• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question regarding NC CPP

tim12232

So I have been open carrying in Charlotte for a while now, and have been thinking it would be good to get the concealed license for when I travel in SC or other states with reciprocity. But I also just saw that...

"The applicant has not been adjudicated guilty of or received a
prayer for judgment continued or suspended sentence for one or
more crimes of violence constituting a misdemeanor under
Article 8 of Chapter 14 of the North Carolina General Statutes
or a violation of a any of the following misdemeanors:
14-277: Impersonation of a law-enforcement or other public
officer.

Well long story short 7 years ago I had lights on my car that caused me to pulled over and gave me a misdemeanor impersonating an officer. Are there any exceptions to this? Will I pretty much be banned from concealed carry for the rest of my life now?

NC-Heel

You were convicted? If it is the only trouble you have ever been in you can get a lawyer to expunge it. Other than that you will be denied a permit for concealed carry. Mecklenburg County Sheriffs Dept. is very thorough in the background check.

papa bear

just a couple of questions, are you under judgment at the moment? has all penalties been executed? if they have you shouldn't have a problem, outside of having to explain it. but, correct me if i am wrong, that charge is not a felony, of which case that is the only reason for not allowing a CHP. but too, you have to apply first for a lot of things to show up.

but then again who needs a CHP

Last edited:

NC-Heel

just a couple of questions, are you under judgment at the moment? has all penalties been executed? if they have you shouldn't have a problem, outside of having to explain it. but, correct me if i am wrong, that charge is not a felony, of which case that is the only reason for not allowing a CHP. but too, you have to apply first for a lot of things to show up.

but then again who needs a CHP
Doesn't matter if it was a felony or misdemeanor. There is a list of offenses that automatically disqualify someone from obtaining a concealed carry permit and impersonating an officer is one. The Statute says the Sheriff must deny the permit is certain prohibitions exist and this one is listed. Doesn't matter if you can explain it, in Mecklenburg Co. they look for a reason to deny.

Last edited:

rotorhead

Doesn't matter if it was a felony or misdemeanor. There is a list of offenses that automatically disqualify someone from obtaining a concealed carry permit and impersonating an officer is one. The Statute says the Sheriff must deny the permit is certain prohibitions exist and this one is listed. Doesn't matter if you can explain it, in Mecklenburg Co. they look for a reason to deny.

That's pretty much the deal around the state, as well. If one of the disqualifying offenses come up during the check, the sheriff has no other option but to deny the permit. Oddly enough, a sheriff has more leeway when determining the eligibility for the PPP than they do for the CHP. Then again, that's if they are using current law as their guide. Something tells me that using law to deny a permit is something a sheriff wouldn't lose sleep over.

By law, if one of the listed convictions show up on the check, they must deny the permit. If nothing shows up, then they must issue the permit. It works both ways with the CHP.

The OP's options are pretty slim outside of getting the conviction wiped from the records. That, or don't bother with the stupid permit in the first place :)

tim12232

Will it make any difference that this happened in MN where im originally from? There I only paid a 135 dollar fine and that was it...
Im wondering if it only applies to convictions of said crime in the state of NC?

Thanks for the info you all have provided?

Tim

NC-Heel

Will it make any difference that this happened in MN where im originally from? There I only paid a 135 dollar fine and that was it...
Im wondering if it only applies to convictions of said crime in the state of NC?

Thanks for the info you all have provided?

Tim
If they find it, it will disqualify you. You can try and see. Worst that happens is the Sheriff says NO.

tim12232

If they find it, it will disqualify you. You can try and see. Worst that happens is the Sheriff says NO.

Worse is im out my money! Sheriff can say No all he wants he's not gonna hurt my feelings lol. Looks like I will end up doing a non resident VA, which covers 99 percent of the states I would need it to most. I drive home to MN couple of times per year, VA will cover me here in NC, TN, KY, IN , WI and when I am in MN next time I will apply there for there non resident as well. I do find it odd that NC allows any legal gun owner to OC but CC has the regulations! Carrying a gun imho is carrying a gun concealed or not. Oh well, thats the gov for you i guess stupid laws, that only affect the law abiding.

The lights were red btw, my buddies dad used to be a volunteer firefighter and had some old red lights in the garage we wired them up to my car within 30 min and decided to go crews down a back country dirt road that hardly ever has cars on it past 8 or 9 pm. Well Murphy's Law was in full effect that night, within 10 seconds of turning them on, cop sitting in the ditch turns on lights and that was it! I knew better, I knew what I did was wrong but I didnt have the mental capacity to understand that this would affect me years later. I didnt get a lawyer and the DA offered me to remove all charges related to speeding and red lights if I pled guilty to Impersonating an Officer, I didnt want anything on my driving record so I ended up taking it........STUPID mistake that I am now paying for!

Thanks again,

Tim

D70inilm

Non resident ccw permits

They indeed are valid in Nc. Az, va, and fla will issue non resident permits. Az is fastest, and cheapest.

Good luck