• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OTish: Got a new piece today: HiPoint 40 S&W

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Sig

Well, I carry a Sig because they are just darn cool! Cool enough for Sidney Portier to carry in a bad movie The Jackal!

TJSIGP229-1.jpg

Metalhead47

Welcome to the family! :banana:

You've just acquired the AK47 of pistols. Reliable, indestructible, and cheap. Unlike an AK it's also accurate as hell, having a fixed barrel. Might I suggest www.hipointtalk.net for some HiPoint love & answers to questions. Like amlevin said, go look up some of the youtube videos where people try to destroy these guns and they just keep coming back like the energizer bunny.

But even as the resident HiPoint apologist, you may find the full-size model too heavy to carry. I tried carrying my HP .45 for a while, just too much for me. But, so is my "quality" :uhoh: Tanfoglio .45, and I've gone back to carrying my HP 9mm almost exclusively. When I actually get to carry.:banghead:

As well as saving yourself money, you'll be saving yourself time too. No need to actually break the gun down (which is a bit of a pain) untill the 1500 round mark or so, just lock the slide back, hose the guts out with brake cleaner, run a bore snake thru, and add a little gun oil to the parts that start to show wear (get shiny). Like anything else mass produced, there IS a break in period for the gun, especially the magazines. Any time you get a new HP magazine, fully load it, throw in a drawer (safe) then forget about it for a couple of weeks to let it break in. The gun its self usually needs 200-400 rounds, you can expect some malfunctions during this time. Since the break in my HP C9 has never had a malfunction EXCEPT when I fumblefinger it & bump the mag release :uhoh:. Some people advocate polishing the feed ramp on the barrel to improve reliability. Did this on mine, not on my wife's, and we haven't noticed a difference. This will happen anyway as the gun gets used. Be sure you try the little "ghost ring" sight that comes with it too. Some folks like it, some don't.

If you want to play all "tacti-cool," a 9mm HP carbine is a great little rifle you can cover with all the goofy goodies for half the price of an AR, and the only caliber cheaper to shoot is 22lr. Plus you get extra practice swapping mags.

You will take some flak for having anything to do with a HP. Especially from gun snobs & tacti-cool fanboys. To date none of them have ever volunteered to be shot with one tho.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Originally Posted by tannerwaterbury
They may be ugly, but I doubt a BG would care of the style if the barrel is pointing in their direction.

Cost means nothing, steel on steel does. A low price does not equate to "cheap". I carry a US$200 CZ82 that shoots like a dream. High points are great weapons. I am putting together one of those "bug out kits". SW has one for Bear, I want one for zombies.
a solar/generator radio, energy food for 4 people x 4 days, 4 "space blankets, a Highpoint .45, 50 or 100 rounds of ammo and a spare magazine. All in a pelican case.

DocWalker

Cost means nothing, steel on steel does. A low price does not equate to "cheap". I carry a US$200 CZ82 that shoots like a dream. High points are great weapons. I am putting together one of those "bug out kits". SW has one for Bear, I want one for zombies.
a solar/generator radio, energy food for 4 people x 4 days, 4 "space blankets, a Highpoint .45, 50 or 100 rounds of ammo and a spare magazine. All in a pelican case.

Don't forget the First-Aid Kit......

amlevin

You'll pay more for the Pelican Case than you will for the Hi-Point;)

Metalhead47

You'll pay more for the Pelican Case than you will for the Hi-Point;)

You'll pay more for a day's worth of ammo at the local pit than you will for the HiPoint :p

Heck for the price of a "real" gun you can get a HiPoint, holster, basic self defense course, AND a nice bundle of ammo and still have enough for McD's on the way home!

223to45

Well, decided to add to my growing collection of Firearms today. Went in to my local Gun shop and bought me a Hi Point 40 S&W. VERY Comfortable in the hand, and of course a few steps ahead of my 380 in terms of caliber. Now, some of you MAY rag on me about choosing the Hi-Point brand, but as someone who doesn't make much, and has very good experience with the Hi-Point, I thought getting THAT over a more higher priced brand would do me just fine. Anyways, don't have a camera, but then again I would assume everyone would know what one looks like (Google obviously XD) so I won't be able to post a pic of my new baby. Anyways, just thought I'd boast about my new addition... let the compliments and fun bashing begin. :p

So have you gone out and shot it yet??

tannerwaterbury

So have you gone out and shot it yet??

still need to. Only problem is, there's not a public shooting range near me, and the only shooting club I know of has a waiting period that's just too long to wait for. HOPEFULLY the range they are proposing in Castle Rock will be approved and/or opened in the next year or so.

FMCDH

There's that but also, if you carry a Hi-Point you can be mistaken for being a street thug. If you carry a Sig you might be mistaken for a Secret Service Agent.

Shhhh...

GoGo and I don't want our "agent" status to be widely known. ;)

DocWalker

True, but keep in mind, this is only necessary after 1500 rounds. That's a fair bit o' shootin.

Well I would disagree with having to clean your pitol after 1500 rounds. I would submit that he clean it after each time he fires it for the first three or four times. This is recommended for a new gun as it will be a little stiff at first and be more likely to jam until it gets broken in a little. Think baseball glove and how you work them over to make it easier to catch a ball.

I would also submit that I personnally like to clean my weapons each time I shoot because it relaxes me and it drives my wife nuts. She said I stink up the whole house with the smell of Hops..or other gun cleaning solution. Funny it doesn't stink up the house when she does her nails......fight fire with fire....lol

Metalhead47

Well I would disagree with having to clean your pitol after 1500 rounds. I would submit that he clean it after each time he fires it for the first three or four times. This is recommended for a new gun as it will be a little stiff at first and be more likely to jam until it gets broken in a little. Think baseball glove and how you work them over to make it easier to catch a ball.

I would also submit that I personnally like to clean my weapons each time I shoot because it relaxes me and it drives my wife nuts. She said I stink up the whole house with the smell of Hops..or other gun cleaning solution. Funny it doesn't stink up the house when she does her nails......fight fire with fire....lol

Think about it... Why would a manufacturer that offers a life time, NO QUESTIONS ASKED warrantee recommend doing something that was in any way detrimental to, or would shorten the life of, their warranted product? Similar to how most newer cars can go 7500 miles or more between oil changes instead of the old standard of 3000.

Myself, I just do the quick boresnake cleaning I mentioned before after every shooting trip, then a full breakdown at 1500. Like an ak, the tolerances on a hi point are fairly loose by design. Takes an awful lot of crud to gum them up. Most of the break in is in the magazine & feed ramp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocWalker

Think about it... Why would a manufacturer that offers a life time, NO QUESTIONS ASKED warrantee recommend doing something that was in any way detrimental to, or would shorten the life of, their warranted product? Similar to how most newer cars can go 7500 miles or more between oil changes instead of the old standard of 3000.

Myself, I just do the quick boresnake cleaning I mentioned before after every shooting trip, then a full breakdown at 1500. Like an ak, the tolerances on a hi point are fairly loose by design. Takes an awful lot of crud to gum them up. Most of the break in is in the magazine & feed ramp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My appologies as to knowing the Hi-point specks, but I'm speaking from experiance when it comes to pistols I have bought new or aquired that hadn''t been cleaned since they where made.

That being said, and I don't own a Hi-point so I would suggest shooting it a few times and get comfortable and comfident it won't vapor lock in a life or death situation and that goes for any pistol you carry. I had a springfield XD that took me about 5 times shooting and cleaning before it loosened up enough to quit jaming. I picked up a 38 special derranger from the pawn shop for 80 dollars, they said it didn't work and the grips were loose. After tearing it a part, cleaning...repeatedly, shooting, cleaning, shooting, cleaning about about 10-12 times I finally got it clean enough to have its appropriate trigger pull. Nobody could even pull the trigger when I bought it as it was that dirty...all gummed up.

I was buying a lot of these type weapons when I took my gunsmith glass. It was a good excuse to have to buy more guns, the wife couldn't complain as it was for a class....lol