Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: East Kentucky Open Carry Group - Meet & Greet

East Kentucky Open Carry Group - Meet & Greet

OK, things have settled down, somewhat I guess and I've finally gotten around to looking at the calendar finally. *LOL*

We'll plan to meet once again at the Ashalnd Golden Corral at 12 noon on Feb. 18th.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

WOOT!!! Hopefully we get a better turn out this time. I hope undertaker and ratrod didn't take too much offense to what I said.

Do you ever read your PMs?

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    WOOT!!! Hopefully we get a better turn out this time. I hope undertaker and ratrod didn't take too much offense to what I said.

Do you ever read your PMs?
    Yes, I'd like to see twice as many people turn out for this one but an equal number turn out will be just fine with me, considering that this is just the second M&G. No, i didn't know that I had any PM's waiting, I'll have to go check. *LOL*
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

Why Ashland? is it the only good sized city in the eastern half of our state? Christ man, it's on the WVA border, the M&G should be called "KY/WVA Meet" :P

Why not move the M&G around to various Eastern KY cities, instead of the extreme eastern city of Ashland? Like Grayson, Morehead, Flemingsburg, Pikeville, Salyersville, Brethitt, Harlan, Richmond(or is richmond Central?)?

That'd be kinda nice, xD But I might be greedy and biased, I mean, Ashland is closer by 10miles to me than Louisville, after all :P~
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Activist Member
    I believe most of us are fairly close to ashland, especially the guys from Ohio. I wouldn't have a problem driving to morehead, if people will actually attend from farther west. Why drive though when everyone that is attending is near Ashland? Would anyone west of morehead come for sure? If so maybe we can meet there?

I'm from Lexington, and I think I'd rather drive to morehead then Ashland lol

I live in morehead so I would definately be there.

Last M&G we had three from prestonsburg, that is already an hour drive from ashland. I drove 30min with my girlfriend and the other two was from Ashland.

Wish I could come, but I live in Radcliff ky. So its almost a 4 hour drive :/ Maybe we should also have a greet in Lousiville or maybe Radcliff/Fort knox area eh?

Activist Member
    There could always be more than one. People from western Ky meet up, and people from eastern Ky meet up. It would be hard to find a good location for the whole state. If we had one in louisville, itd be
    Over a 3 hour drive for those of us near Ashland.

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    There could always be more than one. People from western Ky meet up, and people from eastern Ky meet up. It would be hard to find a good location for the whole state. If we had one in louisville, itd be
    Over a 3 hour drive for those of us near Ashland.
    Very true.

Drake, I understand what you're saying and it would be nice to have it so that everyone could come but that's totally impossible to do reasonable. This is an Eastern Kentucky meet up, not a Central or western Kentucky meet up. I'd personally love for others to get out there an establish meet up's for other areas like what we're trying to do over here.

The reason for Ashland is very simple. It has much more to offer in the way of diversions for those that have travelled to the M&G. There's a great gun store (Border's), a very nice mall (Ashland Mall & Kyova Mall) as well as some of the best doughnuts you'll ever find (Jolly Pirate). I've been to Morehead and no disrespect to the city or those that live there but it would be like having the M&G in Prestonsburg or Paintsville! Trust me, it would be alot easier for some of us just to hold it in our hometown but then we'd not get very many folks to attend.

As for the Lexington?Louisville crowds, I'd love to have them attend as well but I understand that it's a long ways for them to drive and I honestly don't expect them to drive all the way over here for an M&G, that's why they have their own in the Central Kentucky cities. We welcome anyone that cares to make the effot to attend, no mater where they're from.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by neuroblades View Post
    Drake, I understand what you're saying and it would be nice to have it so that everyone could come but that's totally impossible to do reasonable. This is an Eastern Kentucky meet up, not a Central or western Kentucky meet up. I'd personally love for others to get out there an establish meet up's for other areas like what we're trying to do over here.

The reason for Ashland is very simple. It has much more to offer in the way of diversions for those that have travelled to the M&G. There's a great gun store (Border's), a very nice mall (Ashland Mall & Kyova Mall) as well as some of the best doughnuts you'll ever find (Jolly Pirate). I've been to Morehead and no disrespect to the city or those that live there but it would be like having the M&G in Prestonsburg or Paintsville! Trust me, it would be alot easier for some of us just to hold it in our hometown but then we'd not get very many folks to attend.

As for the Lexington?Louisville crowds, I'd love to have them attend as well but I understand that it's a long ways for them to drive and I honestly don't expect them to drive all the way over here for an M&G, that's why they have their own in the Central Kentucky cities. We welcome anyone that cares to make the effot to attend, no mater where they're from.
    Since when does Eastern Kentucky -only- include Ashland, and the people near said city? Last time I checked, I reside in Eastern Ky. My lil stickler comes from some people in Ashland calling their meet as being Eastern Kentucky based, when that's not true, it's like false advertisement. It would be like me going to Somerset, making a meet there of people from around Somerset, and Tenn., and labeling it "Central Ky M&G".

I'm not saying theres anything wrong with your meet, and if I could afford to drive some hundred miles one way, I'd gladly attend. But my beef is the exclusion of other Cities into a so-called "Eastern Kentucky" thing. I've only been to Ashland twice, not much to see while on 64, and not that exciting, I'm not dissing the city, or the people, I'm sure it had plenty of fun things to do. But, I mean, so does Pikeville, Mt. Sterling, Morehead, West Liberty, Campton, etc. You just have to have someone from the area to show you around the lil nooks n' crannys.

Just don't call it an Eastern Kentucky based event, when it really isn't.

Also, Buckeyes want to meet up, let 'em stay in their own state, and have their own greets :/.

---

Wouldn't really be that hard to find a location for the entire state to meet up at. I mean, Frankfort is pretty much in the center of our state, if it's good enough for our general assembly, and governor, should be good enough for us, right?

---
    KYGlockster

I believe most of us are fairly close to ashland, especially the guys from Ohio. I wouldn't have a problem driving to morehead, if people will actually attend from farther west. Why drive though when everyone that is attending is near Ashland? Would anyone west of morehead come for sure? If so maybe we can meet there?

-Ah, I'm sorry, I hadn't realized the majority of the people on this sub-forum was so close to Ashland, I'll just excuse myself, and go hang with the minority of people who OC who live in other parts of the state.

----

I'm sorry for my hostility, It's more than a bit of a pet peeve to see a small group claiming to represent a large area or region, when in fact they dont, and are very adamant about staying in one small area, and not embracing other choices and stuff. Comes from seeing other groups of people on many other forums doing the same thing for years. The Anti's did it when I was apart of their ranks in my younger days, the LGBT community did it (think more like 'Kentucky LGBT meeting' located ONLY in Louisville), or the local anthro/furry community who thought "Kyfurs" meant Covington only.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    Since when does Eastern Kentucky -only- include Ashland, and the people near said city? Last time I checked, I reside in Eastern Ky. My lil stickler comes from some people in Ashland calling their meet as being Eastern Kentucky based, when that's not true, it's like false advertisement. It would be like me going to Somerset, making a meet there of people from around Somerset, and Tenn., and labeling it "Central Ky M&G".

I'm not saying theres anything wrong with your meet, and if I could afford to drive some hundred miles one way, I'd gladly attend. But my beef is the exclusion of other Cities into a so-called "Eastern Kentucky" thing. I've only been to Ashland twice, not much to see while on 64, and not that exciting, I'm not dissing the city, or the people, I'm sure it had plenty of fun things to do. But, I mean, so does Pikeville, Mt. Sterling, Morehead, West Liberty, Campton, etc. You just have to have someone from the area to show you around the lil nooks n' crannys.

Just don't call it an Eastern Kentucky based event, when it really isn't.

Also, Buckeyes want to meet up, let 'em stay in their own state, and have their own greets :/.

---

Wouldn't really be that hard to find a location for the entire state to meet up at. I mean, Frankfort is pretty much in the center of our state, if it's good enough for our general assembly, and governor, should be good enough for us, right?

---
    KYGlockster

-Ah, I'm sorry, I hadn't realized the majority of the people on this sub-forum was so close to Ashland, I'll just excuse myself, and go hang with the minority of people who OC who live in other parts of the state.

----

I'm sorry for my hostility, It's more than a bit of a pet peeve to see a small group claiming to represent a large area or region, when in fact they dont, and are very adamant about staying in one small area, and not embracing other choices and stuff. Comes from seeing other groups of people on many other forums doing the same thing for years. The Anti's did it when I was apart of their ranks in my younger days, the LGBT community did it (think more like 'Kentucky LGBT meeting' located ONLY in Louisville), or the local anthro/furry community who thought "Kyfurs" meant Covington only.
    100% for sure that Ashland is farther east (Eastern KY M&G) than Morehead. Want me to send a link to google maps? If people from Ohio want to join? Let them join. We don't exclude anyone. Just because YOU can't come doesn't make it any less of an eastern KY m&g. It is only 59mi one way, just shy of your "some hundred miles one way". If you didn't even get off of 64 then you didn't even make it to ashland, 64 runs south of ashland. Go to Sumerset and have a "Central" KY M&G, no one would cry because they can't make it.

No wonder I don't post often, to much bickering and whining.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgm2414 View Post
    No wonder I don't post often, to much bickering and whining.
    I have to apologize for all this, Cgm2414. I understand what Drake's saying, I felt kind of the same way when those in Central Kentucky had M&G's and I couldn't make it because it was too far away to drive for a 2 hour meeting. The difference is that I realized, unlike Drake that that was my personal problem, not the problem of the group itself.

As for Drake's issue with us calling it the Eastern Kentucky Open Carry group. We are in Eastern Kentucky and the meeting is being held in Eastern Kentucky. I, nor anyone else have ever said that someone else can't do a M&G in other eastern based cities. It's not like we have a patent on it or anything. *LOL* We invite others to go out and do M&G's in their respective areas and if those are close enough and we're available, we might even attend theirs as well.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by neuroblades View Post
    I have to apologize for all this, Cgm2414. I understand what Drake's saying, I felt kind of the same way when those in Central Kentucky had M&G's and I couldn't make it because it was too far away to drive for a 2 hour meeting. The difference is that I realized, unlike Drake that that was my personal problem, not the problem of the group itself.

As for Drake's issue with us calling it the Eastern Kentucky Open Carry group. We are in Eastern Kentucky and the meeting is being held in Eastern Kentucky. I, nor anyone else have ever said that someone else can't do a M&G in other eastern based cities. It's not like we have a patent on it or anything. *LOL* We invite others to go out and do M&G's in their respective areas and if those are close enough and we're available, we might even attend theirs as well.
    There is nothing to apologize for, it just seems this has rattled some nerves around here. It is a 45 minute drive for me, depending on the day sometimes less. I may come if I get the funds together, if I am not mistaken, it's by Arby's and hobby lobby, correct?
    Last edited by Cgm2414; 02-08-2012 at 11:47 AM.

There is nothing to apologize for, it just seems this has rattled some nerves around here. It is a 45 minute drive for me, depending on the day sometimes less. I may come if I get the funds together, if I am not mistaken, it's by Arby's and hobby lobby, correct?
    Yea, you know where it is at. It is close to a 45 min drive for me with the traffic of ashland.

i may pass on this one, ashland is little over 2 hr drive for me

Yeah, I know what you mean, it's about 1.5 hours drive for us to Ashland from where I reside. If you can make it, we'd love to have you present.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

M&G

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley99 View Post
    Wish I could come, but I live in Radcliff ky. So its almost a 4 hour drive :/ Maybe we should also have a greet in Lousiville or maybe Radcliff/Fort knox area eh?
    Hurley,

I have to agree with you. I would love to go to a M&G that was within the E-town, Radcliff area.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis C View Post
    i may pass on this one, ashland is little over 2 hr drive for me
    I can fully understand that Curtis. 2 hours is a very long drive for a meet & greet. I know how you feel, it's the same way I felt when I read about the Central Kentucky M&G's, I wanted to go but it was just too far.

Do what I did here, pitch the idea of a M&G in your general location, figure for about a month or month and a half in the future and toss the idea out there and see if enough folks get back to you, that's what we did over here.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

The great thing is that if one doesn't like the location of this M&G, they are perfectly free to have a M&G in their area and call it what ever they wish.

Quote Originally Posted by flb_78 View Post
    The great thing is that if one doesn't like the location of this M&G, they are perfectly free to have a M&G in their area and call it what ever they wish.
    Exactly, the more the merrier.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

if that is the case i would propose one at my dads place. bring your guns and ammo and have a day of shooting. he has 15 acres. that's the only suggestion i have at the moment lol.
    Last edited by Curtis C; 02-10-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast