• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More proof that gunshow policies are dumb.

TheSzerdi

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Explain how a man shooting himself is caused by a gun show policy. Negligent discharges are caused by careless people not policies.

stainless1911

Banned
When the law, or policy requires that a person disarm, they increase the amount of time that a gun is handled. Mathematically, this increases the probability that a mistake can be made, resulting in an NG.

The laws and policies share in the blame.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
When the law, or policy requires that a person disarm, they increase the amount of time that a gun is handled. Mathematically, this increases the probability that a mistake can be made, resulting in an NG.

The laws and policies share in the blame.

I disagree, NDs are caused solely by the individual. How much time a person spends handling it has nothing to do with. Follow the basic safety rules and you will avoid a ND every time. There's a reason it's called negligent.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Its a human thing. People screw up, even wth the best of intentions, and the best of training. Its an unavoidable statistical fact that these policies will result in thefts and shootings.

Really, you have a cite for that? How is a policy at fault for someone screwing up? I don't like the policy, but don't blame it for someone's ineptitude. People screw up- you got that part right.

Last edited:

MilProGuy

...NDs are caused solely by the individual..

...Follow the basic safety rules and you will avoid a ND every time.

These two statements say it all!
icon14.png
icon14.png

TheSzerdi

At one gun show I went to they had a barrel of sand to point your gun at while unloading your chambered round. It had holes in it.

Gotta say, when they first pointed me to the barrel of sand to unload the first thought to cross my mind was, 'You gotta be kidding me . . . am I supposed to fire into this thing or what?!?"

(I did NOT shoot the barrel of sand.)

Admittedly it is the ignorant owners fault, but the policies / laws don't help. Accidents happen, even to responsible gun owners. Most cases it's a negligent discharge, but not always.

Example hypothetical accident: Non-CPL holder unholstering to put his/her gun in the trunk slips on ice and reflexively clenches his/her hand. A finger could slip into the guard and fire the weapon. (Double actions like Glocks don't have manual safeties. Round chambered means you're hot.)

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
There are three types of people; ones who have experienced an accidental discharge, those who will, and those who THINK it will never happen to them (A.K.A. damn fools).

Needlessly requiring law abiding persons to disarm / unload for no logical reason simply increases the odds that it will happen.

Me? I walk away from criminal empowerment zones; may they wither & die. Nothing in there concerns me; I vote with my feet & wallet.:eek:

Did get a couple of sweet deals at On Target and Bullets & Barrels while fully armed.:cool:

stainless1911

Banned
What would you do if you were without a CPL? Could you effectively function outside of those criminal empowerment zones?

You're right though, there are 3 types. I had an ND once, as a teen with a gun that I shouldn't have had. Nobody taught me about guns, was an "adult" thing or something. This is one reason I teach my kids young.

Last edited:

TheQ

I carry a Springfield XDm -- "locked and loaded", of course.

The only thing that stands between me and a discharge is a backstrap safety and a trigger safety. SOOOOOOOO -- When I go to bed, I wrap it in a towel and stick it under my pillow. Before I do this I take the chambered round out (I know about set-back, don't preach to me, please) and I leave it with a loaded magazine and an empty chamber. (I'm not interested in anyone's comments or opinions about how I store my weapon overnight -- unwanted feedback will be duly ignored.)

This to say -- I load and unload my weapon nearly every day. Not one ND or even close to an ND.

Learning safe habits goes along way. Some people are stupid, even stupid people have RKBA. Whether or not some people should own weapons is up for debate, but I will never advocate for infringing on their rights.

LEARN SAFE HANDLING TECHNIQUES BEFORE YOU CARRY A GUN!!!!

Last edited:

SpringerXDacp

Removing the unloaded and tied policies at gun shows will not stop ND's. IIRC, many of the ND's were from vendors that,

A: Unholstered their so-called unloaded pistol to allow a costumer to handle...Bang. Vendor(s) retrieve pistol...Bang.
B: Unholstered their so-called unloaded pistol to show/showoff to customer...Bang.

Also, IIRC, there were a couple of ND's by off-duty LEO's acting as security. Those ND's, I guess, were the holsters fault or they claimed something (debris) was in the holster that was the cause of the ND.

Last edited:

.40S&W

At one gun show I went to they had a barrel of sand to point your gun at while unloading your chambered round. It had holes in it.

Gotta say, when they first pointed me to the barrel of sand to unload the first thought to cross my mind was, 'You gotta be kidding me . . . am I supposed to fire into this thing or what?!?"

(I did NOT shoot the barrel of sand.)

That's a military thing. We had to do it when I was in the Army. It's not there for you to shoot into, it's there in the case of an AD. Murphy's Law folks.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Some folks are expounding the theory that the more times you handle a gun the more likely you are to have a negligent discharge. This is flat out false. I have loaded/unloaded dozens of different types of guns. Rifles, pistols, shotguns, revolvers- all different styles and calibers- I have never had an ND. If the the myth were true, I should have had a ND by now. I'll say it again, if you follow the basic rules of firearm safety you will NEVER have a negligent discharge.