Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: One-gun-a-month almost dead

  1. #1
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    One-gun-a-month almost dead

    Senate passes bill 21-19. Looks like one of the D's flipped.

    Saslaw, ever the statesman: "if a person bought one gun a month, every month, for the past 20 years, they would have amassed a cache of 240 handguns." "If you need more than 240 handguns, I submit something’s wrong with you," he said.

    TFred

  2. #2
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Speculation on why these particular folks crossed over? I have to say I'm fairly disappointed that Norment went the other way.

    TFred

    Virginia Senate votes to repeal one-gun-a-month

    "Two Democrats, Sen. John S. Edwards of Roanoke and R. Creigh Deeds of Bath, sided with Republicans. Sen. Thomas K. Norment Jr., R-James City, the GOP Senate leader, voted with Democrats."

  3. #3
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Thumbs down I Submit

    That if you believe it is your place to tell someone what possessions he can or cannot have and how many of them, then there is something wrong with you.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    I for one will be relieved to be free of the onerous burden of having to buy one handgun each and every month.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Speculation on why these particular folks crossed over? I have to say I'm fairly disappointed that Norment went the other way.

    TFred

    Virginia Senate votes to repeal one-gun-a-month

    "Two Democrats, Sen. John S. Edwards of Roanoke and R. Creigh Deeds of Bath, sided with Republicans. Sen. Thomas K. Norment Jr., R-James City, the GOP Senate leader, voted with Democrats."
    Norment is a definte moderate, almost a RINO on firearms, other issues he's conservative. Deeds is actually pretty consistently progun for a VA sen DEM. His vote w Repubs killed the loophole bill the year after the Vtech massacre. Edwards i know nothing about.
    Last edited by 67GT390FB; 02-06-2012 at 02:57 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burke/Blacksburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by 67GT390FB View Post
    Norment is a definte moderate, almost a RINO on firearms, other issues he's conservative. Deeds is actually pretty consistently progun for a VA sen DEM. His vote w Repubs killed the loophole bill the year after the Vtech massacre. Edwards i know nothing about.
    Edwards represents a SW Virginia district with lots of rural constituents that are generally pro-gun. As I recall, during the November elections he and his opponent ran competing ads, each declaring that they were the most pro-gun candidate.

  7. #7
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by 67GT390FB View Post
    Norment is a definte moderate, almost a RINO on firearms, other issues he's conservative. Deeds is actually pretty consistently progun for a VA sen DEM. His vote w Repubs killed the loophole bill the year after the Vtech massacre. Edwards i know nothing about.
    Quote Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
    Edwards represents a SW Virginia district with lots of rural constituents that are generally pro-gun. As I recall, during the November elections he and his opponent ran competing ads, each declaring that they were the most pro-gun candidate.
    Good to know they will stand up and vote where their mouths have run... Apparently EXCEPT for when it came to leadership of the Senate during the past two years... Of course, those votes are closed, so we never really know what happens there.

    TFred

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Geese.....I've been out of my mind or asleep for the last few days.
    All this is news to me. The last I heard, Obenshain was in favor of the bill.

    That does not make me happy!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burke/Blacksburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    998
    The measure now heads to the House of Delegates, where it is expected to be swfitly approved.
    Is there a difference between the Senate bill and the one that already passed in the House that will require the House to vote again, or is this just bad reporting? Base on the quality of the editing (can you spot the error in this one sentence?), a bad reporting job really wouldn't surprise me much.

  10. #10
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
    Is there a difference between the Senate bill and the one that already passed in the House that will require the House to vote again, or is this just bad reporting? Base on the quality of the editing (can you spot the error in this one sentence?), a bad reporting job really wouldn't surprise me much.
    The appear to be identical, so I'm not sure why they need to be voted on again. What happens if the vote is different?

    I guess the way the rules read, at least one of the bills must be passed out of both houses, if they were to both get voted down now, then they would both fail, even though they had passed in their respective houses of origin.

    Is that correct? I'm just guessing.

    TFred

  11. #11
    Regular Member Steeler-gal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Senate passes bill 21-19. Looks like one of the D's flipped.

    Saslaw, ever the statesman: "if a person bought one gun a month, every month, for the past 20 years, they would have amassed a cache of 240 handguns." "If you need more than 240 handguns, I submit something’s wrong with you," he said.

    TFred
    How come they don't care that I own 140 different types of tech gadgets because I buy one or more of them a month? Do I NEED 2 Nanos and every iPhone I've ever bought? No but isn't it my prerogative to spend my $$ anyway I see fit?


    Sent using Tapatalk
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

  12. #12
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Senate passes bill 21-19. Looks like one of the D's flipped.

    Saslaw, ever the statesman: "if a person bought one gun a month, every month, for the past 20 years, they would have amassed a cache of 240 handguns." "If you need more than 240 handguns, I submit something’s wrong with you," he said.

    TFred
    Only if they kept them all.

    He certainly wouldn't consider selling any of them, like at a gun show, would he?

    ETA: Not to mention the worth of such a collection!
    Last edited by 2a4all; 02-06-2012 at 05:31 PM.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Geese.....I've been out of my mind or asleep for the last few days.
    All this is news to me. The last I heard, Obenshain was in favor of the bill.

    That does not make me happy!
    YEAS--Black, Blevins, Carrico, Deeds, Edwards, Garrett, Hanger, Martin, McDougle, McWaters, Newman, Obenshain, Reeves, Ruff, Smith, Stanley, Stosch, Stuart, Vogel, Wagner, Watkins--21.

    NAYS--Barker, Colgan, Ebbin, Favola, Herring, Howell, Locke, Lucas, Marsden, Marsh, McEachin, Miller, J.C., Miller, Y.B., Norment, Northam, Petersen, Puckett, Puller, Saslaw--19.

    peter, obenshain voted for the bill it was norment that went to the darkside just like in committee.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715
    Norment has always been a bit quirky, even to the point of unpredictability with regard to gun issues. When campaigning, he will typically point out that he is a staunch NRA member and a lover of hunting, but we know what the latter statement can often mean. Most of us know better than to pay any attention to the "I am a hunter too" nonsense, as if that had a damn thing to do with Art. 1 Sec. 13 of our Constitution. We should see big red flags any time a polititian uses that term. Tommy can always be seen working the crownd at LGC any time an election draws nigh. I'll have to say something to him the next time I run into him there, as well as send a note to his office now.

  15. #15
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Norment has always been a bit quirky, even to the point of unpredictability with regard to gun issues. When campaigning, he will typically point out that he is a staunch NRA member and a lover of hunting, but we know what the latter statement can often mean. Most of us know better than to pay any attention to the "I am a hunter too" nonsense, as if that had a damn thing to do with Art. 1 Sec. 13 of our Constitution. We should see big red flags any time a polititian uses that term. Tommy can always be seen working the crownd at LGC any time an election draws nigh. I'll have to say something to him the next time I run into him there, as well as send a note to his office now.
    He was certainly out there at those Tuscany Forum sessions, even going so far as to say he would "back bench" Sen Marsh. I guess when you don't get the "true majority" you expect, you have to make some compromises.
    Last edited by 2a4all; 02-06-2012 at 05:36 PM.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

  16. #16
    Regular Member ChinChin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Loudoun County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    683

    I predict

    It shall take less than 48 hours from today for the anti's to use stock catch phrase #4 "They'll be blood in the streets." and whats more. . .less than 72 hours for stock phrase #2 "wild west" to be thrown about.

    Bonus: If they also use #7 "Endanger the lives of our children" along with #'s 4 & 2. . .I shall proclaim myself the Nostradamus of Anti-freedom tactics.

    (note: I wanted to also prognosticate on the use of #1: "Racist", but that would be a no-brainer.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

  17. #17
    Regular Member Haz.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    I come from a land downunder.
    Posts
    1,227
    Does that mean if that I own three cars I would drive three times further each day? and if I have two showers in my home I will shower twice as many times per day?

    I have 14 clubs in each of my golf bags which means I play golf at least 28 times per week.

    Cheers, Haz.
    When a criminal invades your home and has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.

    My Definition of Gun Control: The idea that dozens of people found dead in the Broadway Café, Tasmania, and many also seriously wounded, all while waiting for police, who were called to show up and protect them, is somehow morally superior to having several armed and therefore alive civilian's explaining to police how the attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    634

    Concerning Sen. Edwards...,

    JMHO, but I believe he HAS been fairly good on many pro gun bills and he makes very good argument. I wish he were not a Democrat.

    Concerning Saslaw..., here we go with the "need" thing again. Reduncency, that's right redundancy, it's my snigglett, combining redundant and dunce, to use when something stupid is done over and over and over again..., REDUNCENCY!!!

    sidestreet

    Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

    we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

  19. #19
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Why do we not hear more publicity about the fact that only California, Maryland, and New Jersey remain as states that ration handgun purchases?

    Notice NEW YORK is NOT on that list!

    TFred

  20. #20
    Regular Member altajava's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Why do we not hear more publicity about the fact that only California, Maryland, and New Jersey remain as states that ration handgun purchases?

    Notice NEW YORK is NOT on that list!

    TFred
    I heard that on the radio during the drive home. Wasn't sure I heard it right. I would have bet money on the fact that Bloomey had New York state doining what he wants ever one else to do.

  21. #21
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by altajava View Post
    I heard that on the radio during the drive home. Wasn't sure I heard it right. I would have bet money on the fact that Bloomey had New York state doining what he wants ever one else to do.
    Classic "do as I say, not as I do."

    Can his character get any lower?

    TFred

  22. #22
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Classic "do as I say, not as I do."

    Can his character get any lower?

    TFred
    Only if he keeps on digging .....


    BTW - just heard that the airport carry bill made it out of Senate Committee #3 - much to the extreme annoyance of the spokesman from the Airport Authority.

    OTOH - the bill to allow professors to carry in campus buildings was killed - got to really ramp up on that one next year.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  23. #23
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by 67GT390FB View Post
    Norment is a definte moderate, almost a RINO on firearms, other issues he's conservative. Deeds is actually pretty consistently progun for a VA sen DEM. His vote w Repubs killed the loophole bill the year after the Vtech massacre. Edwards i know nothing about.
    I'll admit I am not too familiar with Deeds or Virginia politics, but according to wiki Deeds-

    Deeds proposed a measure, which ultimately failed, that would eliminate private sales at gun shows. The bill's proponents called it a measure to prevent another disaster like the Virginia Tech massacre[36] even though the shooter purchased his firearms from licensed gun dealers and not at a gun show.

    Deeds supports a state ban on the civilian ownership of assault weapons.[37]

    Deeds has voted multiple times against Castle Doctrine bills

    In January 2011, Deeds voted against Senate Bill 876 (Castle Doctrine) which would have allowed “a lawful occupant use of physical force, including deadly force, against an intruder in his dwelling who has committed an overt act against him, without civil liability.”[39]

    In February 2011, Deeds was one of eight senators on the Senate Courts of Justice Committee who “passed by indefinitely” House Bill 1573, defeating the bill by an 8 to 4 margin.

    Those do not seem to me to be very 2A friendly positions, but maybe I'm missing something. Has he since changed his positions?

  24. #24
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by 67GT390FB View Post
    Norment is a definte moderate, almost a RINO on firearms, other issues he's conservative. Deeds is actually pretty consistently progun for a VA sen DEM. His vote w Repubs killed the loophole bill the year after the Vtech massacre. Edwards i know nothing about.
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    I'll admit I am not too familiar with Deeds or Virginia politics, but according to wiki Deeds-

    Deeds proposed a measure, which ultimately failed, that would eliminate private sales at gun shows. The bill's proponents called it a measure to prevent another disaster like the Virginia Tech massacre[36] even though the shooter purchased his firearms from licensed gun dealers and not at a gun show.

    Deeds supports a state ban on the civilian ownership of assault weapons.[37]

    Deeds has voted multiple times against Castle Doctrine bills

    In January 2011, Deeds voted against Senate Bill 876 (Castle Doctrine) which would have allowed “a lawful occupant use of physical force, including deadly force, against an intruder in his dwelling who has committed an overt act against him, without civil liability.”[39]

    In February 2011, Deeds was one of eight senators on the Senate Courts of Justice Committee who “passed by indefinitely” House Bill 1573, defeating the bill by an 8 to 4 margin.

    Those do not seem to me to be very 2A friendly positions, but maybe I'm missing something. Has he since changed his positions?
    Operative words are bolded above = for a Democrat

    Yes he has voted against the proposed Castle Doctrine Bills and so to would I have.

    IMO these bills as written would greatly reduce the protection that we now enjoy through statute and case law. My opinion is as a result of listening carefully to our own Dan Hawes who has done extensive research into the subject. Would I like to see a well worded Castle Doctrine bill that incorporated all of the protections that we now have? You bet - such a proposed bill is in process of being vented now.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  25. #25
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Operative words are bolded above = for a Democrat

    Yes he has voted against the proposed Castle Doctrine Bills and so to would I have.

    IMO these bills as written would greatly reduce the protection that we now enjoy through statute and case law. My opinion is as a result of listening carefully to our own Dan Hawes who has done extensive research into the subject. Would I like to see a well worded Castle Doctrine bill that incorporated all of the protections that we now have? You bet - such a proposed bill is in process of being vented now.
    Thanks for clarifying, I guess I just look at whether someone is pro 2A or anti, not what party they belong to. Does he still take the position of supporting an AWB and eliminating gun show sales though? I don't know how anyone can be considered pro2A with those positions, regardless of party.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •