Thread: Gee, why would I need a gun in a park?

Gee, why would I need a gun in a park?

You don't. Being eaten is no excuse to kill a lion. Animals have rights too!
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    You don't. Being eaten is no excuse to kill a lion. Animals have rights too!
    You woudn't say that, even in jest, if you had heard of this manure.
    Court to decide if SeaWorld whales are illegal 'slaves'

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper1 View Post
    You woudn't say that, even in jest, if you had heard of this manure.
    Court to decide if SeaWorld whales are illegal 'slaves'

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
    Not surprising considering its the group that wants to make it illegal to kill any animal or consume meat, and wants to depopulate the planet of humans.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

this story kinda sucks because Animals are pretty cool. That being said, Making sure my son is alive trumps every other right that exists, Whether it be a human or animal attacker. Attackers give up their rights when they make bad decisions. sorry kitty.

Quote Originally Posted by DanieltheAnvil View Post
    this story kinda sucks because Animals are pretty cool. That being said, Making sure my son is alive trumps every other right that exists, Whether it be a human or animal attacker. Attackers give up their rights when they make bad decisions. sorry kitty.
    [/Sarcasm] But the poor kitty was abused and abandoned. No one to feed it, pet it, and love it. It was left in the cold outdoors and is disadvantaged. Then comes along this... human boy with his parents... well the poor little mountain lion was threatened in its rightful place of habitation. It was justified in lashing out and didn't know better being persecuted into thinking it is a second class creature. [/Sarcasm]

[/rant] Kill the cat! The parents should have been able to exercise their RIGHT and been OPENLY NONRESTRICTIVE Carrying a weapon and dispatched the threat on the spot! [/end rant]

About 22 years or so ago, a friend of mine son was killed by a mountain lion in CO. The 18 year old (IRC) was jogging along a school cross country path and the lion attacked from behind and killed him by biting him the neck. If I see any mountain lion in the woods or where ever, it's dead, if I can help it.

I remember this girl being killed by 2 coyotes in a Nat. Park. Surely a gun would have saved her.

http://http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8331106.stm

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.919779,-77.153526
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism." - George Washington, Farewell Address, 1796

Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    About 22 years or so ago, a friend of mine son was killed by a mountain lion in CO. The 18 year old (IRC) was jogging along a school cross country path and the lion attacked from behind and killed him by biting him the neck. If I see any mountain lion in the woods or where ever, it's dead, if I can help it.
    I hope you would be caught and convicted of any applicable hunting violations. Dangerous wild animals are almost essential to liberty. They give an indisputable reason for being armed that makes for an easy appeal to emotions.

Mountain lions are making a big come back. Since they are a protected species in many countries or in case of the U.S. its difficult to get a license to hunt them and in many cases, not as many hunters willing to hunt them. They are a very difficult prey to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by gunns View Post
    Mountain lions are making a big come back. Since they are a protected species in many countries or in case of the U.S. its difficult to get a license to hunt them and in many cases, not as many hunters willing to hunt them. They are a very difficult prey to hunt.
    Huh? I get a tag for them every year. Except this year. Unfortunately I did not go hunting at all.
    I've got this great spot near Elbe that has Grouse, Cougar, Black Bear, Elk and Deer.
    In October 2010, I believe, I went out for some Grouse but brought a rifle as well as it was also Cougar season. I had been seeing the tracks for this Cougar for some time and the week before I actually saw it. Unfortunatley on that day I left the rifle at home because I did not think I would need it. I was within 150m when I saw it. I will forever regret leaving the rifle at home.
    Anyways, back to the story. I was out for Grouse when I came across a woman walking by herself down the main trail. She stopped in her tracks when she saw me. I smiled and said good morning.
    She asked if I was hunting and I replied in the affirmative. I told her the Shotgun was for Grouse and the Pistol and Rifle for the Cougar I was after.
    She laughed and said there are no Cougars out here!
    I walked her about 75m back up the trail to show her a set of tracks I spied on the way in. Then I told her about the Black Bear and explained where I thought he spent most of his time.
    She thanked me and ran out of there!
    In that spot and a few others I have encountered an alarming number of people in the woods unarmed and alone. I find that they generaly have no clue as to what type of beasties are running around.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

It never ceases to amaze me just how ignorant most city folks are about wild life!! I live in a very densely populated area not too far from downtown Montgomery. People are dumbfounded when I tell them that there are at least two, and most probably more, whitetail deer within less than 100 yards from my house. I know there is at least one buck and I've seen both him and a doe.

Anybody want to take bets as to whether there are other animals, some of them dangerous, in the area? Just because you don't see them does not mean that they are not there.

Not surprising considering its the group that wants to make it illegal to kill any animal or consume meat, and wants to depopulate the planet of humans.

Be aware of this " Rights of Nature " crap.

I hope you would be caught and convicted of any applicable hunting violations. Dangerous wild animals are almost essential to liberty. They give an indisputable reason for being armed that makes for an easy appeal to emotions.
    You must have missed the last five words of my post; but that's ok, I understand the sentiment.

But I did learn something: I could have sworn since the AL F&G won't acknowledge mt lions in AL, there wasn't any hunting restriction; come to find out that there is no open season. So it would have to be self defense....

Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    You must have missed the last five words of my post; but that's ok, I understand the sentiment.

But I did learn something: I could have sworn since the AL F&G won't acknowledge mt lions in AL, there wasn't any hunting restriction; come to find out that there is no open season. So it would have to be self defense....
    "if I can help it", no I did not miss them, but coupled with the rest of what you said there is an implicit claim of disregarding anything but ability. Perhaps you did not mean to imply disregard of the law, but I find that doubtful given your use of the banana character. Of course it hardly matters as most wild cats are highly elusive and its highly unlikely you'd notice one with a field full of rabbits and fuzzy/shiny things fluttering in the wind.

Most 'big game' animals are cool....cool looking, stuffed and mounted on the wall of my ridiculously large den. I always carry a pistol when I hunt, gators are everywhere and you most likely will only know they are there when the get on ya.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by decklin
    I have encountered an alarming number of people in the woods unarmed and alone.
    I find that they generaly have no clue as to what type of beasties are running around.
    I'd usually be more concerned about the 2-legged sort, but understand that the 4-legged ones are dangerous in their own way. The human predators are probably more devious, & kill for the 'fun' of it. At least the puma or bear or whatever are trying to protect young or get food.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired
    It never ceases to amaze me just how ignorant most city folks are about wild life!!
    Having suffered through Summerfest & various other 'festivals' every summer here in Milwaukee, I've found that most city dwellers do better at wild life than most rural folks, at least for the volume & wildness of their parties, bars, etc. Most smaller-town people seem to have more sense & control. Probably has something to do with not being anonymous.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Most 'big game' animals are cool....cool looking, stuffed and mounted on the wall of my ridiculously large den. I always carry a pistol when I hunt, gators are everywhere and you most likely will only know they are there when the get on ya.
    I wish there was some big game in my region, I'd love to hunt such critters; the closest I've got is coyote and those varmint are invasive.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I'd usually be more concerned about the 2-legged sort, but understand that the 4-legged ones are dangerous in their own way. The human predators are probably more devious, & kill for the 'fun' of it. At least the puma or bear or whatever are trying to protect young or get food.

Having suffered through Summerfest & various other 'festivals' every summer here in Milwaukee, I've found that most city dwellers do better at wild life than most rural folks, at least for the volume & wildness of their parties, bars, etc. Most smaller-town people seem to have more sense & control. Probably has something to do with not being anonymous.
    Young cats are apt to kill for the fun of it. Have you never seen one play with its food? They can be dangerous and devious, just not very likely to take an adult on as prey. A prime reason for kids in rural areas to not leave the house unarmed.

Are you making a pun about crazy parties and living out in the wilderness?