• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

military base carry debate

SFCRetired

Ya ever stop and think that military 'leaders' kind of have a clue as to the average enlisted person's temperament and such. I'm not necessarily stating that policies that prohibit carry may not have a small, very small, element of anti-gun in them, but it may be more of mitigating potential problems due to the wide variety of backgrounds that the military has to deal with. Kind of difficult to figure out who is/would be a responsible carrier, so, just make it easy, nobody gets to carry except when their job requires them to carry. No going to the club and knocking back a few frost friendlies while on duty sort of thing.

Ft. Hood remains the rare, very rare, exception.

Quite frankly, I would be far more concerned about the average commissioned officer's temperament and such. I trusted my young enlisted men and women a whole lot more than I trusted the majority of the officers (and warrant officers) I knew. One of the officers I knew had the annoying habit of putting on a "cute little girl" act (female officer) when speaking to senior enlisted. This West Point graduate is, the last time I looked, a lieutenant colonel and still doesn't have a clue.

On top of that, I, and most other senior NCOs (not the "lifer" sergeants), trained our soldiers. One of the things we trained was small arms marksmanship with an additional emphasis on safety.

I know a senior NCO on duty right now who assures me that the NCOs of the Army, and I would suspect of the other services, still actively train their soldiers in all of the soldier skills that I worked on.

For what it is worth, I am much more inclined to believe it is the Nervous Nellie civilians who pushed the "No Guns on Base" business than the military leadership.

Gil223

Quite frankly, I would be far more concerned about the average commissioned officer's temperament and such.

I completely agree with you, SFC! To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a scientific study done, so there are no statistics to quote. But, my 20+ years of experience in the military makes be believe that, on a per capita basis, the average junior officer is no better emotionally balanced than is a slick sleeve enlisted person. My personal belief is that the enlisted man will mature more rapidly, because the enlisted are charged with the hands-on responsiblity to schedule, assemble, inspect, maintain and repair mission essential equipment. They are also responsible for the hands-on logistics involved in the scheduling, loading, transport and issuance of that equipment - as well as support equipment and supplies. The officer corps is in-place primarily for "management" and "span of control". Who actually makes the military function? The enlisted Senior NCO, and his subordinates.

But, the real issue, as stated by the OP, is "temperament". I would be every bit as comfortable, if not more so, around armed junior enlisted personnel as I would junior officers. Enlisted don't seem to be as likely to 'throw a fit' when things don't go the way they planned. Pax... :)

Aknazer

The military can limit, restrict, infringe upon your rights while you serve. That 'maintaining good order and discipline' thing. This is not about our right(s) so much as it is about the military, a separate and distinctly unique 'society' within the USA. SCOTUS has recognized and affirmed this 'uniqueness'.

Of the original 10 amendments (Bill of Rights) the military can legally infringe, in one form or another, and to a certain extent, upon your 1st, 2nd, 4th, some of your 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th enumerated rights. And there is not a darn thing anyone can do about it today and for the foreseeable future. I'll leave it to you former military folks to recall when the military did the infringing, because they did whether you noticed it or not.

Why we here on OCDO focus on the 2nd of the original 10 and not every other instance of infringement of the others, by the military, is perplexing to say the least.

But, we all have a right to be inconsistent, anytime we choose.

That whole "maintaining good order and discipline" thing is the commerce clause of the military. They don't even have to have a reason for how it applies. Hell the whole thing about having to register guns that were offbase with the armory was done via the "good order and discipline" bit. Luckily congress stepped in for that one, but generally you're stuck dealing with it.

Also the fact that this is a 2A board probably has something to do with the focus on 2A infringements. Especially when the arguements for those infringements don't hold water.

Daylen

That whole "maintaining good order and discipline" thing is the commerce clause of the military. They don't even have to have a reason for how it applies. Hell the whole thing about having to register guns that were offbase with the armory was done via the "good order and discipline" bit. Luckily congress stepped in for that one, but generally you're stuck dealing with it.

Also the fact that this is a 2A board probably has something to do with the focus on 2A infringements. Especially when the arguements for those infringements don't hold water.

Some of the founders, even warned against giving the federal government control of the militia because if all able bodied males were in the militia then regulating the militia was regulating the populace and could be used to do anything. Very similar to the warnings about the commerce clause.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Of the original 10 amendments (Bill of Rights) the military can legally infringe, in one form or another, and to a certain extent, upon your 1st, 2nd, 4th, some of your 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th enumerated rights. And there is not a darn thing anyone can do about it today and for the foreseeable future. I'll leave it to you former military folks to recall when the military did the infringing, because they did whether you noticed it or not.

Idk OC, we are pretty well set with our 5th amendment rights. Check out article 31 of the UCMJ

OC for ME

Great, my view of the 5th has been refuted, despite my personal experiences, point taken and conceded. The other ones are still on the table.

Bottom line, if we ain't 'in', anymore or ever, we ain;r got any skin in the game.

Aknazer

Someone do something naughty to you without a lawyer present?

I've talked with someone who was "interviewed" by OSI. Let's just say that they are very good at getting into your head and getting information. He now dislikes those that want to go the OSI route.

MilProGuy

You will NOT carry a gun, you will NOT defend yourself on base, you will NOT carry a gun to and from work or any stops during the work day. If you're out on lunch off base and you and your comrades are targets because of your uniform - TOUGH LUCK. The government would rather see your child grow up with out a father than have you carry a gun to and from work for lawful self defense off base. PERIOD

This will NEVER change.

I certainly agree with your assessment that this will never change.

At least, it's highly unlikely that it ever will.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I know I would have shot a few 1st Sgts when I was in .... instead I had to mow them down in my truck (its harder than it sounds!)

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I know I would have shot a few 1st Sgts when I was in

why would you say something like this on our forum?

edit: can a mod remove this? this showing up in a google search hurts our movement

Last edited:

Gil223

I know I would have shot a few 1st Sgts when I was in .... instead I had to mow them down in my truck (its harder than it sounds!)

I'm going to guess that this post is a seriously failed attempt at "humor". However, the only thing I found 'funny' about it, was that the nurses let you access a computer there at the State Hospital! (The last thing a sane person would think about doing, would be come into a firearms related forum, and start jabbering about how they would be killing people!)

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

... and start jabbering about killing people!)
Begs the question, modus ponens, what are people in this context? Logically extending the question, are then "Son of a Gun" or "Knightman" people? Ranks are epithets.

Last edited:

Aknazer

So in other words you're admitting that you killed multiple 1st Sgts...since that is what it means when you say "instead had to mow them down in my truck." You also show part of the reason to carry. You were committed to killing them, couldn't use a gun, so you used your truck to kill them. Pity they couldn't be armed and at least try to defend theirselves.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
why would you say something like this on our forum?

edit: can a mod remove this? this showing up in a google search hurts our movement

+1, this a new poster who has advocated illegal acts in a number of threads. Time for him to go...

Gil223

Begs the question, modus ponens, what are people in this context?

I have never known a 1st Sergeant to be anything other than a person (although some may have had questionable humanity). So, according to modus ponens logic , "a few" 1st Sgts is equal to all people holding the rank of 1st Sgt (even if one of the premises is false). No matter how you look at it, McBeth's statement is scurrilous by impying that (under modus ponens) all 1st Sgts are worthy of injury or death by an act of violence. :mad: Pax...

P.S. IMNSHO he is :banana::banana::banana:!

Last edited:

.40S&W

At the end of the day the military is controlled by civilians. It's a sobering fact.

Eeyore

At the risk of necro-posting, I think this discussion will become timely again, given the obvious-but-not-offically-recognized-as-such terrorist attack in Chattanooga.

I assume that the powers that be will not even contemplate allowing military personnel to carry. They are and will continue to be targets, but military personnel are even less able to defend themselves than most civilians. We will be presented with the image of civilian police or rent-a-cops posted at recruiting offices, Reserve Centers, etc. in order to protect the soldiers. Anybody else find this supremely ironic?