• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gee, why would I need a gun in a park?

Daylen

You don't. Being eaten is no excuse to kill a lion. Animals have rights too!

Daylen

DanieltheAnvil

this story kinda sucks because Animals are pretty cool. That being said, Making sure my son is alive trumps every other right that exists, Whether it be a human or animal attacker. Attackers give up their rights when they make bad decisions. sorry kitty.

bones

this story kinda sucks because Animals are pretty cool. That being said, Making sure my son is alive trumps every other right that exists, Whether it be a human or animal attacker. Attackers give up their rights when they make bad decisions. sorry kitty.

[/Sarcasm] But the poor kitty was abused and abandoned. No one to feed it, pet it, and love it. It was left in the cold outdoors and is disadvantaged. Then comes along this... human boy with his parents... well the poor little mountain lion was threatened in its rightful place of habitation. It was justified in lashing out and didn't know better being persecuted into thinking it is a second class creature. [/Sarcasm]

[/rant] :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: Kill the :cuss: cat! The parents should have been able to exercise their RIGHT and been OPENLY NONRESTRICTIVE Carrying a weapon and dispatched the threat on the spot! [/end rant]

FTG-05

About 22 years or so ago, a friend of mine son was killed by a mountain lion in CO. The 18 year old (IRC) was jogging along a school cross country path and the lion attacked from behind and killed him by biting him the neck. If I see any mountain lion in the woods or where ever, it's dead, if I can help it.

Daylen

About 22 years or so ago, a friend of mine son was killed by a mountain lion in CO. The 18 year old (IRC) was jogging along a school cross country path and the lion attacked from behind and killed him by biting him the neck. If I see any mountain lion in the woods or where ever, it's dead, if I can help it.

I hope you would be caught and convicted of any applicable hunting violations. Dangerous wild animals are almost essential to liberty. They give an indisputable reason for being armed that makes for an easy appeal to emotions.

gunns

Mountain lions are making a big come back. Since they are a protected species in many countries or in case of the U.S. its difficult to get a license to hunt them and in many cases, not as many hunters willing to hunt them. They are a very difficult prey to hunt.

decklin

Mountain lions are making a big come back. Since they are a protected species in many countries or in case of the U.S. its difficult to get a license to hunt them and in many cases, not as many hunters willing to hunt them. They are a very difficult prey to hunt.

Huh? I get a tag for them every year. Except this year. Unfortunately I did not go hunting at all.
I've got this great spot near Elbe that has Grouse, Cougar, Black Bear, Elk and Deer.
In October 2010, I believe, I went out for some Grouse but brought a rifle as well as it was also Cougar season. I had been seeing the tracks for this Cougar for some time and the week before I actually saw it. Unfortunatley on that day I left the rifle at home because I did not think I would need it. I was within 150m when I saw it. I will forever regret leaving the rifle at home.
Anyways, back to the story. I was out for Grouse when I came across a woman walking by herself down the main trail. She stopped in her tracks when she saw me. I smiled and said good morning.
She asked if I was hunting and I replied in the affirmative. I told her the Shotgun was for Grouse and the Pistol and Rifle for the Cougar I was after.
She laughed and said there are no Cougars out here!
I walked her about 75m back up the trail to show her a set of tracks I spied on the way in. Then I told her about the Black Bear and explained where I thought he spent most of his time.
She thanked me and ran out of there!
In that spot and a few others I have encountered an alarming number of people in the woods unarmed and alone. I find that they generaly have no clue as to what type of beasties are running around.

SFCRetired

It never ceases to amaze me just how ignorant most city folks are about wild life!! I live in a very densely populated area not too far from downtown Montgomery. People are dumbfounded when I tell them that there are at least two, and most probably more, whitetail deer within less than 100 yards from my house. I know there is at least one buck and I've seen both him and a doe.

Anybody want to take bets as to whether there are other animals, some of them dangerous, in the area? Just because you don't see them does not mean that they are not there.

FTG-05

I hope you would be caught and convicted of any applicable hunting violations. Dangerous wild animals are almost essential to liberty. They give an indisputable reason for being armed that makes for an easy appeal to emotions.

You must have missed the last five words of my post; but that's ok, I understand the sentiment.

But I did learn something: I could have sworn since the AL F&G won't acknowledge mt lions in AL, there wasn't any hunting restriction; come to find out that there is no open season. So it would have to be self defense.... :banana:

Daylen

You must have missed the last five words of my post; but that's ok, I understand the sentiment.

But I did learn something: I could have sworn since the AL F&G won't acknowledge mt lions in AL, there wasn't any hunting restriction; come to find out that there is no open season. So it would have to be self defense.... :banana:

"if I can help it", no I did not miss them, but coupled with the rest of what you said there is an implicit claim of disregarding anything but ability. Perhaps you did not mean to imply disregard of the law, but I find that doubtful given your use of the banana character. Of course it hardly matters as most wild cats are highly elusive and its highly unlikely you'd notice one with a field full of rabbits and fuzzy/shiny things fluttering in the wind.

OC for ME

Most 'big game' animals are cool....cool looking, stuffed and mounted on the wall of my ridiculously large den. I always carry a pistol when I hunt, gators are everywhere and you most likely will only know they are there when the get on ya.

MKEgal

decklin said:
I have encountered an alarming number of people in the woods unarmed and alone.
I find that they generaly have no clue as to what type of beasties are running around.
I'd usually be more concerned about the 2-legged sort, but understand that the 4-legged ones are dangerous in their own way. The human predators are probably more devious, & kill for the 'fun' of it. At least the puma or bear or whatever are trying to protect young or get food.

SFCRetired said:
It never ceases to amaze me just how ignorant most city folks are about wild life!!
Having suffered through Summerfest & various other 'festivals' every summer here in Milwaukee, I've found that most city dwellers do better at wild life than most rural folks, at least for the volume & wildness of their parties, bars, etc. Most smaller-town people seem to have more sense & control. Probably has something to do with not being anonymous.

Daylen

Most 'big game' animals are cool....cool looking, stuffed and mounted on the wall of my ridiculously large den. I always carry a pistol when I hunt, gators are everywhere and you most likely will only know they are there when the get on ya.

I wish there was some big game in my region, I'd love to hunt such critters; the closest I've got is coyote and those varmint are invasive.

Daylen

I'd usually be more concerned about the 2-legged sort, but understand that the 4-legged ones are dangerous in their own way. The human predators are probably more devious, & kill for the 'fun' of it. At least the puma or bear or whatever are trying to protect young or get food.

Having suffered through Summerfest & various other 'festivals' every summer here in Milwaukee, I've found that most city dwellers do better at wild life than most rural folks, at least for the volume & wildness of their parties, bars, etc. Most smaller-town people seem to have more sense & control. Probably has something to do with not being anonymous.

Young cats are apt to kill for the fun of it. Have you never seen one play with its food? They can be dangerous and devious, just not very likely to take an adult on as prey. A prime reason for kids in rural areas to not leave the house unarmed.

Are you making a pun about crazy parties and living out in the wilderness?