• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eugene intruder, shot dead by resident, had just been released from jail (Oregon)

MilProGuy

Thanks for sharing the link to this story.

'Tis a shame that these miscreants don't learn their lessons during incarceration.

buckfynn

An article from The Register Guard goes into more detail of the events of the home invasion and past history of the perpetrators.

Shawn Connelly was arrested by Eugene police on charges of heroin possession and delivery, reckless driving and attempting to elude police (3:00 pm). The police booked Connelly for the crime but then released him due to jail overcrowding (10:00 pm). Connelly was shot dead appox. 5 hours later in a home invasion / burglary scenario by the resident of the home (3:00 am). Connelly's accomplice, Darrin George Dubouch, stated to authorities he was “armed with what was purported to be a dangerous or deadly weapon” when he tried to rob the resident.

The article goes on to say, "Lane County prosecutors will determine whether the shooting was legal, police said." But also added, "State law allows a person to protect himself by shooting at someone who is committing or attempting to commit a residential burglary."

Sadly neither article directly referred to the shooting as an act of self defense.

Kirbinator

Shawn Connelly was arrested by Eugene police on charges of heroin possession and delivery, reckless driving and attempting to elude police (3:00 pm). The police booked Connelly for the crime but then released him due to jail overcrowding (10:00 pm).

That wasn't the smarted decision they ever made. He pretty well proved that he's a flight-risk with the fleeing and eluding charge.

Well, I look at my words... Innocent until proven guilty. However, he should have been arraigned or something first.

Last edited:

.45acp

That wasn't the smarted decision they ever made. He pretty well proved that he's a flight-risk with the fleeing and eluding charge.

Well, I look at my words... Innocent until proven guilty. However, he should have been arraigned or something first.

Don't have worry about "until proven guilty" now. Sounds like he was judged by one of his peers and found to be lacking.

The home owner did us all a favor.