• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One-gun-a-month almost dead

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Classic "do as I say, not as I do."

Can his character get any lower?

TFred

Only if he keeps on digging
Diggin_a_hole.gif
.....:lol:

BTW - just heard that the airport carry bill made it out of Senate Committee #3 - much to the extreme annoyance of the spokesman from the Airport Authority.

OTOH - the bill to allow professors to carry in campus buildings was killed - got to really ramp up on that one next year.

detroit_fan

Norment is a definte moderate, almost a RINO on firearms, other issues he's conservative. Deeds is actually pretty consistently progun for a VA sen DEM. His vote w Repubs killed the loophole bill the year after the Vtech massacre. Edwards i know nothing about.

I'll admit I am not too familiar with Deeds or Virginia politics, but according to wiki Deeds-

Deeds proposed a measure, which ultimately failed, that would eliminate private sales at gun shows. The bill's proponents called it a measure to prevent another disaster like the Virginia Tech massacre[36] even though the shooter purchased his firearms from licensed gun dealers and not at a gun show.

Deeds supports a state ban on the civilian ownership of assault weapons.[37]

Deeds has voted multiple times against Castle Doctrine bills

In January 2011, Deeds voted against Senate Bill 876 (Castle Doctrine) which would have allowed “a lawful occupant use of physical force, including deadly force, against an intruder in his dwelling who has committed an overt act against him, without civil liability.”[39]

In February 2011, Deeds was one of eight senators on the Senate Courts of Justice Committee who “passed by indefinitely” House Bill 1573, defeating the bill by an 8 to 4 margin.

Those do not seem to me to be very 2A friendly positions, but maybe I'm missing something. Has he since changed his positions?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Norment is a definte moderate, almost a RINO on firearms, other issues he's conservative. Deeds is actually pretty consistently progun for a VA sen DEM. His vote w Repubs killed the loophole bill the year after the Vtech massacre. Edwards i know nothing about.

I'll admit I am not too familiar with Deeds or Virginia politics, but according to wiki Deeds-

Deeds proposed a measure, which ultimately failed, that would eliminate private sales at gun shows. The bill's proponents called it a measure to prevent another disaster like the Virginia Tech massacre[36] even though the shooter purchased his firearms from licensed gun dealers and not at a gun show.

Deeds supports a state ban on the civilian ownership of assault weapons.[37]

Deeds has voted multiple times against Castle Doctrine bills

In January 2011, Deeds voted against Senate Bill 876 (Castle Doctrine) which would have allowed “a lawful occupant use of physical force, including deadly force, against an intruder in his dwelling who has committed an overt act against him, without civil liability.”[39]

In February 2011, Deeds was one of eight senators on the Senate Courts of Justice Committee who “passed by indefinitely” House Bill 1573, defeating the bill by an 8 to 4 margin.

Those do not seem to me to be very 2A friendly positions, but maybe I'm missing something. Has he since changed his positions?

Operative words are bolded above = for a Democrat

Yes he has voted against the proposed Castle Doctrine Bills and so to would I have.

IMO these bills as written would greatly reduce the protection that we now enjoy through statute and case law. My opinion is as a result of listening carefully to our own Dan Hawes who has done extensive research into the subject. Would I like to see a well worded Castle Doctrine bill that incorporated all of the protections that we now have? You bet - such a proposed bill is in process of being vented now.

detroit_fan

Operative words are bolded above = for a Democrat

Yes he has voted against the proposed Castle Doctrine Bills and so to would I have.

IMO these bills as written would greatly reduce the protection that we now enjoy through statute and case law. My opinion is as a result of listening carefully to our own Dan Hawes who has done extensive research into the subject. Would I like to see a well worded Castle Doctrine bill that incorporated all of the protections that we now have? You bet - such a proposed bill is in process of being vented now.

Thanks for clarifying, I guess I just look at whether someone is pro 2A or anti, not what party they belong to. Does he still take the position of supporting an AWB and eliminating gun show sales though? I don't know how anyone can be considered pro2A with those positions, regardless of party.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks for clarifying, I guess I just look at whether someone is pro 2A or anti, not what party they belong to. Does he still take the position of supporting an AWB and eliminating gun show sales though? I don't know how anyone can be considered pro2A with those positions, regardless of party.

No one is saying that Sen. Deeds is a total pro gun advocate, but he is fairly consistent with the exceptions (yes they're notable) that you mention.

The passage of the bill reversing the "One Handgun a Month" limitation would not have been so simple and clean had it not been for 2 Democratic cross-overs - one of which was Deeds.

We take our friends where we find them and thank them for the efforts.

2a4all

I recall seeing something on here during the elections about campaign contributions, specifically those made by Bloomberg to candidates running for Virginia Legislature, but am unable to find it.

It would be interesting to compare that list to the "No" votes on repealing OHGAM.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I recall seeing something on here during the elections about campaign contributions, specifically those made by Bloomberg to candidates running for Virginia Legislature, but am unable to find it.

It would be interesting to compare that list to the "No" votes on repealing OHGAM.

This is the one to which you refer I think:

Five of the candidates Bloomberg supports are Democratic incumbents: John Miller, Mark Herring, Toddy Puller, Dave Marsden and George Barker. A sixth, Barbara Favola, is running for an open seat.
http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-10-29/news/30337941_1_gun-stings-mayor-bloomberg-crime-guns

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Barbara Favola was elected.

John Miller, Mark Herring, Toddy Puller, Dave Marsden, and George Barker were all reelected to the VA Senate.

Haven't found the roll call of votes in this issue though - wanna try?

2a4all

John Miller, Mark Herring, Toddy Puller, Dave Marsden, and George Barker were all reelected to the VA Senate.

I know that Sen John Miller voted "No" because he said so in his response to the VCDL e-mail I sent him asking him to support the bill.

And from the Virginia Public Access Project (http://www.vpap.org/committees/profile/money_in_details/1539?donor_id=209608), we find this:

[h=3]All receipts reported by Miller for Senate - John
from Michael R Bloomberg[/h]Location: New York, NY
Industry: Local Government Employees
Employer: New York City

From 20112010200920082007 through 20112010200920082007 (select all years )
Filter by Filing Period: All Within Selected Year(s)01/15/2012 Due Date (Covering 12/02/2011-12/31/2011)12/08/2011 Due Date (Covering 10/27/2011-12/01/2011)10/31/2011 Due Date (Covering 10/01/2011-10/26/2011)10/15/2011 Due Date (Covering 09/01/2011-09/30/2011)09/15/2011 Due Date (Covering 08/11/2011-08/31/2011)08/15/2011 Due Date (Covering 07/01/2011-08/10/2011)07/15/2011 Due Date (Covering 04/01/2011-06/30/2011)04/15/2011 Due Date (Covering 01/01/2011-03/31/2011)
All receipts Itemized cash contributions In-kind donations Loans [h=3]Contributions Totaling $25,000[/h]
AmountDateDescription
$25,00010/26/2011Itemized cash contribution

TFred

Waste of time, IMHO, and it's certainly yours to waste if you want to.... it's the chicken or the egg problem. Did Bloomy give them money because they were anti-gun, or did they vote anti-gun because Bloomy gave them money?

The answer is, they were anti-gun before, and they were anti-gun after. You know without even looking that they all voted against the repeal of OGAM... and Bloomy's money had little to do with it, but that can't be determined subjectively.

TFred

2a4all

Here 'tis.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?121+vot+SV0243SB0323+SB0323

YEAS--Black, Blevins, Carrico, Deeds, Edwards, Garrett, Hanger, Martin, McDougle, McWaters, Newman, Obenshain, Reeves, Ruff, Smith, Stanley, Stosch, Stuart, Vogel, Wagner, Watkins--21.
NAYS--Barker, Colgan, Ebbin, Favola, Herring, Howell, Locke, Lucas, Marsden, Marsh, McEachin, Miller, J.C., Miller, Y.B., Norment, Northam, Petersen, Puckett, Puller, Saslaw--19.

And to think that this only cost Bloomberg $25,000 each!

And I just got e-mail from Tim Kaine's campaign urging me to support him in his US Senate bid, and to sign a petition for the Republicans in Richmond to quit this partisan bickering and concentrate on jobs and the economy.:banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Here 'tis.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?121+vot+SV0243SB0323+SB0323

YEAS--Black, Blevins, Carrico, Deeds, Edwards, Garrett, Hanger, Martin, McDougle, McWaters, Newman, Obenshain, Reeves, Ruff, Smith, Stanley, Stosch, Stuart, Vogel, Wagner, Watkins--21.
NAYS--Barker, Colgan, Ebbin, Favola, Herring, Howell, Locke, Lucas, Marsden, Marsh, McEachin, Miller, J.C., Miller, Y.B., Norment, Northam, Petersen, Puckett, Puller, Saslaw--19.

[highlight]And to think that this only cost Bloomberg $25,000 each![/highlight]

And I just got e-mail from Tim Kaine's campaign urging me to support him in his US Senate bid, and to sign a petition for the Republicans in Richmond to quit this partisan bickering and concentrate on jobs and the economy.:banghead:

Gotta love it when Bloomie throws money down a rat hole. :D

2a4all

Waste of time, IMHO, and it's certainly yours to waste if you want to.... it's the chicken or the egg problem. Did Bloomy give them money because they were anti-gun, or did they vote anti-gun because Bloomy gave them money?

The answer is, they were anti-gun before, and they were anti-gun after. You know without even looking that they all voted against the repeal of OGAM... and Bloomy's money had little to do with it, but that can't be determined subjectively.

TFred
No, TFred, it's more like the fox infiltrating the (our?) henhouse problem, where the fox appears to have convinced some of the chickens to let him in (or at least listen to his speil.). He picked them because they were anti-gun (as is he), and because they might be able to get some of their friends to listen also.

What happened to Miller's supposed Journalistic Integrity?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No, TFred, it's more like the fox infiltrating the (our?) henhouse problem, where the fox appears to have convinced some of the chickens to let him in (or at least listen to his speil.). He picked them because they were anti-gun (as is he), and because they might be able to get some of their friends to listen also.

What happened to Miller's supposed Journalistic Integrity?

Appears to me that he is displaying it (or lack of it) for all to see.

Old Virginia Joe

When they ask us just how many guns we think we "need," let us ask the ladies among the antis just how many pairs of shoes they have in their closet . . . . . . .hmmmmm? Do the male legislative antis rant and rave on their wives how many pairs of shoes THEY need? Let's see, which holds value better as an investment: a pair of old shoes, or an old gun?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
When they ask us just how many guns we think we "need," let us ask the ladies among the antis just how many pairs of shoes they have in their closet . . . . . . .hmmmmm? Do the male legislative antis rant and rave on their wives how many pairs of shoes THEY need? Let's see, which holds value better as an investment: a pair of old shoes, or an old gun?

I use responses such as what you have outlined here. I have also responded with, "How many plates do you need". What these people don't seem to understand is beyond a few, it becomes a matter more of want than need. They can easily see how someone might want another pair of shoes or a few more plates and settings but cannot, or will not, apply that same logic to wanting more guns. It's a simple matter of this.

There are folks who don't like guns. They don't want them and don't believe they need them. But it's not just that they don't want or need them, they don't want us to have them, either. And there is very little we can do to convince most of these folks otherwise.