• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

a little reminder to myself

oliverclotheshoff

on why i carry in the woods
on 2/14/12 on our property outside of new lisbon about 10 miles as the crow flies from the necedah wildlife refuge my family and i were out looking for sheds and we came across this track following a deer trail and that is my sons boot next to it the boot measures 8.5" long and 3.5" wide it dwarfed my pitbulls foot print it shadowed the deer trail for about 75 yards

i think it might be a chihuahua or a pug lol

DSC00261.jpg

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Definitely pugs mark after a couple of days becoming a sun-cup.

Firearms Iinstuctor

on 2/14/12 on our property outside of new lisbon about 10 miles as the crow flies from the necedah wildlife refuge my family and i were out looking for sheds and we came across this track following a deer trail and that is my sons boot next to it the boot measures 8.5" long and 3.5" wide it dwarfed my pitbulls foot print it shadowed the deer trail for about 75 yards

View attachment 7916

A fair number of wolves down that way I almost picked one off with the SUV as it crossed the freeway atTomah.

oliverclotheshoff

The good news.....

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99166-Good-news-for-Wis-Wolves

No matter where you go.... "Be Carefull Out There".....

Outdoorsman1

that is not good news all it does is give people who dont like the idea of wolves in this state (there are alot of them and i know a few) a free reason to dispatch a great animal and get away with it
now dont get me wrong if i was in a situation where a wolf was eye balling me or my family i would do what is necessary to stay alive

Outdoorsman1

that is not good news all it does is give people who dont like the idea of wolves in this state (there are alot of them and i know a few) a free reason to dispatch a great animal and get away with it
now dont get me wrong if i was in a situation where a wolf was eye balling me or my family i would do what is necessary to stay alive

Now don't get me wrong... My username is not just a username it is who and what I am... I also highly value the sanctity of any life and would never condone killing for any reason other than to put food on the table, in self defense, or to put a suffering animal beyond help out of it's misery (Last June, I had to have my Black Lab of 16 years put down due to age realted health reasons).

What I meant was... The "Good News" is that under circumstances of self defense, you will no longer have to worry about being charged for killing an animal listed on the Federal Endangered Species List.

I apologize for not being more clear in my original statement...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

oliverclotheshoff

i understand what you are saying and i assumed by your name your were an outdoorsy person but i still stand by my gun that the DNR will fudge this whole thing up and you will see the wolf population either not grow or dwindle down due the people who dont like wolves will use it as an excuse to get rid of a great creature

self defense from an animal whether it be endangered or not i feel would be moot due to the fact that if it truly was self defense i think a court would have a hard time saying/proving/prosecuting that the life of an animal is worth more than a persons life is

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

I think that anyone who does not like wolves in WI. to the extent of wanting them gone no matter what, would have no problem killing one (or more) (in a remote wooded area) and not worry about any legal ramifications.....

As well as I would have to wonder if the self defense killing of an animal listed as an endagererd species on the federal level would be an automatic "get out of jail free" card simply because it was in self defence...(?)

At least we agree on the fact that the wolf in and of itself is a magnificent animal.

As far as "carrying" for wolf protection, we both know that wolves hunt in packs and if one ever found himself actually having to defend from a wolf attack, I think the fact that a sidearm for wolf defense becomes a moot point.... You might get one or two, but the third or fouth will get you....:eek:

Just Sayin....

Outdoorsman1

oliverclotheshoff

I think that anyone who does not like wolves in WI. to the extent of wanting them gone no matter what, would have no problem killing one (or more) (in a remote wooded area) and not worry about any legal ramifications..... i agree but i have heard of people in sauk dane and juneau counties say if the see one it will have a "heart attack and disapear"

As well as I would have to wonder if the self defense killing of an animal listed as an endagererd species on the federal level would be an automatic "get out of jail free" card simply because it was in self defence...(?) i dont think it would be a get out of jail free either im sure there would be a hearing but it still boils done to whos life is worth more an animal (no matter what the endangerment level) or a persons
self defense is self defense

At least we agree on the fact that the wolf in and of itself is a magnificent animal.

As far as "carrying" for wolf protection, we both know that wolves hunt in packs and if one ever found himself actually having to defend from a wolf attack, I think the fact that a sidearm for wolf defense becomes a moot point.... You might get one or two, but the third or fouth will get you....:eek: that is true but at least i have a way to try and with any other wildlife as soon as the big bang is heard that in itself would be a scare tactic and would hopefully make em scatter

Just Sayin.... me too wish we could do this over a beer and pizza

Outdoorsman1
bolded are my words

Last edited:

tomm1963

Werewolf alert!

View attachment 7916

Remember to load up with silver bullets!

american-werewolf-in-london-lifesize-1.jpg

duckdog

I'll respect your opinion, but my it would not hurt my feelings if every one of them were gone. We have far too many of them where I'm at. If it didn't cost so much, they should move all wolves south of highway 29, and better yet, down by Madison. I think you'd see a lot of attitiudes change.

Most people would think differently of they had their hunting dog gutted by a wolf or pack of wolves for a snack. We hunt knowing the risks of bears and maybe cats now, when we go hunting, but wolves were taken out of the equation long ago for valid reasons... in my humble opinion.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I think that anyone who does not like wolves in WI. to the extent of wanting them gone no matter what, would have no problem killing one (or more) (in a remote wooded area) and not worry about any legal ramifications.....

As well as I would have to wonder if the self defense killing of an animal listed as an endagererd species on the federal level would be an automatic "get out of jail free" card simply because it was in self defence...(?)

As far as "carrying" for wolf protection, we both know that wolves hunt in packs and if one ever found himself actually having to defend from a wolf attack, I think the fact that a sidearm for wolf defense becomes a moot point.... You might get one or two, but the third or fouth will get you....:eek:

Just Sayin....

Outdoorsman1

As with more gangs be they human or wild animals after the frist couple go down the rest well be running. Or they well be shot like the rest of them Unless you carry a single shot or double barrel for a defensive weapon even then one can reload.

Actual I see more lone wolves and pairs then I ever see packs. But then I did see 13 pups at one time two differant litters togather as there was too differant size pups.

Grizz272

I came home from work about a month ago @ 3am. The local coyote pack was hunting. I heard the yipping as soon as I got out of my truck about half way to the house the HOLLOWING started. They were in the woods in front of the house and along the stream next to the house. There were 6 distinct voices. The Hollowing was real spooky. The rabbits have also disappeared.

Bushmaster

View attachment 7916

http://www.channel3000.com/news/29555507/detail.html
R & R shooters has trail cam pics taken just north of newlisbon of the little kitty.

Last edited: