purses and backpacks as you enter, but nothing more than that.

JamesB

Snip...
Here's the key: I believe that the State fairgrounds are State property and not Pueblo property, and we're not talking about "A local government" but a State statute because they quote the CRS for banning "weapons" at the State fair. That's why I'm asking for the CRS number that's on the sign at the State fair entrance.

But are they? Are the fairgrounds State, Local, or Private? I have never been there myself, but I see the "Budweiser Grandstand Arena." The Budweiser Event Center bans carry last I knew. Sports Authority Field bans carry. Dick's Sporting Goods Park does too. The Pepsi Center... The list goes on. All of these places are private property.

They hold public events there, and are even subsidised by the governments, but they are still private.

O2HeN2

But are they [State property]?
I don't know for sure, hence my "I believe..." statement. Even if they aren't, if a State Statute bans bans carry there, it's [unfortunately] valid since we're not talking about a law passed by a local government.

We need that cite, everything's conjecture at this point.

O2

Gunslinger

CC cannot be banned if the property is owned by any local or state government. If it is privately owned, the owners can. OC can be banned by the local government. The state only allows a ban based on the metal detectors, et al provision.

Last edited:

bogidu

Apologies

Yesterday did NOT turn out like I had planned . . . . . this CAUCUS stuff is crap, give me a primary any day of the week.

Ok, I did stop by and take pictures this morning, unfortunately I left the disk out of my camera so it saved to internal memory . . . . and of course, the cable for it is at home. I can upload them tonight.

Of course I can tell you exactly what the signs say . . . . . STATE PROPERTY, NO FIREARMS. No mention of a CRS or anything of the sort.

mahkagari

But are they? Are the fairgrounds State, Local, or Private? I have never been there myself, but I see the "Budweiser Grandstand Arena." The Budweiser Event Center bans carry last I knew. Sports Authority Field bans carry. Dick's Sporting Goods Park does too. The Pepsi Center... The list goes on. All of these places are private property.

They hold public events there, and are even subsidised by the governments, but they are still private.

Curious, might these be state/local government owned with only the naming rights being leased?

O2HeN2

Ok, NOW I'm starting to think the ban is completely illegal. I'm going through Article 65 to see if any "special powers" are given to the state fair authority. Other eyes on the document would be most welcome!

O2

Last edited:

bogidu

I have it on FAIRly good authority that it's not legal . . . . but the attitude is that until someone challenges it they are going to enforce it. Hang around the midway from 10pm on . . . . . you'll see why they are doing it.

JamesB

I have it on FAIRly good authority that it's not legal . . . . but the attitude is that until someone challenges it they are going to enforce it. Hang around the midway from 10pm on . . . . . you'll see why they are doing it.

Seems to me that that's precisely why they should not be doing it.

x1wildone

I would walk past that sign cc no problem, If I felt a bit ornery I would oc but would be prepared for some extra special attention. That sign is only there to keep the sheeple under the thumb. It is not an enforcable sign, but be prepared to spend some money and time. State could not even trespass you on public property.

O2HeN2

Starting with the path of least resistance: I'll sign up to write a letter to John Suthers, asking the State Fairground signs be brought into compliance with state law. Might as well make a party out of it -- I'll post the proposed letter here for critiquing before I send it off. I helped with one of his campaigns many years ago, but I guarantee that he doesn't remember me, so that's no "in". :)

O2