• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OTish: Got a new piece today: HiPoint 40 S&W

tannerwaterbury

Well, decided to add to my growing collection of Firearms today. Went in to my local Gun shop and bought me a Hi Point 40 S&W. VERY Comfortable in the hand, and of course a few steps ahead of my 380 in terms of caliber. Now, some of you MAY rag on me about choosing the Hi-Point brand, but as someone who doesn't make much, and has very good experience with the Hi-Point, I thought getting THAT over a more higher priced brand would do me just fine. Anyways, don't have a camera, but then again I would assume everyone would know what one looks like (Google obviously XD) so I won't be able to post a pic of my new baby. Anyways, just thought I'd boast about my new addition... let the compliments and fun bashing begin. :p

DocWalker

Happy your happy with your new gun....see I almost said it with a straight face.

Really I tease but you use and shoot what you can afford. The key about it is the Bad Guys know a bullet is a bullet and they both hurt, I have yet to hear someone say how dare you shoot me with that you must at least us a kimber or XD and don't shoot me with any of the cheap ammo.....lol

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Hi Point, isn't that like driving a Ford Pinto? :lol:

One thing I hear about Hi Points is if you run out of ammo they work great as a hammer! :lol:

Still better then not having one though.

Last edited:

223to45

All I got to say is for the people that think Glocks are ugly, should compare them to Hi-Point.;)

I can say that, I have 2 I bought just for the hell of it to add to my Glocks and 1911.

tannerwaterbury

Happy your happy with your new gun....see I almost said it with a straight face.

Really I tease but you use and shoot what you can afford. The key about it is the Bad Guys know a bullet is a bullet and they both hurt, I have yet to hear someone say how dare you shoot me with that you must at least use a kimber or XD and don't shoot me with any of the cheap ammo.....lol

Thats exactly my thought. If I was making more than I am now, I'd have no problem getting some better brands. However, I DO enjoy Hi Points, especially their Customer Service, which is absolutely excellent. I've shot my 380 a few times without any problems sofar, and even though its heavy as hell, carrying it around both OC and CC has been pretty pleasant. I do look forward to buying their Carbines some day, which I hear are excellent to shoot.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
They are sure ugly, but I've heard they're fairly reliable.

ad494d13-aa39-4cbe.jpg

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Tanner if anybody gives you a hard time about having a Hi-Point, I will give you back up with my HP carbine while you're reloading!

FMCDH

If it allows you to shoot straight, works reliably and doesn't break your back (or your pelvis) while carrying it, I say good on ya.

amzbrady

Hi Point, isn't that like driving a Ford Pinto? :lol:

One thing I hear about Hi Points is if you run out of ammo they work great as a hammer! :lol:

Still better then not having one though.

If you run out of ammo you can throw it and knock someone out.

I love my Highpoint 9mm. Accurate and although I have not had to use it I have heard they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

tannerwaterbury

If you run out of ammo you can throw it and knock someone out.

I love my Highpoint 9mm. Accurate and although I have not had to use it I have heard they have a now questions asked lifetime warranty.

What's even better is, if you buy a USED one, that warranty is still in effect, so if the used one is damaged or defective in any way, you can get a new one for free! you can't beat customer service like THAT!

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I know there is a stigma attached to high points as to being called throw aways, gangbangers like them because of their price and of course how can a quality gun be sold for so little?
If you feel you can bet your life on it's operation then that is all that matters as well all have to answer that question no matter what we carry.

Trigger Dr

Highpoint is good. It is the closest thing to a Glock that you can get with out buying a Glock

fire suppressor

Congratulations on your latest addition to your family :) I use to make fun of hi points then a few years ago a friend of mine bought a hi point 9m carbine cheap off someone. He got it cheap because it had a few things wrong with it and when we first took it out to the range the we figured out the sight alignment was way off, that was a surprise to us they looked straight. He sent it back to hi point and with in a week he had it back from the factory completely fixed and restored. On top completely fixing all of the problems and replacing a good amount of the gun the company sent the gun back cleaned and polished, replaced the iron sights, included two brand new extra mags, a sling and a letter apologizing for the problems the gun had and thanking my friend for his patience and business, all for free that is hard to beat.

We took it out to the range and I was impressed it was a very smooth straight shooter! After getting a little hands on time with the carbine and shooting a couple bull's eyes it really changed my opinion of the product and the company. Of course I still do like to tease hi points once and awhile but not out of disgust like it use to be more in a Ford vs Chevy kind of way. There is nothing wrong with hi points or Chevy's but I like em XD and Ford :) I guess what I am trying to say is you made a good choice and saved a lot of money

amlevin

Hi-Points take far too much crap over their looks. They are a basic firearm that works well. Look up the video where two guys tried to destroy one. Only way they could was to thread a bolt into the bore and fire it. Otherwise just blocking the bore with a casing, mud, etc, didn't phase it.

I talked with a Gun Dealer one time who said he'd only carry Hi-Points if he could. Of all the "Big Name" pistols he sold, only the Hi-Points gave him the least grief when it came to Customer Complaints.

As far as I know, they work just fine for their intended purpose. As for "Looks", I'm not sure that's part of their mission.