Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: What REALLY Makes a State Good For Self-Defense & Carry

  1. #1
    Regular Member vermonter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    341

    What REALLY Makes a State Good For Self-Defense & Carry

    When I determine what makes a state good for gun owners I consider the follow to be the MOST important points. I don't care about machine gun ownership - It is more important that I am able to defend myself legally wherever I have a right to be.
    1) Stand Your Ground Law: Right to defense ANYWHERE you have a right to be.
    2) No Gun's Signs: States where No GUNS signs have no weight of law.
    3) Off Limits: States with the least places off limits
    4) Open Carry: States where OC is at least an option and not like the Texas total ban
    5) Police Authority: States where officers are not allowed by statute to disarm and where you do not have to notify.
    6) Permits GFSZA: A permit option in place to exempt you from school zones. to me VT is one of the worst states.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by vermonter View Post
    ...5) Police Authority: States where officers are not allowed by statute to disarm ....
    And NV was doing so well....
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  3. #3
    Regular Member MilProGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by vermonter View Post
    When I determine what makes a state good for gun owners I consider the follow to be the MOST important points. I don't care about machine gun ownership - It is more important that I am able to defend myself legally wherever I have a right to be.
    1) Stand Your Ground Law: Right to defense ANYWHERE you have a right to be.
    2) No Gun's Signs: States where No GUNS signs have no weight of law.
    3) Off Limits: States with the least places off limits
    4) Open Carry: States where OC is at least an option and not like the Texas total ban
    5) Police Authority: States where officers are not allowed by statute to disarm and where you do not have to notify.
    6) Permits GFSZA: A permit option in place to exempt you from school zones. to me VT is one of the worst states.
    If you discover that state, then please let us know, and...good luck!
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

    Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired


  4. #4
    Regular Member DCKilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wet Side, WA
    Posts
    527
    Washington fits most of that except for the "unloaded without a cpl in a car" thing.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    If police have the authority to detain you they will have the authority to disarm you.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  6. #6
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    If you discover that state, then please let us know, and...good luck!
    Kentucky

    1: 503.080(3) A person does not have a duty to retreat if the person is in a place where he or she has a right to be.

    2: I don't know how to cite this

    3: I don't know how to cite this either. KY law just outlaws the conceal carry mostly.

    4: Oc without a permit

    5:237.104(2) No person, unit of government, or governmental organization shall, during a period of disaster or emergency as specified in KRS Chapter 39A orat any other time,
    take, seize, confiscate, or impound a firearm, firearm part, ammunition, ammunition component, or any deadly weapon or dangerous instrument from any person. Also, we don't have to tell a LEO we are carrying.

    6: Don't know where to cite this either.

    Edited most of this in.
    Last edited by 09jisaac; 02-08-2012 at 12:12 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Kentucky

    1: 503.080(3) A person does not have a duty to retreat if the person is in a place where he or she has a right to be.

    2: I don't know how to cite this

    3: I don't know how to cite this either. KY law just outlaws the conceal carry mostly.

    4: Oc without a permit

    5:237.104(2) No person, unit of government, or governmental organization shall, during a period of disaster or emergency as specified in KRS Chapter 39A orat any other time,
    take, seize, confiscate, or impound a firearm, firearm part, ammunition, ammunition component, or any deadly weapon or dangerous instrument from any person. Also, we don't have to tell a LEO we are carrying.

    6: Don't know where to cite this either.

    Edited most of this in.
    I think you are leaving another critical law out. Otherwise a person that is arrested would be able to keep his firearm even when in jail. Somehow I don't think police put armed people in jail, I'd bet they take the weapons first.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Some states also have a castle law that doesn't allow a legal defensive shooting to be second-guessed in civil court. That's one for your list.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  9. #9
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    I think you are leaving another critical law out. Otherwise a person that is arrested would be able to keep his firearm even when in jail. Somehow I don't think police put armed people in jail, I'd bet they take the weapons first.
    I linked the sources there. If you click the hyperlinked numbers it will take you to the law. I shouldn't have to post the whole KRS where you all would have to scroll through pages to get to the comment under me. I assumed that OP meant that LEO can't disarm LAC, that was the law I cited.
    Last edited by 09jisaac; 02-08-2012 at 04:23 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Some states also have a castle law that doesn't allow a legal defensive shooting to be second-guessed in civil court. That's one for your list.
    Stand your ground laws are usually better than castle laws. If you have the legal right to be their then you have the legal right to defend it, this should include your home.

    : ) Kentucky has that too. It even goes on to include tents in the definition. HERE

    After looking for the definition for dwelling I have found 3 places that the stand your ground law is.

    Here
    Here
    Here

    I guess that meant something to them.

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Stand your ground laws are usually better than castle laws. If you have the legal right to be their then you have the legal right to defend it, this should include your home....
    I'm not disputing that; I should clarify.

    Immunity from civil litigation is a further step than either. We have what is known as "castle lite." A higher castle law further gives immunity from being sued even when you cannot be charged with a crime. My state's castle lite laws do include stand-your-ground at (actually: "no duty to retreat" from) any place you have a legal right to be.

    My state has stand-your-ground laws against criminal prosecution, but not civil immunity YET. We are working on it, though.
    Last edited by MAC702; 02-08-2012 at 07:15 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  12. #12
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I'm not disputing that; I should clarify.

    Immunity from civil litigation is a further step than either. We have what is known as "castle lite." A higher castle law further gives immunity from being sued even when you cannot be charged with a crime. My state's castle lite laws do include stand-your-ground at (actually: "no duty to retreat" from) any place you have a legal right to be.

    My state has stand-your-ground laws against criminal prosecution, but not civil immunity YET. We are working on it, though.
    This?

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Looks like!
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •