• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

News story about a school board member open carrying on campus.

Yance

Nice to see that practically all of the comments are in support of the guy carrying. And most of them are citing law, which is also good to see.

Super Trucker

Somebody should tell Mike Goodyear that since he is so disturbed by seeing an openly carried gun at a school, he should contact his state senator and DEMAND that SB58 be passed immediately, so he doesn't have to look at those scary guns anymore.

Unfortunately Mr Goodyear would be the first person screaming if something happened in the school (Columbine) and nobody saved the poor children.

Yance

Somebody should tell Mike Goodyear that since he is so disturbed by seeing an openly carried gun at a school, he should contact his state senator and DEMAND that SB58 be passed immediately, so he doesn't have to look at those scary guns anymore.

Unfortunately Mr Goodyear would be the first person screaming if something happened in the school (Columbine) and nobody saved the poor children.

Haha I like what you did there...see perfect example why SB58 needs to be passed, so they dont have to see our guns in PFZ in accordance with state law.

xmanhockey7

Too bad he screwed up the fact you can OC in a bank, theater, ect. with a CPL and a CPL is required to carry openly on school grounds.

TheQ

Too bad he screwed up the fact you can OC in a bank, theater, ect. with a CPL and a CPL is required to carry openly on school grounds.

You can't expect media to get it right. After all it takes a 90 minutes seminar for Michigan open carry to fully explain the laws in Michigan. How can the news do it in two minutes? If someone can show me how, we need to shorten our seminar duration.;)

TheQ

This thread has been reported as a duplicate thread. Please avoid posting in it.

Last edited:

Bronson

There was so much misinformation in the comments section I had to register and leave a comment with some pertinent law. We have a lot of work to do because most of those people would get in trouble with their incomplete knowledge of the law in regards to OC.

Bronson

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Well it won't last long when the school bans guns. From the article:

TV5 did receive a statement from the district's superintendent.

In part, it reads: "Mindful of public concern about this issue, the Board of Education has directed its legal counsel to evaluate alternative means of regulating the possession of fire arms on school property. The board expects to obtain further legal counsel from its attorneys in the near future and conduct a full review of its options."

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
yeah, like intimidation and threats. they should call waterford to find out exactly how to circumvent the law, right ven?
it's too bad they didn't mention that you MUST be a CPL holder to OC on school property... hope this doesn' get anyone jammed up.

Last edited:

scot623

If the CADL v MOC appeals decision goes our way AND they issue a broad enough ruling saying the State occupies the entire field of firearms, schools won't have a leg to stand on. Cross your fingers.

xmanhockey7

Who would do such a thing? Openly carrying a firearm on school grounds!! The nerve of some people.
;)

Yeah they should carry the gun concealed!

Note to those who are new: Unless you are exempt from 28.425o DO NOT CARRY CONCEALED IN A SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!! I was using sarcasm.

Vmaxx

I'll let you know how it goes when I go to vote on the 28th at a waterford school!! It won't be until about 6PM, I never had a problem in my last district but there's always a first time..

Who would do such a thing? Openly carrying a firearm on school grounds!! The nerve of some people.
;)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Just keep pounding it home - open carry is required of CPL holders on K-12 school grounds in Michigan.

More people need to routinely open cary on K-12 school grounds - that's the only way the public, press, and authoroties will figure out it's legal.

One technique to use is to where your permit openly around your neck, and aslkked why you are open carrying on K-12 school grounds by the media, just say "because that is what the law requires, otherwise I would be carrying concealed."

Paul C

I OC in a school almost daily. Never an issue. Conferences, meetings with principal, you name it.

Blasted out with my Photon using Tapatalk