• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

West Allis pays 30,000 to OC

Firearms Iinstuctor

The city of West Allis has agreed to pay $30,000 to settle a federal civil rights lawsuit prompted by one of the first tests of Wisconsin residents' right to openly carry guns.

Brad Krause was planting a tree in his backyard in August 2008 -- while wearing a holstered hand gun -- when police arrived, drew their weapons, and arrested him.

Another Win

sawah

They should have charged the neighbor (presumably) who called it in.

fjpro2a

Another win, BUT...

I live in the peoples republic of NJ. It is good to read that the City of West Allis lost this round. But, as I have said before on this site, it seems that for every win, we experience 5 losses. This is not being said to discourage anyone from continuing the good fight. It is being stated to make sure we all know the unparalleled obstacles we have to overcome. Just think. The police arrived, drew their weapons, and arrested Brad Krause for wearing a holstered hand gun on HIS OWN property! Keep up the good work, firearms instructor.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Good NEWS!

I live in the peoples republic of NJ. It is good to read that the City of West Allis lost this round. But, as I have said before on this site, it seems that for every win, we experience 5 losses. This is not being said to discourage anyone from continuing the good fight. It is being stated to make sure we all know the unparalleled obstacles we have to overcome. Just think. The police arrived, drew their weapons, and arrested Brad Krause for wearing a holstered hand gun on HIS OWN property! Keep up the good work, firearms instructor.

This has happened a few times in Wisconsin in the past few years. Frank Hannon-Rock was also arrested openly carrying his 1911 on his own front porch in 2009 in the city of Racine. Racine paid for their unconstitutional behavior and now Brookfield has paid. It's too bad that the same police that arrested these people took an Oath to the U.S. and Wisconsin Constitutions and yet violated that same Oath.

LINK: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/138816959.html

Last edited:

TyGuy

Nice! MKEgal should be next for some $$$$, well more $$$$

Flipper

Campaign Veteran

I thought when Christie got elected in NJ things would improve. Seems like NJ is still going along with the Loonbird agenda.

DocWalker

The city of West Allis has agreed to pay $30,000 to settle a federal civil rights lawsuit prompted by one of the first tests of Wisconsin residents' right to openly carry guns.

Brad Krause was planting a tree in his backyard in August 2008 -- while wearing a holstered hand gun -- when police arrived, drew their weapons, and arrested him.

Another Win

Maybe they arrested him for planting a tree on a day that wasn't Arbor day or they didn't like the type of tree he was planting.

pkbites

This is a loss...

...for tax payers. Where do you think that 30K comes from? Also, it's a shame to have public servants that are that ignorant of the law and civil liberties.

I went to a couple of those hearings, and the neighbor who called in sounded like an idiot! What's more, after he testified and walked out of the room, you could tell that he KNEW he sounded like an idiot.

DocWalker

...for tax payers. Where do you think that 30K comes from? Also, it's a shame to have public servants that are that ignorant of the law and civil liberties.

I went to a couple of those hearings, and the neighbor who called in sounded like an idiot! What's more, after he testified and walked out of the room, you could tell that he KNEW he sounded like an idiot.

I see the tax payers have three choices.

1. They can keep allowing the local cops to violate people rights and keep paying settlements.

2. They can vote out the sheriff or mayor if he doesn't fire the chief for not properly training their officers.

3. They can demand that the LE get better training and stop breaking the law or we will refer to option number two.

tomm1963

I see the tax payers have three choices.

1. They can keep allowing the local cops to violate people rights and keep paying settlements.

2. They can vote out the sheriff or mayor if he doesn't fire the chief for not properly training their officers.

3. They can demand that the LE get better training and stop breaking the law or we will refer to option number two.

Absolutely, taxpayers get the government they deserve.

protias

This has happened a few times in Wisconsin in the past few years. Frank Hannon-Rock was also arrested openly carrying his 1911 on his own front porch in 2009 in the city of Racine. Racine paid for their unconstitutional behavior and now Brookfield has paid. It's too bad that the same police that arrested these people took an Oath to the U.S. and Wisconsin Constitutions and yet violated that same Oath.

LINK: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/138816959.html

Don't forget the Madison 5 incident...

MKEgal

Firearms Iinstuctor said:
Brad Krause was planting a tree in his back yard in August 2008
I thought it was his front yard; that's how the neighbor saw him, & cops only had to trespass a little.
Then a few days later, while he was talking w/ media, the cops came back!
And on camera, being recorded, they said that if the cameras weren't there they would have put him on the ground. Instead they "only" coerced him into giving ID. :mad:

sawah said:
They should have charged the neighbor (presumably) who called it in.
The neighbor testified for him. The guy did just like the gals in Brookfield - called to ask if OC is legal. And just like Brookfield the cops could have simply said 'yes' & been done with it.

DocWalker said:
Maybe they arrested him for planting a tree on a day that wasn't Arbor day or they didn't like the type of tree he was planting.
LOL!! :D

TyGuy said:
MKEgal should be next for some $$$$, well more $$$$
There are 2 suits already in progress & another to come soon.
Milwaukee doesn't know when to give up & follow the law.

DangerClose

I thought when Christie got elected in NJ things would improve. Seems like NJ is still going along with the Loonbird agenda.

Nope, because other than being fiscally conservative, Christie is a pretty big RINO lefty/moderate on everything else. He's what passes for "hard-right" in NJ, though.

smithman

The cops have never been held responsible for their INITIATION OF FORCE against Brad.

Initiating force against a cop forfeits one's life.

Last edited: