• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

military base carry debate

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Small Arms Instructor/Range Master in my Navy days, a high percentage of folks who got 'qualified' while in, should not be allowed to carry, let alone own, after they got out.

I started running small arms ranges as an e4. OC has spoken Truth.

I have never known a 1st Sergeant to be anything other than a person (although some may have had questionable humanity).

I have held the position of First Sergeant on numerous occasions. I resemble that remark.

And how many know what that's for? :lol:

PRP? had to have a TSBI and stay on PRP because I handled nukes of various sizes.

My experience. I did a great deal of Military funerals. We took M16A2s for the Final Shot. These were not semi ARs, they were full auto rock and rollers. I carried a loaded pistol as the NCOIC. We would have been sitting ducks for a weapon robbery without at least one loaded weapon. Years and years ago, their were bikers of an unknown club attacking perimeter guards at Ft Dix. The had no bullets, so they were an easy target. The fix? Take away the guns and give them nite sticks.

xd shooter

So far, 3 governors have decided to allow their states NG to arm and protect themselves. Maybe the start of a new day.... :)

The Truth

How is this even a question? "Should we arm our military?" Is this la-la-land or what? Who really thinks that members of our own military should not be able carry virtually anywhere? Hell, cops have more rights in that regard.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
There has been an aversion to an armed standing army being let off base since before we became a country.

The discussion about arming service members while on duty will continue to deal with that aversion. Now, as for service members not in uniform and off duty and off base? I see no difference between them and the rest of us -except they are going to. Have to go through the hoops and red tape that will be involved in storage and transport.

stay safe.

twoskinsonemanns

How is this even a question? "Should we arm our military?" Is this la-la-land or what? Who really thinks that members of our own military should not be able carry virtually anywhere? Hell, cops have more rights in that regard.

I am one of those. I believe we could be faced with unintended consequences when removing the restrictions for Obama's standing army to be armed, in uniform, off base. Off duty, out of uniform carrying a personal weapon I certainly wouldn't have a problem with.

The Truth

I am one of those. I believe we could be faced with unintended consequences when removing the restrictions for Obama's standing army to be armed, in uniform, off base. Off duty, out of uniform carrying a personal weapon I certainly wouldn't have a problem with.

The "standing army" is the Federal agencies and local police forces IMO, not the US Military.

twoskinsonemanns

The "standing army" is the Federal agencies and local police forces IMO, not the US Military.

I understand where you're coming from. Of course I want our servicemen to be safe and some changes may be prudent. I just think we should be cautious about the powers of the US military and it's commander in chief outside of war time.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

mnrobitaille

Therein lies part of the problem, how can one trust a CIC who has no military service record?

How many of our elected officials even have military service records?

It's a shame that our family members who are serving are not able to defend themselves unless they're in their own home or in an active combat zone.

I understand where you're coming from. Of course I want our servicemen to be safe and some changes may be prudent. I just think we should be cautious about the powers of the US military and it's commander in chief outside of war time.

mnrobitaille

That report is a bit outdated as we now have the umbrella called Department of Homeland Security, which includes several agencies under one central leadership.

FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT
Investigative Authority and Personnel at 13 Agencies
http://www.gao.gov/assets/230/223212.pdf

Pay particular attention to page 12 - IRS and page 13 - ATF.

Also,

USE OF FORCE
ATF Policy, Training and Review Process Are Comparable to DEA’s and FBI’s
http://www.gaonet.gov/assets/160/155422.pdf

See page 123 - ATF - Waco Operation.

Freedom1Man

Title 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 44 - FIREARMS
Sec. 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

You will NOT carry a gun, you will NOT defend yourself on base, you will NOT carry a gun to and from work or any stops during the work day. If you're out on lunch off base and you and your comrades are targets because of your uniform - TOUGH LUCK. The government would rather see your child grow up with out a father than have you carry a gun to and from work for lawful self defense off base. PERIOD This will NEVER change.

You can carry a gun to kill people to defend your government's interests, but you better not carry a gun while driving home so your family can have a daddy growing up.

1) The term "Federal facility" means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

This section is limited to buildings.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
That report is a bit outdated as we now have the umbrella called Department of Homeland Security, which includes several agencies under one central leadership.
Your point?

I'm sorry, but your answer demonstrates your ignorance of the law. Just because an agency was shuffled under a new agency does not grant that agency any additional powers unless the law says so.

Can you tell me what specific law enlarged any particular agencies powers because of the rearrangement of delegation of authority?

Have a look: http://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/dhs-orgchart.pdf

Have a Look: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/jmd/legacy/2014/06/23/dojorg.pdf

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Therein lies part of the problem, how can one trust a CIC who has no military service record?

How many of our elected officials even have military service records?

It's a shame that our family members who are serving are not able to defend themselves unless they're in their own home or in an active combat zone.

This is BS.

Folks at that pay grade are not even strategic planners. They come up with a kinda/sorta description of what they want done, buck it to the Joint Chiefs who kick it into bits that are then sent around to layers and layers of folks who put together layers and layers of strategy - the higher up the more head-in-the-clouds conceptual their planning is.

Then all that strategy has to be kicked around with the tacticians who will either tell you why it can't be done or figure out a way to make it happen within both the military and political strategy boundaries. (This last part, BTW, is why there are so few country-sized glass ashtrays.)

stay safe.

hafnhaf

what? not old enough to remember the low-speed chase of O.J. Simpson? We're just slowly following ISIS around, waiting for something bad to happen so we can react. Always too little too late. Ram those bastards into the guardrail and take them out!

twoskinsonemanns

what? not old enough to remember the low-speed chase of O.J. Simpson? We're just slowly following ISIS around, waiting for something bad to happen so we can react. Always too little too late. Ram those bastards into the guardrail and take them out!

Things would be easier if the ISIS in the US would be kind enough to differentiate themselves from the LAC muslims.
Got any ideas?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Definitely remember the chase. Work pretty much stopped to everybody could watch it happen in real time. And that's something you do not want to see taking place inside a prison.

I asked because my mind had come up with some other possible references.

stay safe.