• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

glock 26 27 vs. M&P 9c or 40c

dashowdy

I have both a glock 17 2nd gen now and a M&P 9 fs, I love both guns and dont think I would part with either, but the glock is mine and the smith is my fiancee's. We are getting primed to take the CCHP course here soon in NC. While the full sizes are fine for OC which I do and she doesn't which would be the better choice between these two manufacturers. She really likes the grip and feel of the smith but prefers the glocks trigger and safety button on the trigger, it gives her more piece of mind if she were to CC. The only downside to this is the new glocks are running 500 to 550 but I can get a M&P for 400 bucks, so is the glock really worth the extra 100 bucks.

Need help because this is a real conundrum for me, although deciding which gun to pick up next is not really a bad problem to have.

09jisaac

It just depends on what you're wanting in a gun. If you want 100% reliability then you have chosen two great guns to compare. Glocks are highly renowned for their reliability but as of date I have only had 1 malfunction with my smith (with serviceable ammo, of course). The smith should have a similar "safety button" on the trigger, the trigger has two parts, you have to press the bottom part back to squeeze the trigger.

In my opinion, Glocks and the M&P are the same(smith designed the M&P off of the glock). Similar features, similar safeties, similar design. The only reason to choose one over the other is personal preference. I think the glocks are ugly (why do you need a pretty pistol to defend yourself?) and that they just don't feel right in my hand, so I went with the smith.

dashowdy

they are both excellent and I know they are both uber reliable, In the smaller guns I like the smith better but in the fs I find they are both equal in terms of shootability not necessarily comfort. So maybe it is meant to be with the M&P, now the age old question 9mm or 40.

I am invested only in 9mm right now I thought about moving up to the 40 for more power but I have ballistically tested my 9mm carry round for expansion and penetration, 147gr. t series and 147 gr. gold dot, and am satisfied. so my question is it worth it to move to the 40 considering I already have two 9mms or am I not missing out on anything. Plus I figure 9mm in a compact model will be about as much as my fiancee can handle in terms of recoil and shootability.

09jisaac

they are both excellent and I know they are both uber reliable, In the smaller guns I like the smith better but in the fs I find they are both equal in terms of shootability not necessarily comfort. So maybe it is meant to be with the M&P, now the age old question 9mm or 40.

I am invested only in 9mm right now I thought about moving up to the 40 for more power but I have ballistically tested my 9mm carry round for expansion and penetration, 147gr. t series and 147 gr. gold dot, and am satisfied. so my question is it worth it to move to the 40 considering I already have two 9mms or am I not missing out on anything. Plus I figure 9mm in a compact model will be about as much as my fiancee can handle in terms of recoil and shootability.

Just depends on you, once again. Do you feel that you can trust the 9mm with your life? Do you feel that the .40 is better? I choose the 9mm and feel that it can stop a threat just as well as any other, provided I do my part. I don't think that the .40 is very much better than the 9.

dashowdy

Just depends on you, once again. Do you feel that you can trust the 9mm with your life? Do you feel that the .40 is better? I choose the 9mm and feel that it can stop a threat just as well as any other, provided I do my part. I don't think that the .40 is very much better than the 9.

Yes I do, I recovered an expanded t-series out of some milk jugs filled with newspaper it went about 15 inches and expanded to roughy .75 inches. I probably will stick with 9mm I can practice more and am already very profecient with handguns in this caliber. That being said I see a M&P 9c in my future then if she doesn't like it I have an excuse to get a glock 26.