• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

a little reminder to myself

JJC

I'll respect your opinion, but my it would not hurt my feelings if every one of them were gone. We have far too many of them where I'm at. If it didn't cost so much, they should move all wolves south of highway 29, and better yet, down by Madison. I think you'd see a lot of attitiudes change.

Most people would think differently of they had their hunting dog gutted by a wolf or pack of wolves for a snack. We hunt knowing the risks of bears and maybe cats now, when we go hunting, but wolves were taken out of the equation long ago for valid reasons... in my humble opinion.

IMHO there's nothing to worry about. I've came across wolfs in the woods, and as soon as they say me they turned and high-tailed it in the oposite direction. Like the rest of the wild animals they don't like to be around humans. Of course one never knows what a sick or old wolf who can't catch supper would do about hunting a human. But take out the leader if attacked and the rest will run for cover, after using the now expired leader for lunch.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Does anyone have any evidence of a healthy wolf or wolves attacking humans? I don't mean humans that are attacking the wolves getting attacked by defensive Wolves. The only wolf attack or attacks I have ever heard of were from people attacking them or of a sick wolf.

Anyone have any real data on wolves attacking people?

I do know that wolves attack dogs, cats, and just about anything else out there and I've seen the effects of a wolf on a hunting dog. There was nothing left of the dog except the head and spine.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Does anyone have any evidence of a healthy wolf or wolves attacking humans? I don't mean humans that are attacking the wolves getting attacked by defensive Wolves. The only wolf attack or attacks I have ever heard of were from people attacking them or of a sick wolf.

I do know that wolves attack dogs, cats, and just about anything else out there and I've seen the effects of a wolf on a hunting dog. There was nothing left of the dog except the head and spine.

Yes there was a women school treacher attacked and eaten in AK last year by a pack. Just do a google search and you'll find several attacks. Their was one from MN a young man was out deer hunting and was attack by a lone wolf he was able to fight it off. Story told in outdoor life I belive.

The myth that wolves don't attack is promoted by the anti's. One of the reason there hasn't been more up until 73 they were shot on sight that didn't leave many left to attack. Years ago every body was armed wolves died if they got to close. Who knows how many people who left the tribe or hunters ect who just didn't come back when this country was young.

Their is lot of evidence from Europe that wovles have killed and eaten lots of people over the years lots of unarmed people there.

scm54449

Opt-Out Members

Google or Bing and two minutes of time can begin to answer your question. That said, from 2005 through current I am aware of three unprovoked attacks on humans by healthy wolves in North America. These attacks took place in Alaska, Saskatchewan, and Idaho. The attack in Idaho was stopped at 10 feet by a bowhunter who was also carrying a revolver while the attacks in Alaska and Saskatchewan were fatal. I'm afraid I can't provide a cite but IIRC, I read the report of a tracker in the fatal Saskatchewan attack who could see evidence the pack had trailed the victim and could see where both the victim and the pack began to run. I also know of an individual whose german shorthair was attacked and killed by wolves as they walked on a gravel road in a county campground near Otter Lake in Lincoln County in Wisconsin.

At this time the likelihood of attack for most of us is remote, but as the wolf's range and numbers increase and more and more humans are found in the same areas, the risks and the attacks are likely to increase.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Yes there was a women school treacher attacked and eaten in AK last year by a pack. Just do a google search and you'll find several attacks.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35913715/ns/us_news-life/t/fatal-wolf-attack-unnerves-alaska-village/
MSNBC said:
Rare fatality
It was the first fatal wolf attack in Alaska, and only the second documented case of a wild wolf killing a human in North America. There are an estimated 60,000 to 70,000 wolves in North America, including 7,700 to 11,200 in Alaska.

In the only other documented fatality, a pack of wolves killed Kenton Joel, a 22-year-old Ontario engineering student, in the woods of northern Saskatchewan on Nov. 8, 2005. Carnegie had gone for an afternoon hike and didn’t return to the surveyors camp where he was working. Authorities said at the time that wolves were drawn to the remote area because people had been leaving garbage in open dumps.

theoicarry

I came home from work about a month ago @ 3am. The local coyote pack was hunting. I heard the yipping as soon as I got out of my truck about half way to the house the HOLLOWING started. They were in the woods in front of the house and along the stream next to the house. There were 6 distinct voices. The Hollowing was real spooky. The rabbits have also disappeared.

Have you found that Wolves push coyotes out of the area?

Firearms Iinstuctor

Have you found that Wolves push coyotes out of the area?

What I have found living in prime wolf country and hunting coyotes with hounds on a regular basics. That we find wolf and coyote tracks in the same areas.

I have found fresh tracks of both close togather. We tend to avoid the areas that the wolves are working that day.

Wolves cover a lot more area in a night then coyotes. It is not uncommon to follow their tracks after a fresh snow for miles down a road where as a coyote just doesn't go as far.