• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

owning a handgun at 19

weston502

i know you have to be 21 but it is legal to buy one from someone if you are 18 and over correct. i dont want to break any laws. sorry if its on the wrong forum

bigdaddy1

I am somewhat sure that you can have one, but can not purchase one or have a CCL. You can open carry however.

Last edited:

protias

You can own and OC at 18, but you must be 21 to buy from a FFL. Now, 18-20 year olds can still buy from private sales (or gifts).

pkbites

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For legal advice consult an attorney.

I am a Federally Licensed Firearms Dealer, and a Wisconsin peace officer.

A person under 21 cannot purchase a handgun from a licensed dealer.
A person over 18 can have a handgun given to them, and can posses a handgun in Wisconsin.
A Person over 18 but under 21 can legally open carry but cannot get a concealed carry license.

So what could trip a 19 year old up is the school zone problem. Without a CCW license one cannot carry within 1000 feet of a school zone, openly or concealed. Be careful when in a city/town/village area.

And then there is the problem of cops that are ignorant of the law. Spending 72 hours in jail and then not getting charged still sucks even after you receive your settlement check.

I am not a lawyer, this has not been legal advice.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
PK: Don't forget about the "private property" exception to the school zone. If you/me/we are on private property we can OC without any permit. We can carry in the private parking lot of the store/business directly across the street from the school, as well as in the store/business.

Also, I don;t recommend carrying in places that are clearly posted.

Just my $0.02

HolyOrangeJuice

A family member or someone close can buy one and "Gift" it to you. You can find someone who owns one and buy it from them. Gunshows, but even there a lot won't sell to under 21. Ammunition is the same you cannot buy centerfire pistol rounds from any stores. Must buy them from someone or have someone buy it for you.

I am 20 and OC my handgun. The school zone thing is if you knowlingly are in a school zone. To be honest if you are going to walmart, gas station, ect you are safe as far as I know because your on private property of the business. Don't go into posted places and leave if non posted store owners ask.

Good luck

xd40 neenah

OP, You are correct. Be safe. I carried when I was 20 after I bought private sale. No big deal, I have never had a confrontation with LE.

Carry on.