Thread: News story about a school board member open carrying on campus.

News story about a school board member open carrying on campus.

Article is about school board member of Breckenridge Community Schools open carrying to board meetings on campus.

http://www.wnem.com/story/16698983/s...enly-on-campus

News story about a school board member open carrying on campus

School board member open carries at Breckenridge Community Schools

http://www.wnem.com/story/16698983/s...enly-on-campus

Nice to see that practically all of the comments are in support of the guy carrying. And most of them are citing law, which is also good to see.
    The worst weapon is the human mind, its created and done things far worse than a gun can, has, or ever will. Its the human mind that tells the gun what to do and animates the inanimate object.

With all these gun control laws in place I have yet to find a single one that has saved someones life, but I can find hundreds of stories where a gun has.

Somebody should tell Mike Goodyear that since he is so disturbed by seeing an openly carried gun at a school, he should contact his state senator and DEMAND that SB58 be passed immediately, so he doesn't have to look at those scary guns anymore.

Unfortunately Mr Goodyear would be the first person screaming if something happened in the school (Columbine) and nobody saved the poor children.

Moderator / Administrator
    As everybody should know by now, Michigan requires open carry on K-12 school grounds, despite a concealed pistol license being required to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    Somebody should tell Mike Goodyear that since he is so disturbed by seeing an openly carried gun at a school, he should contact his state senator and DEMAND that SB58 be passed immediately, so he doesn't have to look at those scary guns anymore.

Unfortunately Mr Goodyear would be the first person screaming if something happened in the school (Columbine) and nobody saved the poor children.
    Haha I like what you did there...see perfect example why SB58 needs to be passed, so they dont have to see our guns in PFZ in accordance with state law.
    The worst weapon is the human mind, its created and done things far worse than a gun can, has, or ever will. Its the human mind that tells the gun what to do and animates the inanimate object.

With all these gun control laws in place I have yet to find a single one that has saved someones life, but I can find hundreds of stories where a gun has.

Too bad he screwed up the fact you can OC in a bank, theater, ect. with a CPL and a CPL is required to carry openly on school grounds.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Too bad he screwed up the fact you can OC in a bank, theater, ect. with a CPL and a CPL is required to carry openly on school grounds.
    You can't expect media to get it right. After all it takes a 90 minutes seminar for Michigan open carry to fully explain the laws in Michigan. How can the news do it in two minutes? If someone can show me how, we need to shorten our seminar duration.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

This thread has been reported as a duplicate thread. Please avoid posting in it.
    Last edited by TheQ; 02-08-2012 at 01:20 AM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

There was so much misinformation in the comments section I had to register and leave a comment with some pertinent law. We have a lot of work to do because most of those people would get in trouble with their incomplete knowledge of the law in regards to OC.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Well it won't last long when the school bans guns. From the article:

TV5 did receive a statement from the district's superintendent.

In part, it reads: "Mindful of public concern about this issue, the Board of Education has directed its legal counsel to evaluate alternative means of regulating the possession of fire arms on school property. The board expects to obtain further legal counsel from its attorneys in the near future and conduct a full review of its options."
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    yeah, like intimidation and threats. they should call waterford to find out exactly how to circumvent the law, right ven?
    it's too bad they didn't mention that you MUST be a CPL holder to OC on school property... hope this doesn' get anyone jammed up.
    Last edited by smellslikemichigan; 02-08-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

If the CADL v MOC appeals decision goes our way AND they issue a broad enough ruling saying the State occupies the entire field of firearms, schools won't have a leg to stand on. Cross your fingers.

Who would do such a thing? Openly carrying a firearm on school grounds!! The nerve of some people.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 02-08-2012 at 10:57 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Who would do such a thing? Openly carrying a firearm on school grounds!! The nerve of some people.
    Yeah they should carry the gun concealed!

Note to those who are new: Unless you are exempt from 28.425o DO NOT CARRY CONCEALED IN A SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!! I was using sarcasm.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Yeah they should carry the gun concealed!

Note to those who are new: Unless you are exempt from 28.425o DO NOT CARRY CONCEALED IN A SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!! I was using sarcasm.

But, But, Dr. Todd carries in a school all the time....OC of course.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

I'll let you know how it goes when I go to vote on the 28th at a waterford school!! It won't be until about 6PM, I never had a problem in my last district but there's always a first time..

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    i doubt they will try to interfere with your right to vote... but then again, you never know
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Moderator / Administrator
    Just keep pounding it home - open carry is required of CPL holders on K-12 school grounds in Michigan.

More people need to routinely open cary on K-12 school grounds - that's the only way the public, press, and authoroties will figure out it's legal.

One technique to use is to where your permit openly around your neck, and aslkked why you are open carrying on K-12 school grounds by the media, just say "because that is what the law requires, otherwise I would be carrying concealed."

I OC in a school almost daily. Never an issue. Conferences, meetings with principal, you name it.

Blasted out with my Photon using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
    I OC in a school almost daily. Never an issue. Conferences, meetings with principal, you name it.

Blasted out with my Photon using Tapatalk
    Good to know that there are at least 2 who OC in a school daily.... I would have said 3 but I think the board member is only OCing a few times a month at most.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    yeah, like intimidation and threats. they should call waterford to find out exactly how to circumvent the law, right ven?
    it's too bad they didn't mention that you MUST be a CPL holder to OC on school property... hope this doesn' get anyone jammed up.
    Exactly.

Someone should tell Waterford about this thread, they won't listen to me, and I'm pretty sure they still think it's illegal.