• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Talked to some clueless LEO's this weekend.

the500kid

I talked to no less than three diffrent LEOs this weekend 1 Detroit PD, 1 a Boarder Patrol and one a Sheriffs Deputy none had the first clue or had ever been breifed on Open Carry.

sawah

In a sense, it...uh, makes sense. I mean it's totally harmless to them, for them that law-abiding OC-ers exist and do their thing. I mean what's to know, really?

It's legal, it's a 2A right. Period. (YMMV if you live in Illinois or Fla).

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Plausible deniability, I'll bet.

That way if they screw with you and you sue they have a better shot at qualified immunity. And, if they screw with you, and find something else to charge you with, they can always angle for the so-called "good faith exception."*

*The good faith exception is the legal equivalent of "good enough for government work." I learned that idea here: http://www.fourthamendment.com/blog/ (This is a great legal blog by the way on 4A--search and seizure. I check it regularly. The first entry for 2/8/12 is about a traffic stop. The blogger, a long-time attorney, gets it exactly right in his one-sentence criticism of the court's finding.)

alphamale

To say every officer was briefed is idiotic. MSP has NO clue who was briefed or not. MSP sends the info to the different depts and those depts city/county legal depts then look at the information and disseminate that information in the new improved legal jargon to to the Dept heads who are responsible to get it to the troops. Well guess what? It rarely gets to the troops and when it does it winds up with classes for the officers/troops by the City Legal dept and Detroit's a good example, the legal gurus in Detroit changed the information to the point they gave out false information. When this was cause the Police Dept brass decided to give the classes again due to the ranting of one officer, who wound up giving the instruction himself to some of the officers, problem is he wasn't allowed to teach all the officers. So as a result some Detroit officers are still clueless because the City's legal dept gave out false information.
Most depts have the same problem, and this is the trickle down information is usually corrupted by the City's legal "experts" lol.

Sue those depts when they trample on your rights it is the only thing that will get their attention in this time of little money to run a dept. That financial pain will get attention when you win.

Mildly surprised since the MSP insists every officer in the state has been briefed on it. Especially from a DPD and a county sheriff.

jeremy05

I thought good faith was more of a search warrant thing. Like if Officer A gets dirty intel on a house or person and submits it to a judge and the judge doesn't know its dirty intel obtained illegally, he will issue a warrant biased on good faith. The warrant is then served along with other officers who also don't know it was obtained illegally. All the other officers and judge are under the good faith exception.

But its been awhile from school/academy!

Also Having gone though both a local police academy and a federal academy. Open carry is not even discussed. Except in my classes haha.

Last edited: