Thread: West Allis pays 30,000 to OC

West Allis pays 30,000 to OC

The city of West Allis has agreed to pay $30,000 to settle a federal civil rights lawsuit prompted by one of the first tests of Wisconsin residents' right to openly carry guns.

Brad Krause was planting a tree in his backyard in August 2008 -- while wearing a holstered hand gun -- when police arrived, drew their weapons, and arrested him.

Another Win

They should have charged the neighbor (presumably) who called it in.
    A firearm is a tool of convenience, not effectiveness - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Another win, BUT...

I live in the peoples republic of NJ. It is good to read that the City of West Allis lost this round. But, as I have said before on this site, it seems that for every win, we experience 5 losses. This is not being said to discourage anyone from continuing the good fight. It is being stated to make sure we all know the unparalleled obstacles we have to overcome. Just think. The police arrived, drew their weapons, and arrested Brad Krause for wearing a holstered hand gun on HIS OWN property! Keep up the good work, firearms instructor.

Thumbs up Good NEWS!

Quote Originally Posted by fjpro2a View Post
    I live in the peoples republic of NJ. It is good to read that the City of West Allis lost this round. But, as I have said before on this site, it seems that for every win, we experience 5 losses. This is not being said to discourage anyone from continuing the good fight. It is being stated to make sure we all know the unparalleled obstacles we have to overcome. Just think. The police arrived, drew their weapons, and arrested Brad Krause for wearing a holstered hand gun on HIS OWN property! Keep up the good work, firearms instructor.
    This has happened a few times in Wisconsin in the past few years. Frank Hannon-Rock was also arrested openly carrying his 1911 on his own front porch in 2009 in the city of Racine. Racine paid for their unconstitutional behavior and now Brookfield has paid. It's too bad that the same police that arrested these people took an Oath to the U.S. and Wisconsin Constitutions and yet violated that same Oath.

LINK: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/138816959.html
    Last edited by rcawdor57; 02-07-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added link
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

Nice! MKEgal should be next for some $$$$, well more $$$$

Anybody have a link to the story in the OP?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Thumbs up LINK For Article

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Anybody have a link to the story in the OP?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/138816959.html

Enjoy the read!
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fjpro2a View Post
    I thought when Christie got elected in NJ things would improve. Seems like NJ is still going along with the Loonbird agenda.
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    The city of West Allis has agreed to pay $30,000 to settle a federal civil rights lawsuit prompted by one of the first tests of Wisconsin residents' right to openly carry guns.

Brad Krause was planting a tree in his backyard in August 2008 -- while wearing a holstered hand gun -- when police arrived, drew their weapons, and arrested him.

Another Win
    Maybe they arrested him for planting a tree on a day that wasn't Arbor day or they didn't like the type of tree he was planting.

This is a loss...

...for tax payers. Where do you think that 30K comes from? Also, it's a shame to have public servants that are that ignorant of the law and civil liberties.

I went to a couple of those hearings, and the neighbor who called in sounded like an idiot! What's more, after he testified and walked out of the room, you could tell that he KNEW he sounded like an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
    ...for tax payers. Where do you think that 30K comes from? Also, it's a shame to have public servants that are that ignorant of the law and civil liberties.

I went to a couple of those hearings, and the neighbor who called in sounded like an idiot! What's more, after he testified and walked out of the room, you could tell that he KNEW he sounded like an idiot.
    I see the tax payers have three choices.

1. They can keep allowing the local cops to violate people rights and keep paying settlements.

2. They can vote out the sheriff or mayor if he doesn't fire the chief for not properly training their officers.

3. They can demand that the LE get better training and stop breaking the law or we will refer to option number two.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    I see the tax payers have three choices.

1. They can keep allowing the local cops to violate people rights and keep paying settlements.

2. They can vote out the sheriff or mayor if he doesn't fire the chief for not properly training their officers.

3. They can demand that the LE get better training and stop breaking the law or we will refer to option number two.
    Absolutely, taxpayers get the government they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    This has happened a few times in Wisconsin in the past few years. Frank Hannon-Rock was also arrested openly carrying his 1911 on his own front porch in 2009 in the city of Racine. Racine paid for their unconstitutional behavior and now Brookfield has paid. It's too bad that the same police that arrested these people took an Oath to the U.S. and Wisconsin Constitutions and yet violated that same Oath.

LINK: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/138816959.html
    Don't forget the Madison 5 incident...
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor
    Brad Krause was planting a tree in his back yard in August 2008
    I thought it was his front yard; that's how the neighbor saw him, & cops only had to trespass a little.
    Then a few days later, while he was talking w/ media, the cops came back!
    And on camera, being recorded, they said that if the cameras weren't there they would have put him on the ground. Instead they "only" coerced him into giving ID.

Quote Originally Posted by sawah
    They should have charged the neighbor (presumably) who called it in.
    The neighbor testified for him. The guy did just like the gals in Brookfield - called to ask if OC is legal. And just like Brookfield the cops could have simply said 'yes' & been done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker
    Maybe they arrested him for planting a tree on a day that wasn't Arbor day or they didn't like the type of tree he was planting.
    LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy
    MKEgal should be next for some $$$$, well more $$$$
    There are 2 suits already in progress & another to come soon.
    Milwaukee doesn't know when to give up & follow the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    I thought when Christie got elected in NJ things would improve. Seems like NJ is still going along with the Loonbird agenda.
    Nope, because other than being fiscally conservative, Christie is a pretty big RINO lefty/moderate on everything else. He's what passes for "hard-right" in NJ, though.

Quote Originally Posted by norwisman View Post
    Thirty grand after lawyers fees shrinks in a hurry.
    Unless lawyer fee's were included in the settlement and the $30,000 is his to keep.

The cops have never been held responsible for their INITIATION OF FORCE against Brad.

Initiating force against a cop forfeits one's life.
    Last edited by smithman; 02-08-2012 at 03:29 PM.

I would rather have some judicial precedent set than the money, but oh well.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

Christie is an anti gun Mitt Romney supporter. Nuff said.
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    --Thomas Jefferson