Thread: HB 4009/4010 -- Help Repeal Concealed Carry Free Zones

HB 4009/4010 -- Help Repeal Concealed Carry Free Zones

Brothers and Sisters in Arms,

HB 4009 & 4010 (Introduced by Rep. Richard LeBlanc (D - Westland)) are bills that are similar to SB 58 (Eliminate Pistol Free Zones for Concealed Carry). Like SB 58, these bills were introduced in January 2011. Sadly also like SB 58 these bills have rotted in committee (so far). Judiciary Chairman John Walsh has told Rep. LeBlanc his bills will receive a hearing. However, on February 3, 2012 in the MIRS Newsletter Walsh was quoted as saying "we have had a busy agenda and we're not close to a hearing at all".

I had the pleasure to speak to State Representative Richard LeBlanc just a few minutes ago. I asked him:
    What can the firearms community in Michigan do to help you get HB 4009/4010 Passed?
    He told me this:
    I understand what it's like to be a committee chairman so I won't tell you to have people call Walsh and go after him. Here's what I'd ask your people to do: Call their own State Representative and relay to them they would like to see the Judiciary Committee Address HB 4009 and 4010 -- ask them to relay that to Representative Walsh.
    Here's where you get involved

So folks, you heard the man, now lets' get to work -- just like we did with SB 58, here's the plan:

Phase 1. Find out how to contact your State Representative:
    This website will help you find your Representative's Webpage. Their phone number will be on that page.

Phase 2. Pick up the phone and call (don't email) your representative and give them the message. If you're a bit lost for words, here's what you can say:

Hello, I'd like to speak to a staffer about a bill that is sitting with the House Judiciary Committee.
    Once you are on the phone with the appropriate staffer say this:

Hi, my name is (insert name) and I am a constituent of Representative (Insert your Representative's name here) and a friend of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. I live in (Insert the name of your City, Township, Village, etc.).

The reason I am calling today is to urge my representative to make sure action is taken on HB 4009 and HB 4010. These bills would expand the rights of law abiding citizens who have obtained their Concealed Pistol License to carry their firearms for the protection of themselves and the people they love. Currently HB 4009 and 4010 are assigned to the Judiciary Committee where they have sat for over a year.

These bills are very important to me and I don't want to see them die in committee. I'd like my representative to have a conversation with Chairman John Walsh about getting these bills addressed in committee and moved to the floor, where I hope my representative will support them. Please pass on my message. Let me give you my phone number in case my representative has any questions or would like to contact me.
    That's it folks. Just one person to call this time. It will take you less than 5 minutes to look up the phone number for your representative and call them.

Can I ask for your help one more time in making a difference for our individual freedom in Michigan? I hope I can, our Liberty is counting on it.

Most sincerely,

Phillip Hofmeister
    President
    Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
    PHofmeister@miopencarry.org
    Last edited by TheQ; 02-06-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Unhappy Dang it..

My State Rep (Geiss) & My Senator (Hopgood) are both anti's Is there anyone else I can contact to help out Q?
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    My State Rep (Geiss) & My Senator (Hopgood) are both anti's Is there anyone else I can contact to help out Q?
    I'm in the same boat, brother. Call them anyways even if you're wasting your breath.

I'm meeting my very anti state representative in person on Thursday.
    Last edited by TheQ; 02-06-2012 at 10:08 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Bump. Come on people, let's make some calls!

Made mine this morning. I got his voice mail, not a person or an aide so I still left a good message asking him for his support of these bills.

Ttt

I checked the district where I grew up and my mom still lives. The rep is a guy who was a year or two ahead of me in school. Not really helpful, we weren't friends or anything. It was just surprising to click the button and see a picture of him.

^^ This is why I'm going to tell my children to always be friends with the quiet, shy, nerdy kid in school...because one day he will grow up and be rich or in a position of power and everyone could use a friend like that!
    The worst weapon is the human mind, its created and done things far worse than a gun can, has, or ever will. Its the human mind that tells the gun what to do and animates the inanimate object.

With all these gun control laws in place I have yet to find a single one that has saved someones life, but I can find hundreds of stories where a gun has.

Banned
    We need to actually get people in our group to run for the offices, instead of begging politicians to give us our rights back.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    We need to actually get people in our group to run for the offices, instead of begging politicians to give us our rights back.

+1
    Person in Home Depot: "Do you really think you need that?"
    Me: "I hope not. But then again, I didn't need my seatbelt on the way here either."